|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Default What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

March 19th, 2018, 20:36
Watched Annihilation - I wasn't that impressed to be honest. Quite stylish, but I thought the characters and dialogue were bland and the story was a bit weak.

In terms of the Alien films, for me its Alien by a mile; then Aliens, which is a great deal of fun. Parts 3, 4, Covenant and Promethius were just bad imo. Resurrection wasn't too bad until the end, but boy did they blow it…!
Pongo is offline

Pongo

Pongo's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#3641

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Brussels
Posts: 1,372
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

Default 

March 20th, 2018, 05:11
I don't agree that Prometheus and Covenant are as bad as a lot of people claim.

I do think they're poor as far as their connection to the other Alien films, but I like them on their own.

Alien Resurrection was, by far, the worst of the original quadrilogy. The plot, especially towards the end, was just laughably bad. It's a shame because it has a great cast imo.
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#3642

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 25,176
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)

Default 

March 20th, 2018, 07:08
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
Interesting. I hated Covenant yet Alien 3 with it's claustrophobic execution is my #1.
But it doesn't even have hairworks in 2018!!

Yeah, the ending of resurrection was pretty bad. That poor baby. Pretty stupid how it got sucked out a hole, but at least I felt sorry for it. Who was the real monster kinda thing.

I loved the idea of the repeated experiments to bring Ripley back from a DNA sample. Then the room of failures and the "KILL ME!" one was one of my favourite scenes in the whole series.

You also have the aliens showing their intelligence more than in any of the other films how they sacrificed one of their own to escape. Sacrifice is a very human concept, I think. You always have to make a sacrifice to survive in the human world. If you don't make it sooner it will make itself later.

Also, that "WHATS INSIDE ME?!" scene was awesome. Loved that bit!

The smuggler crew were pretty well cast. I liked all those characters.

But, yeah, they sort of called it in towards the end. Could have easily left it as a cliffhanger for a sequel and avoided such a silly ending.
Last edited by SirJames; March 20th, 2018 at 07:22.
SirJames is offline

SirJames

SirJames's Avatar
SasqWatch

#3643

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,653
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)

Default 

March 20th, 2018, 14:30
At least in Prometheus the scientists actually acted like they were somewhat intelligent. Covenant takes the stupid/moronic exit long before any creatures show up, the moment they changed their destination was the same moment I picked up a book and sighed, knowing what was coming.
Carnifex is offline

Carnifex

SasqWatch

#3644

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ormond Beach, FL.
Posts: 7,055
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

Default 

March 20th, 2018, 15:21
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
At least in Prometheus the scientists actually acted like they were somewhat intelligent.
I'm not defending the scientists in Covenant here (they were dumb), but the scientists in Prometheus were worse. Examples that immediately spring to mind - plunging their fingers into alien goo to see what it does, trying to pet a sinister alien snake-vagina monster as if it might be a friendly dog, taking their helmets off, etc etc. I had no sympathy for them when they got the inevitable consequences of their dumb actions.
Pongo is offline

Pongo

Pongo's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#3645

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Brussels
Posts: 1,372
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

Default 

March 20th, 2018, 19:28
All of the movies after 2 or three had too many stupid people doing stupid things. I too lose interest in lousy screenwriting at that point.
Thrasher is offline

Thrasher

Thrasher's Avatar
Wheeee!

#3646

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 15,295
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

Default 

March 21st, 2018, 04:20
Annihilation was weird, trippy fun, like something from the fevered brain of William Hope Hodgson transferred to a modern setting. The mutated wolf-bear that absorbs the dying psyche of its last victim and echos it through mimicking the victim's dying screams & pleas for help was almost pure Hodgson but there was a little bit of everything thrown into the soup which resulted in a rather flavorful, satisfying dish.
JackOfOwls is offline

JackOfOwls

JackOfOwls's Avatar
Sentinel

#3647

Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 277
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

March 21st, 2018, 09:26
Originally Posted by JackOfOwls View Post
Annihilation was weird, trippy fun, like something from the fevered brain of William Hope Hodgson transferred to a modern setting. The mutated wolf-bear that absorbs the dying psyche of its last victim and echos it through mimicking the victim's dying screams & pleas for help was almost pure Hodgson but there was a little bit of everything thrown into the soup which resulted in a rather flavorful, satisfying dish.
Still in some theaters in the US … damn, would like to see it, but not enough for that.
--
-- Mike
txa1265 is offline

txa1265

txa1265's Avatar
SasqWatch
Moderator

#3648

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Corning, NY USA
Posts: 14,020
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

Default 

March 21st, 2018, 16:04
Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
Still in some theaters in the US … damn, would like to see it, but not enough for that.
Is it still on Netflix? That's where I saw it. Speaking of which, I recently got free NetFlix because I bought a "new" Amazon Fire TV Stick off of ebay, and the con man that sold it to me as new neglected to delete his working NetFlix account. haha. Serves ya right, ya bastard. Now I think I'll watch The Cloverfield Paradox tonight, also on Netflix, while sitting in my comfy couch in front of my big screen TV with an assortment of snacks and a cold one right beside me. Suck it down, ebay loser
JackOfOwls is offline

JackOfOwls

JackOfOwls's Avatar
Sentinel

#3649

Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 277
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Default 

March 21st, 2018, 16:52
I'd skip the most recent Cloverfield film, you'll be looking for a refund on the ninety minutes of your life that you lose to it.
Carnifex is offline

Carnifex

SasqWatch

#3650

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ormond Beach, FL.
Posts: 7,055
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

Default 

March 21st, 2018, 17:05
I don't know what is wrong with me. First i dislike anilihation; and then I will add that i enjoyed cloverfield 2 a lot more than cloverfield 1.

Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
I'd skip the most recent Cloverfield film, you'll be looking for a refund on the ninety minutes of your life that you lose to it.
you is offline

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#3651

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: usa - boston
Posts: 5,270
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)

Default 

March 21st, 2018, 17:35
Originally Posted by you View Post
I don't know what is wrong with me. First i dislike anilihation; and then I will add that i enjoyed cloverfield 2 a lot more than cloverfield 1.
Do you mean Cloverfield Lane vs the original found footage film? If so I agree - I thought it was much better. I didn't like Paradox much though.
Pongo is offline

Pongo

Pongo's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#3652

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Brussels
Posts: 1,372
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

Default 

March 21st, 2018, 18:48
Cloverfield the second was just fine, actually an improvement over the first, as far as I'm concerned. The third iteration, however, is pure nonsense.
Carnifex is offline

Carnifex

SasqWatch

#3653

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ormond Beach, FL.
Posts: 7,055
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

Default 

March 21st, 2018, 18:49
Though I enjoy some classic kaiju, I never had a desire to watch the first Cloverfield more than once. I too preferred the follow-up, especially when it completely flew off the rails in the last part. Just didn't expect that so i was pleasantly surprised. I'll still watch (or attempt to watch) Cloverfield Paradox for the purpose of trying to play completest.
JackOfOwls is offline

JackOfOwls

JackOfOwls's Avatar
Sentinel

#3654

Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 277
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Default 

March 21st, 2018, 20:20
I'd say 10 Cloverfield Lane was a good film, with some engaging performances and decent writing. Whether one liked where it went was bit more a matter of taste. The latest Cloverfield thingie had very little to recommend it, IMO. All I could say, is that if they had settled on the comic-horror tone that Chris O'Dowd brings in, they might have had something. As it is, the tonal shifts are jarring, and it's a bit of a mess.

Annihilation is an interesting one. I really liked it, but it clearly divides opinion with those who feel it's a bit style over substance. For my money, I found the style was an important part of the substance. I thought it asked some interesting questions about consciousness, and the much over-used term "trippy" was actually appropriate. Not in an overt way, but more subtly capturing the nature of that experience - moments of beauty, then horror, then confusion. "Am I me?"

I wasn't too fond of the very end, but it's one of those films where that's not really the point.
--
"Orwell was almost exactly wrong in a strange way. He thought the world would end with Big Brother watching us, but it ended with us watching Big Brother." Alan Moore
Ripper is offline

Ripper

Ripper's Avatar
Ngikufisela iwela

#3655

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 7,005
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)

Default 

March 21st, 2018, 20:58
After seeing the most recent Cloverfield, I completely understand why it wound up on the Netflix. I just hope they didn't pay too much for such a dubious privilege.

I've not seen Annihilation yet, if I get bored this weekend I might have to finally check that one out.
Carnifex is offline

Carnifex

SasqWatch

#3656

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ormond Beach, FL.
Posts: 7,055
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

Default 

March 21st, 2018, 21:16
Yea. I mean 10 cloverfield lane with goodman and winstead. I didn't realize there was a third film. Just checked the reviews - they are the pits


Originally Posted by Pongo View Post
Do you mean Cloverfield Lane vs the original found footage film? If so I agree - I thought it was much better. I didn't like Paradox much though.
you is offline

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#3657

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: usa - boston
Posts: 5,270
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

March 21st, 2018, 21:32
I rarely listen to reviews unless I know they're from people with similar tastes to myself. If something looks interesting or has an interesting premise, I'll watch it and decide for myself if it's shit or not. Populist opinion is frequently the most vapid of opinions. Duncan Jones' Mute also got shit reviews yet I found it rather compelling with strong, unusual villains (and an unusual dynamic between the two villains themselves) that reminded me of a modern day Burroughsion Dr. Benway.
JackOfOwls is offline

JackOfOwls

JackOfOwls's Avatar
Sentinel

#3658

Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 277
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Default 

March 22nd, 2018, 07:54
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
Annihilation is an interesting one. I really liked it, but it clearly divides opinion with those who feel it's a bit style over substance. For my money, I found the style was an important part of the substance. I thought it asked some interesting questions about consciousness, and the much over-used term "trippy" was actually appropriate. Not in an overt way, but more subtly capturing the nature of that experience - moments of beauty, then horror, then confusion. "Am I me?"
I didn't think it was a bad film. It was atmospheric, some of the visuals were very memorable and sometimes disturbing, and it had some impressive scenes like the one with the bear mentioned earlier in the thread. The reason why I felt it was disappointing was the characters and the overall story. I don't want to get into too much detail because of the inevitable spoilers, but I don't think the way any of the characters behaved was coherant or believable. In the end they became standard sci-fi genre archetypes. I felt the same about the overall story, which was an interesting concept but increasingly lacked coherance as it went along. It still passed the time well enough and some of the visuals were really memorable (and suitably horrible!) so I didn't regret watching it though.

Completely agree with you about Paradox. It was like Chris O'Dowd had wandered in from the wrong film, or straight from the set of the IT Crowd. It was bizarre.
Pongo is offline

Pongo

Pongo's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#3659

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Brussels
Posts: 1,372
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

Default 

March 22nd, 2018, 11:03
Well said. I didn't particulary like the movie (already stated several times) but I did not think it was horrible; just not that great. Love Simon was really good


Originally Posted by Pongo View Post
I didn't think it was a bad film. It was atmospheric, some of the visuals were very memorable and sometimes disturbing, and it had some impressive scenes like the one with the bear mentioned earlier in the thread. The reason why I felt it was disappointing was the characters and the overall story. I don't want to get into too much detail because of the inevitable spoilers, but I don't think the way any of the characters behaved was coherant or believable. In the end they became standard sci-fi genre archetypes. I felt the same about the overall story, which was an interesting concept but increasingly lacked coherance as it went along. It still passed the time well enough and some of the visuals were really memorable (and suitably horrible!) so I didn't regret watching it though.

Completely agree with you about Paradox. It was like Chris O'Dowd had wandered in from the wrong film, or straight from the set of the IT Crowd. It was bizarre.
you is offline

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#3660

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: usa - boston
Posts: 5,270
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:53.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright by RPGWatch