RPGWatch 2008 Game of the Year - Most Promising RPG

It's amusing how Diablo 3 grabbed the top spots, regardless that it surely won't be released this year. In fact, we'll be lucky if it sees the light of day in 2010...

I'm waiting for Puzzle Quest Galactrix and Divity 2. I love Divine Divinity, even though I still haven't finished it. I play in to bursts of a week or so, then forget it for half a year. I doubt Diablo 3 will come this year.

The problem with AoD for me, is you can't play as a mage. Any game which doesn't permit that gets placed behind games which do when I rank which games I intend to buy. I may still buy AoD if it gets a good review from people I trust ( say Mike here at the Watch), but it's not yet on my MUST have list.

Editors, what were you thinking? AoD didn't even rate a mention from you? Shame!

It was my #5 ... which isn't bad given my love of the top 3 and how I gave Eschalon Book I my indie RPG of the year last year.

What was AOD ?

Hmm, well, "most" promising is a strange concept as it seems to carry some implicit knowledge or at least sense of what the games will be like. None of the games mentioned stand out as obviously more promising - so I'm thinking they could all be great games.
Well, AoD is very promising in a literal sense. The developers are very open and have given countless examples of gameplay, writing and graphics. Features are discussed on their public forums. So I would say AoD is the most promising game because it promises alot.

I hope Risen will be a great game, but I hardly know anything about it, so I can't consider it very promising.

Well, AoD is very promising in a literal sense. The developers are very open and have given countless examples of gameplay, writing and graphics. Features are discussed on their public forums. So I would say AoD is the most promising game because it promises alot.

I hope Risen will be a great game, but I hardly know anything about it, so I can't consider it very promising.

All the games mentioned promise a lot. In nearly 30 years of gaming, I've heard developers make MANY promises and to me that's just hype. No, I need more insight before I'd be able to recognize one over the other.

So for me, personally, I look at the potential and that's where the Alien CRPG stands out. That's just because I'm a huge fan of sci-fi RPGs and the Alien franchise/settting in particular. The first two films are - to me - absolute masterpieces and the universe remains largely untapped. So much potential and so few examples of it being done right. AvP2 is the only game I'd call really good since Aliens from the mid-eighties on the C64.

@Myrthos: Thanks.

I've got a bad memory for names.

The Alien RPG sounds allright, but there is hardly any info on the game yet, is there? Though it might come out before Diablo III :)

Most promising games in 2009 for me would be Age of Decadence, Geneforge 5 (I know it's the same old same old, but it's going to be like an end of an era for me, if I muster my strenght to finish IV before hand, not to mention it gets a merit with the possibilities of a new project) and the I2 projects (Galactrix, Deathbringer, etc). I know I'm missing out the big name titles, but since in the last couple of years I've felt quite disappointed by the likes of them, I'll be aproaching them with zero expectations this time round. Though Divinity 2 and Risen do sound good. Dragon Age I gave up on the second I heard about the console versions (something that Bio were quite adamant before the EA buyout that would not be done) and the title (DA Origins it sounds like the pilot episode for a TV series, and while I'm allright with both pilots and series, I hate it when I get a felling that I'm not getting a complete product. I'm perfectly fine with sequels as long as I don't get the message TO BE CONTINUED in my face straight from the box). Diablo 3 sounds allright for the moment, but it'll probably get the Starcraft trilogy treatment.

For me the "most promise" means which games I'm the most sure I will like. For me that means the indie games AOD and EB2. Games from the big name companies are pretty much a roller coaster ride for me, for every feature I love there is something I hate. The last game I played that had everything headed in the right direction was EB1. (Don't get me wrong, a lot of things in EB1 could use some work, but nothing needed to be thrown out and redone from scratch which is more than I can say for any AAA title I have played in the last 5 years.)

I know the time to answer this was when the poll ran, but I was apparently unconscious for that poll and the 2008 goty.

If "most promising" means most likely to sell big, then I gotta go with Diablo 3 (if it ships in 2009). However, the ones I'm most looking forward to (from the list here) are: Dragon Age, AoD, Alpha Protocol, and, well, Diablo 3 by default (no matter what decade it drops in). I've only just discovered Risen (again, apparently I've been in a coma or something), and I am definitely intrigued.

Actually, depending on definition the Ultima 6 Project Archon has already displayed sufficient material to be at the very least highly promising. Entire new lands (for the gargoyles) have recently been created and are currently undergoing testing. This will be a massive re-creation with considerable new content (that was not found in the original), so make sure you still have a copy of Dungeon Siege (it's available in bins for $5) as the game itself will be FREE!!

links to what? if you want screenshots or other media you're out of luck unfortunately. there is very little known about the game even though it's been known of for i think over a year now.

I doubt we'll see Alien this year. Alpha Protocol is obviously Obsidians big release in 2009, and then we'll start to hear things about Aliens.

Josh Sawyer is the Lead for the Alien RPG which, I presume, is the reason why we haven't seen any updates for The Black Hound mod he started.

Yeah, that in itself is pretty meh, The Black Hound mod I was actually looking forward to. In a way.

Back
Top Bottom