|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » RPGWatch » Only 400 active users?

Default Only 400 active users?

February 22nd, 2017, 17:42
Originally Posted by Pladio View Post
I have seen quite a bit of discussion on Torment, Expeditions Vikings and Sacred Fire.

For the rest, I haven't and I get your point, but I do not think it is something you can force really.
I guess I'm hoping someone, perhaps a lurker or infrequent poster will see this and realize they completely overlooked the indie RPG forums. I even forget to check them sometimes. And I know there has even been talk of Mythros merging indie and general RPG thread but I don't know if I like that idea as it may result in the indie threads being buried quickly by mainstream RPG discussion.

I'm not a developer but I was I think I'd rather get criticism / skepticism than no response at all.
--
Currently Playing: Heroine's Quest, Quest For Infamy, Planescape: Torment
daveyd is offline

daveyd

daveyd's Avatar
Turn-based lifeform

#141

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: PA
Posts: 1,621
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Default 

February 22nd, 2017, 18:02
Originally Posted by posfan12 View Post
Pretty sure sociopaths need constant affirmation.
That doesn't even make sense. For one, I think you mean psychopath, which is the actual condition. "Sociopath" is just pop pshychology.

Second….how does that make any sense again?
Mustawd is offline

Mustawd

Mustawd's Avatar
Watchdog

#142

Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 149
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Default 

February 22nd, 2017, 18:18
Originally Posted by Mustawd View Post
That doesn't even make sense. For one, I think you mean psychopath, which is the actual condition. "Sociopath" is just pop pshychology.
No it's not. Sociopath used to be in the DSM, but it recent versions it's been replaced mainly by Antisocial Personality Disorder. They're all still used, and pretty much interchangeable.
--
"Orwell was almost exactly wrong in a strange way. He thought the world would end with Big Brother watching us, but it ended with us watching Big Brother." Alan Moore
Ripper is offline

Ripper

Ripper's Avatar
Ngikufisela iwela

#143

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 7,003
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)

Default 

February 22nd, 2017, 19:47
Originally Posted by Mortmal View Post
You build yourself a house but there's no effect in the game.
The house has an effect: it destroys the scarcity of resources. Which, in a product that is supposed to be designed around resources scarcity, is a tremendous effect.
--
Backlog:0
ChienAboyeur is offline

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

#144

Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,111
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Default 

February 24th, 2017, 00:31
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
No it's not. Sociopath used to be in the DSM, but it recent versions it's been replaced mainly by Antisocial Personality Disorder. They're all still used, and pretty much interchangeable.
Not by people who know what they're talking about. *shrug* That's what a psychologist relative used to tell me all the time anyhow.

But good reference on the DSM.
Mustawd is offline

Mustawd

Mustawd's Avatar
Watchdog

#145

Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 149
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Default 

February 24th, 2017, 00:51
Originally Posted by Mustawd View Post
Not by people who know what they're talking about. *shrug* That's what a psychologist relative used to tell me all the time anyhow.

But good reference on the DSM.
You do get people that prefer or dislike one term or the other, and there are some theorists who make a distinction between them. But, in the main, they're used to refer to the same thing. If anything, you could say that sociopathy is an outdated term, but not pop-psychology.
--
"Orwell was almost exactly wrong in a strange way. He thought the world would end with Big Brother watching us, but it ended with us watching Big Brother." Alan Moore
Ripper is offline

Ripper

Ripper's Avatar
Ngikufisela iwela

#146

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 7,003
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)

Default 

February 24th, 2017, 15:44
I think we can all agree that, whatever the term, it applies to the Codex.
posfan12 is offline

posfan12

posfan12's Avatar
Watchdog

#147

Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 165
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Default 

February 24th, 2017, 16:05
I think you have to be half nuts to post on the Codex, but since I'm 100% nuts, I don't have a problem with it
--
c-computer, r-role, p-playing, g-game, nut-extreme fan
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut
crpgnut is offline

crpgnut

crpgnut's Avatar
Grumpy Role Player
Original Sin Donor

#148

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: St. Louis, Mo USA
Posts: 7,274
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

February 25th, 2017, 06:43
Originally Posted by DarkUnderlord View Post
Your opinion is stupid and wrong and the inane worthless drivel you spout out of your vocal orifice is akin to the sounds a dying monkey makes when it's been kicked out of its tribe.

Your favourite game sucks and you're a lesser human being for liking it.

RPGs would improve as a whole if people like you stuck to arcade games and kept their opinions to themselves. Scientific studies have been done as to the detrimental impact you're having on the gaming industry and we're all poorer for it.
This is the sort of drivel only a man who spends his evenings romancing kangaroos can produce.

Also Watch should totally implement the buttons you that people were talking about in the first few pages of this thread. They are F'ing awesome until some old bastard decides to get management to take them away.

edit: Am I an active member again now?
oldmanpaco is offline

oldmanpaco

oldmanpaco's Avatar
Master of Siestas

#149

Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

February 25th, 2017, 06:47
Originally Posted by posfan12 View Post
I think we can all agree that, whatever the term, it applies to the Codex.
Rude.

Mustawd is offline

Mustawd

Mustawd's Avatar
Watchdog

#150

Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 149
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Default 

February 26th, 2017, 04:01
Originally Posted by oldmanpaco View Post
This is the sort of drivel only a man who spends his evenings romancing kangaroos can produce.

Also Watch should totally implement the buttons you that people were talking about in the first few pages of this thread. They are F'ing awesome until some old bastard decides to get management to take them away.

edit: Am I an active member again now?
Also, we should point out a new member's join date whenever we disagree with them because that's obviously a logical and valid way to win an argument.
--
Currently Playing: Heroine's Quest, Quest For Infamy, Planescape: Torment
daveyd is offline

daveyd

daveyd's Avatar
Turn-based lifeform

#151

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: PA
Posts: 1,621
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Default 

March 12th, 2017, 06:15
Originally Posted by daveyd View Post
Also, we should point out a new member's join date whenever we disagree with them because that's obviously a logical and valid way to win an argument.
Join Date: Apr 2013
posfan12 is offline

posfan12

posfan12's Avatar
Watchdog

#152

Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 165
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Default 

March 12th, 2017, 06:37
Originally Posted by daveyd View Post
Also, we should point out a new member's join date whenever we disagree with them because that's obviously a logical and valid way to win an argument.
And the number of posts.

Also, back in the day Corwin always reminded me I wasn't actually a member whenever I posted on a news thread on.
--
Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520
Lucky Day is offline

Lucky Day

Lucky Day's Avatar
Daywatch

#153

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: The Uncanny Valley
Posts: 4,537
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Default 

March 12th, 2017, 14:41
This entire thread was an amusing read, thanks for that. And actually, if the Codexers represented in this thread were actually representative of the Codex I would post alot more in those forums.
TomRon is offline

TomRon

TomRon's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#154

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sweden
Posts: 2,503
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

Default 

March 15th, 2017, 10:20
Originally Posted by BoboTheMighty View Post
It is good on sites like reddit (where you can silence trolls that way), but most discussions here are fairly civil, so there's no need for it. And grabbing "likes" is not really any better.
That codex icon parade they have below the comments is pretty hilarious though.
dislike on reddit is also used to silence the minority by the majority. Not very fair in 21 century.
Archangel is offline

Archangel

SasqWatch

#155

Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 3,436
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Default 

March 17th, 2017, 12:40
Here's the vote from the Norwegian Jury: Codex or Watch? Obviously both have their places, their good sides and their weaknesses, and that's just fine. Let the 100 flowers blossom.

I like it here, and I don't mind the lowish number of active users. I have nothing against that bigger site, but for strictly personal reasons the Codex is not a place for me.

pibbur who can't remember if he ever created an account at the big C, but if so he hasn't used it for ages. And who would dislike a dislike button.
--
d++a63e++TU4567'!S'!89!A!WM!LuC++++u+++uF+++nR——nS ++++wC—-o++++wS——uLB++++

1. The cat is alive! And pissed!!!
2. It's been 82 years. The cat is dead, and the stench is unbearable!!!
Last edited by pibbur who; March 17th, 2017 at 14:35.
pibbur who is offline

pibbur who

pibbur who's Avatar
Number 14
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#156

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bergen, Norway
Posts: 3,515
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

Default 

March 21st, 2017, 18:26
The codex could use more people with intelligent things to discuss and say about RPGs who aren't misogynist nazis. I frequent there because I can't find any other place (other than the dead-as-doornails GameBanshee) that has such intelligent analysis of rpgs both old and new. It means putting up with insults, nazis, anti-queer propoganda, but some of the most highbrow and entertaining discussions ive ever seen on the net have taken place there. But they want to drive good people away (at least a small, vocal chunk of them do) and it won't get better without others refusing to be intimidated just because a small group of assholes want their own shitlord "safespace". Dont let them. Argue, fight, give your opinion but make sure it's thought out.

there's a reason this site is dead and it has more to do with the fact that people spend pages discussing games theyve never played, arent willing to try new ideas or old classics, and often give nothing more erudite than "I liked it bro, you liked it bro? sweet bro." without backing claims up with concrete examples.

But TONS of people love the Watch as a news aggregator, the forums have driven plenty of posters to other waters.
aethervagrant is offline

aethervagrant

Traveler

#157

Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Default 

March 28th, 2017, 13:24
there's a reason this site is dead and it has more to do with the fact that people spend pages discussing games theyve never played, arent willing to try new ideas or old classics, and often give nothing more erudite than "I liked it bro, you liked it bro? sweet bro." without backing claims up with concrete examples.
I'm not sure if you're referring to the Watch here?

Because that hasn't been my experience with it.

There's been plenty of in-depth discussion about games throughout the years. Not always amiable discussion - but very rarely Codex-level hostile.

Also, there's a lot less unnecessary noise and insecurity-based posturing.

Maybe that's not a good thing? I don't know. But I prefer exchanges when participants are reasonably open-minded.

Now, I've been active on many forums in my time - and I've yet to find as measured and tolerant a site as the Watch that deals with gaming. I should know, as very few sites tolerate my style at length like this.

That said, it's true that it seems less active than it used to - but that could be my imagination.

NewDArt

Guest

#158

Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)

Default 

March 29th, 2017, 10:47
Originally Posted by NewDArt View Post
I'm not sure if you're referring to the Watch here?

Because that hasn't been my experience with it.

There's been plenty of in-depth discussion about games throughout the years. Not always amiable discussion - but very rarely Codex-level hostile.

Also, there's a lot less unnecessary noise and insecurity-based posturing.

Maybe that's not a good thing? I don't know. But I prefer exchanges when participants are reasonably open-minded.

Now, I've been active on many forums in my time - and I've yet to find as measured and tolerant a site as the Watch that deals with gaming. I should know, as very few sites tolerate my style at length like this.

That said, it's true that it seems less active than it used to - but that could be my imagination.
The activity will be back to normal as you are back Good to have you here again.
GothicGothicness is offline

GothicGothicness

GothicGothicness's Avatar
SasqWatch

#159

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,030
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

March 29th, 2017, 10:50
Originally Posted by GothicGothicness View Post
The activity will be back to normal as you are back Good to have you here again.
As conceited as I am, I doubt I can force people to come back and post again. Wish I could, though.

Also, thank you!

BTW, while I was lurking I came across some screenshots of your game. Nice job!

NewDArt

Guest

#160

Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » RPGWatch » Only 400 active users?
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 21:27.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright by RPGWatch