Updated Ati Fix: Flashlight Flickering Solved, New postprocess folder without flashli

player1

Watchdog
From Deep Shadow forums:
sq_paradox said:
So after much toiling I think I have solved the flashlight/headlight flickering issue left by the original ATI postprocess fix.

I scoured Rage 3D's forum, as well as this one and its Russian equivalent for any indication of who might have made this patch or how they did it. Finally, someone suggested that a completely empty HDR file would fix the problem (and create others of course). I tried it; it did not. However, it gave me the idea that the problem might be in the files from the postprocess patch rather not ones still packed in the grp file. So I tried the same with the other files, and voilа: no more flickering.

I quickly realized that the problem was localized to ingame location so, choosing one file, I used a binary process of elimination to find out exactly where the problem was. Eventually I narrowed it to a single line. Commenting it out solved the problem but the flashlight seemed to lose some of its texture. I tweaked around the values and the flicker can be virtually eliminated without commenting out the lline, but I didn't want to spend the time fine tuning it (probably for each planet individually). Thus the corresponding line is commented out in all files in the postprocess folder. The ship file has also been added to eliminate the flickering on board your ship.

I tested the headlights and flashlight on the Goldyn and the flashlight on Gli, my ship, and a station. I have yet to notice any ill effects on other parts of the game but please post if you do.

TLDR: I fixed the flashlight/headlight flickering here's the updated postprocess folder.

Alternate Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?5ut4ftddteb64rj

Feel free to add, if I missed something...

Attachments

• postprocess.zip
    12.9 KB · Views: 65
i installed the 1.4 patch- and i had bad flickering.the i used this folder but the flickering remains. what i´m doing wrong?

Did you install the patch with the flicker fix option enabled?

hey- many thanks for the reply ! yes i did check the flicker-fix box - i think the problem was that i messed up the install-path and the postprocess-folder stayed outside the precursors folder… i then copied the flicker fix from another poll ….i thought i messed it all up again but somehow i managed to make this work.at least it seems to run all very good now. no flickers. voiceovers are correct- i´m really happy !
:D after years waiting for the game and then gamersgate having it on sale,but they ran out of serials… some more days waiting to get an key, trying to install all the patches- re-download the whole thing and repeat… was probably the most nerve-shredding installation i had since Spore… :D
but it looks like it is worth it- the game really seems to be amazing. :)
also thanks to your awesome work on this patches and such. thank you so much !!

Does this work with ATI series 5000 and 6000?

Saw another flicker fix on filefront, however it was only for series 4000.

Back
Top Bottom