The "I Just Bought" thread

had a Razer Deathtalker keyboard. wa very happy wth t. ome lke bg mechancal key, lke them flat. Unfortunately plled coffee on t. After that ome key refued to work, notably the '' and the ''. t wouldn't have been o bad, f thoe were key that had lttle ue for. But '' and '' are frequently ued both n Englh and Norwegan. o had to get myelf a new keyboard.

And here I am the happy owner of yet another Deathstalker. I went into the shop-where-you-among-other-things-can-buy-keyboards and there it was, and at a fairly ok price. Every key I've tried has worked as expected, especially said 's' and 'i' keys.

pibbur who probably should be more careful. At least he didn't drop this one in the toilet. And the replacement cost only a fraction of the last thing he got rid of that way.

Last edited:
It is really dangerous to be any kind of electric accessory in your house Pib.

Only for the smaller ones. Accessories like pc's and such don't fit in standard (norwegian) sized toilets. And I usually don't carry them around that much. There is of course always the risk of close encounters with coffee, but for some reason only keyboards and nearby pieces of paper are endangered from this environmental factor.

I've only destroyed one laptop by dropping it on the floor.

BTW, my first computer, which is 31 years now, is still around. I doubt I could start it, however, but that's probably due to the effect of 31 years on the system diskettes (cp/m). Maybe I should try. Could be interesting.

Pibbur who probably is more affected by not finding things than destroying them.

Last edited:
BTW, my first computer, which is 31 years now, is still around. I doubt I could start it, however, but that's probably due to the effect of 31 years on the system diskettes (cp/m). Maybe I should try. Could be interesting.

Pibbur who probably is more affected by not finding things than destroying them.

I still have my HP Omnibook 300 laptop from 1993 (22 years old), with ROM-based MS Windows, Excel, Word and DOS, and had a solid state drive (for real!) as well as the infamous pop-out mouse. Still works great and is able to power on with 4AA batteries!

I still have my HP Omnibook 300 laptop from 1993 (22 years old), with ROM-based MS Windows, Excel, Word and DOS, and had a solid state drive (for real!) as well as the infamous pop-out mouse. Still works great and is able to power on with 4AA batteries!

that must have cost like $4k back then

To those of you who find all this suffering and destruction of machinery a bit appaling, remember that it's distributed over a period of 60 years.

pibbur who is not particular troubled, mainly because he tends to exaggerate.

that must have cost like $4k back then

I think it was only around $2k or so ... when I got the Omnibook 800CT (color, Pentium, etc) a few years later that was more costly.

I just finished assembling my new desktop PC, which hopes to slay the beast known as Witcher 3. I bought something that a few others were recommending, and I'm quite happy with the purchase. At least it runs Lords of the Fallen just butter smooth with everything on max.

CPU: i7 4790K
GPU: nVidia 980 GTX
MoBo: Asus Maximum VII Hero

It wasn't cheap at all, but I think I'm ready for The Witcher 3. :D
And GTA 5 in April, if it doesn't get pushed back once more.

I'm planning on getting the Razer Tiamat 7.1 headset, and was investigating whether my Asus Maximus VII Hero supports 7.1 surroundsound, and cannot find any serious confirmation. I do find references to virtual 7.1 surround sound, but I don't think that will do to take full advance of the headset which offers discrete surround-sound. Anyone have any idea? Anyone using a 7.1 system from this board in particular? Thanks.

The best keyboard by far is the Topre Realforce, that thing is just a JOY to use, it makes typing butter smooth. It's very expensive, but a true gem and totally worth the money. Don't buy any of these strange mechanical keyboards.

I'm planning on getting the Razer Tiamat 7.1 headset, and was investigating whether my Asus Maximus VII Hero supports 7.1 surroundsound, and cannot find any serious confirmation. I do find references to virtual 7.1 surround sound, but I don't think that will do to take full advance of the headset which offers discrete surround-sound. Anyone have any idea? Anyone using a 7.1 system from this board in particular? Thanks.

As far as I know the USB surround headphones come with their own soundcard integrated into the USB plug. Therefore it's not required for the mainboard (or laptop) to have surround sound support itself. This is the case for my Sennheiser 323D G4ME (which has virtual 7.1 surround).

I just bought myself a pair of Sennheiser HD700 headphones. From what I hear in review they're supposed to be pretty awesome. I've never had a really good pair of audiophile headphones, and will interested in how they sound. One thing I do worry about, is the product I bought from a seller on amazon.co.uk was marked open-box but new/unused. Is that really possible? Why would it be opened, and not used?

So much talk about headphones so I might as well join :).

For quit some time I was thinking about getting the Sennheiser HD800 but I was on the fence about doing so as it doesn't exactly come cheap, especially as I would also have to buy a matching DAC/AMP to get the most out of it, which can be more expensive than the headphones themselves.

But hearing doesn't get better with age so this is the stuff that one ought to buy the earliest in one's lifetime :), so I went ahead and bought them.

I wanted an integrated DAC/AMP rather than have them separately so I bought the Questyle CMA800i, which is also specifically tailored to the HD800. The reviews it is getting are exceptionally positive and according to general consensus it is an excellent match for the HD800.

All I can say is that it sounds absolutely fantastic and I am very happy with them.

I just bought myself a pair of Sennheiser HD700 headphones. From what I hear in review they're supposed to be pretty awesome. I've never had a really good pair of audiophile headphones, and will interested in how they sound. One thing I do worry about, is the product I bought from a seller on amazon.co.uk was marked open-box but new/unused. Is that really possible? Why would it be opened, and not used?
Perhaps someone bought several headphones for comparison purposes and returned the ones he didn't choose. AFAIK, some people do this.

Last edited:
Not in the same league as the HD700 and 800s i'm sure but still very good for the money.
Of course, if you want to maximise the quality/price ratio, then you will always end up lower than the high-end extremes.

In my case, I wanted to go high-end to maximise my listening experience and choose a set of headphones with a wide soundstage, clear detail, neutral sound and that is well suited for classical music, in which case the HD800 is a no-brainer.

I've also just purchased a DAC/AMP. I did some research, and the Parasound Zdac V2 seemed like a good choice. Reviewers seem to have good opinions of it, and I'm curious how it will play along with the headphones. I never had an audiophile setup, so I hope I'm not screwing something up. And I hope to get more acquainted with technicalities of it all as I go along.

Another possibility is that the item was returned, because an former orderer had ordered the wrong thing, and then had sent it back ...

I have a pair of oldish Sennheiser headphones for ... 10 years or more now. I like them still very much.

I never had an audiophile setup, so I hope I'm not screwing something up.
The default situation is that you don't screw up …..until an audiophile tells you so :).

So be careful with whom you speak :).

And I hope to get more acquainted with technicalities of it all as I go along.
Just make sure you don't go too far because before you know it, you'll end up convincing yourself that lossless sound files at 16bits/44.1kHz sound terrible and that you will only settle for 24bits/192kHz. :)

Just got my Alienware 13 gaming laptop. Glad I waited a month - the 5th gen processors are now standard in all versions!

I got the Core i7, 1080p screen (anti-glare), 16GB RAM, 2GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 960M, 1TB Hybrid drive, etc.

You might think that the 13" screen is small, but since I have been using the Macbook Air 11.6 for pretty much everything, this is an awesome upgrade for me. So far all of the games I have tried out look great on high settings. Settled back in to Pillars of Eternity ... only annoyance is that despite 'Steamworks' and 'Steam Cloud' support - I still had to manually copy the save games via USB. Ugh.

Back
Top Bottom