Origin - The Roots of CRPGs @ Bitmob

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Bitmob sent word the next installment of their Forgotten Ruins series is up, discussing the role of Origin in the history of RPGs. A taste:
From his tentative steps with Akalebeth and then on to the first Ultima and its sequel, Richard Garriott clearly saw just how successful his computer role-playing game was going to be when the cash began rolling in and the phone calls never stopped.
Garriott (aka Lord British to his fans) founded Origin Systems in '83 partly as a result of the series's runaway popularity. The Ultima games would become the standard bearer alongside other pioneers such as Wizardry in defining the early years of the CRPG. Even in Japan, Ultima and Richard Garriott had received the kind of accolades -- and merchandising -- that had been reserved only for properties like Hello Kitty.
Ultima's amazing success on both sides of the world owed itself as much to Garriott's hard work as it later did in challenging the player later with social questions and deep narratives that expanded the fictional world of Britannia, such as when Ultima 4 revolutionized the genre again in '85 by replacing the typical world-destroying threat at the end, which stamped its chest with even more accolades from the press and CRPG fans in general.
More information.

Man that article makes me miss the 80's/early 90's!

I started playing Ultima I last year, after having decided to (try) play every-rpg-ever... Thought it`ll be a chore, but once you get used to the graphics (they`re great actually :) it`s a very playable game...

tried the same with Wizardry I - now thats a different story :)

I started playing Ultima I last year, after having decided to (try) play every-rpg-ever… Thought it`ll be a chore, but once you get used to the graphics (they`re great actually :) it`s a very playable game…

tried the same with Wizardry I - now thats a different story :)

How so? I'm going on an old-school to semi-old-school kick myself. When I'm done with u6p, I'm going to play the two World of Ultimas, then the completely U7 (undecided on u8, I never finished it when it came out). I was thinking of hitting Wizardy and M&M after that.

And I've still got some more moderns to play: Arcanum, Ps:T, Fallout 1 & 2, Divine Divinity.

I think I've just lost patience with new games. I loved NWN2 OC, lost interest in MotB and MoW though. Plus the complexities of high level characters in those games really turns me off.

Wizardry I-IV (or I-III don`t remember now) are just about as hardcore as you can get… Unforgiving and an absolute nightmare to map…
But, by all means , give`em a go…I`ll definitely try again myself, just need to be in some, uh, ultra-tough mood :)
The fourth one is cool- you get to play as the evil wizard against the Adventurers…

(also big envy: you still got both Fallouts to get thru! :)

I actually started the first Fallout right after I bought it from GOG, but I didn't get very far before I decided to go back to NWN2 for a while. Same with Ps:T. Going to push through them both though as I'm sure they will eventually grab me.

Back
Top Bottom