Pillars of Eternity II - THQ Nordic & Versus Evil Deal

I also tend to dislike the "lets be everything" approach to games. My one issue with DOS2 actually was that the ability to change everyone, including followers and the player, at any time to anything was annoying. I just didn't do it beyond some small tweaks but I tend to prefer a few more restrictions to keep things unique. Still I suppose that is a different case and done more so people could play with the followers they wanted and not worry about having every class in the party.

Anyhow right or wrong, good or bad, I am just not a fan of respecs and characters being able to do everything.

What were their motivations and reasons to do that? Better overview in combat?

Less cluttered combat (less party member and enemies) and easier to manage the party abilities (there is a lot more actives in POE2 than POE1). Deadfire beta at level 5 is already a PITA to manage without the AI scripting (but we have AI scripting now).

Also, people expecting Deadfire to be a carbon copy of the Infinity games, please don't bother buying the game. The only thing in common between the two is "isometric party based RPG".

What were their motivations and reasons to do that? Better overview in combat?
I haven't read anything official, but Josh Sawyer did post something on his blog I recall when the game was first announced. If I were to hesitate a guess, it'd be based upon player feedback of the chaotic nature of combat from the first game (certainly not my personal experience, but that's ok) This would be logically consistent with the fact that combat speed is going to come down a bit too in Deadfire.

There's also other factors to consider such as the number of companions in the game and maybe some minor balancing issues with regards to the multi-classing system, but that's just theoretical from me at this point. :)

I know Feargus Urquhart has also mentioned the fact that five means all major RPG roles are met within a party composition (tank, healer, ranged, damage dealer, magic..) so there's that comfort factor too for players. It's not ideal for me (I like the complexity of six characters and its symbolic history) but I'm hoping the game will compensate in other facets.

Edit:
Thanks for answering for me Az. :)

Back
Top Bottom