RPGWatch - Shadowrun Chronicles Impressions

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
I was given a free review copy of Shadowrun Chronicles: Boston Lockdown from Cliffhanger Productions. Since I'm very busy these days, here is a quick impression.

Well hello everyone! This will be my first non-interview article for the site. So, lets get started as I was sent a free Steam key for Shadowrun Chronicles:Boston Lockdown from Cliffhanger Productions.

When the game was first announced on Kickstarter under the name, Shadowrun Online, back in July 2012, I wasn't interested very much. To me I saw the online part of the name, and assumed it will just be another online game that ruins the Shadowrun name once again. Boy was I proven wrong.
More information.

I was waiting for this...

Thanks, Couch!

I didn't really get anything new from this that I didn't already know from trailer or looking at pictures on steam.
This reads more like a introduction to a review than first impressions.

Great job, Couch! I hope you do more of these. I will PM you some pointers if you'd like.

Keep it up! :party:

Thank you Aubrielle & Fluent.:)

Seems some members cant read this an impression not a full review.

Hmm. Thanks Couch. From your impressions, I'm still really on the fence about this one as I'd play it single player. If its not "good" in single player, I'll pass. I have too many games in my library or on my wish list as it is.

I really enjoyed the previous two games, but if this really requires going to some other site to do....whatever, I'm out. They take that out at some point, I might take a look in the future.

I really enjoyed the previous two games, but if this really requires going to some other site to do….whatever, I'm out. They take that out at some point, I might take a look in the future.

Note that Shadowrun Chronicles is made by a completely different developer (Cliffhanger Productions) than Shadowrun Returns & Dragonfall (Harebrained Schemes). Apparently it's possible to play SR Chronicles as a single-player game, but from what Couch said it sounds like it still requires being connected to their server.

Well let me ask how many of you play Diablo 3? As Shadowrun Chronicles uses the same method Blizzard uses to make you play most of their games nowadays.

Yes it requires you to log-on to a server, but you can play solo, or with others. As I said in the article Cliffhanger Productions wanted to emulate the table top game.

They succeeded as the game is similar to Harebrained Schemes version. The only difference is the game uses hubs, has voice-overs, and the combat is faster.

Did I see some sort of ghost bear in that trailer around the 0:39 mark???

Well let me ask how many of you play Diablo 3? As Shadowrun Chronicles uses the same method Blizzard uses to make you play most of their games nowadays.

Yes it requires you to log-on to a server, but you can play solo, or with others. As I said in the article Cliffhanger Productions wanted to emulate the table top game.
Blizzard (sort of) get away with it only because they are "Blizzard".
I don't see any reason for a small (and unproven) indie developer to do the same.

Last edited:
I never played Diablo Three for that very same reason, the only time I accept an online requirement or registering is for an mmo. Ever. Online requirements, Uplay, or Origin are dealbreakers for me.

From what I saw this could be a game I would enjoy. Though, I would almost certainly play this solo.

Guess I will wait for a sale...

I never played Diablo Three for that very same reason, the only time I accept an online requirement or registering is for an mmo. Ever. Online requirements, Uplay, or Origin are dealbreakers for me.

I want this. I have to admit that was a part of this I did not like(online). That is one of the reasons I never purchased D3.

From what I saw this could be a game I would enjoy. Though, I would almost certainly play this solo.

Guess I will wait for a sale…

greenmangaming has a code you can use on their site that will drop the price to 23 for use with steam.

Typo in " that it's more fact paced than"

Same as couch I was not that interested with the game but I followed them on Facebook anyways. However I didn't really read most of the stuff they wrote, so it was actually surprising for me that they released that game with a name I didn't hear of.
And from what I can see from other media the ratings for the game are good-but-not-great so far.

Did you, by any chance play Jagged Alliance Online from the same developer? Any comparisons? I actually enjoyed JA:Online for about 10 hours or so. Which isn't much, but a lot for me as I never spent so much time on any other browser game.

Is there some actual story in the game? Or is it purely combat focused?
I'd also like to hear more about the combat. If it is as abstracted as Firaxis XCom, or more detailed like JA2. How good is the overview in combat? How good can you plan the outcome? How much randomness is in there? What are your tactical thoughts each turn?

Back
Top Bottom