Funcom - Conan Exiles Development Diary 1#

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
The first developer diary explains a bit more about CONAN EXILES. The video outlines the project which you can expect to enter early access soon.

CONAN EXILES is an open-world survival game set in the brutal lands of Conan the Barbarian. This first developer diary aims to give you a quick introduction to the game, introduce you to some of the developers and give you a quick glimpse behind the scenes.

CONAN EXILES will enter Early Access on the PC in the summer of 2016, with a full launch on both PC and consoles to follow.
More information.

This is Conan, dammit!
You're supposed to crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentation of their women!
Instead you'll end up building beds for your settlers, growing your crops, and raising everyone's happiness level.

Gavin Whelan, art director… wonder if there's any relation to Michael Whelan? Similar styles.

Kind of agree with Bobo, though… I want to partake in a tale of HIGH ADVENTURE! Not play some Minecraft-inspired sim :(

Well you're not playing as Conan in this new Multiplayer open-world survival game.
You are an exile, one of thousands cast out to fend for themselves in a barbaric wasteland swept by terrible sandstorms and besieged on every side by enemies. Here you must fight to survive, build and dominate.
The game does have a single-player mode but my interest has dimmed.:disappointed:
‘CONAN EXILES’ is first and foremost a multiplayer game that can be enjoyed on both private and public servers, but it will also feature a single-player mode.

Last edited:
They couldn't be straying further from Howard's novels… When I think about conan the barbarian, he is not someone who would settle to grow plants or build houses. He is an adventurer who shows fierce loyalty to friends and has a disdain for civilization. He loves to fight, drink, gamble and fool around with eager lusty women.

The Conan I remember from novels (or even from the 1982 film adaption) is not driven by some "higher purpose." And he would not stay long in one place. He lives in a moment.

Oh well hopefully the building part is not mandatory. Exploring vast open gameworld sounds intresting, but i'm not that thrilled about building settlements or playing home with other settlers.

Agreed with Dez, for sure.

I tried to play the Conan PS3 title early last year but unfortunately couldn't enjoy its floaty arcade and decidedly dull hack and slash oriented style enough to play for very long.

Regarding Conan Exiles - it's all very well to have astounding visuals and nifty little realistic graphical gimmicks, but without compelling game-play and some interesting Conan related story and mechanics behind it, my interest will soon wane.

Ironically, the most "Conan-esque" game that I've ever played would probably be an ol' classic on the C64 called "Barbarian" by Palace Software. The combat was direct, strategic (with blocks and counters) and quite visceral for its time.
Chopping off foes heads required timing and was very satisyfing. :)
(R.I.P Richard Joseph, composer of the Poledouris like soundtrack) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odqQEnwSO_E

Last edited:
Haven't played that c64 game. Must have been great back in the day. :)

Imo the one of the most Conan-esque games I've played is Severance the blade of Darkness. It has nothing to do with Conan world, but the game has a bit similar feel like in Howard's novels. You can choose between 4 characters: A knight, a barbarian, a dwarf and an amazon.

The barbarian reminds me of Conan quite a lot and it has a really great melee combat system. Combos, blocks, dodges, special moves etc.

Turakam's first level: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOlf4iAF0JM

Blade of Darkness…in some ways, still ahead of modern H&S like Dark Souls and others.
Tukaram's move sets were awesome. You could even pick up enemy's limbs and beat them to death with it. Literally.

Last edited:
I liked their Conan MMO a lot - at least the first 20 levels or so which I played through a few times. Not sure how I feel about this one though - need to really see more of it so will have to just track it for now.

IMO Funcom tends to deliver creatively, but they have issues with execution. They always ship with bugs or performance issues. In this game, there will be a huge push to get big streamers to play in beta/early access preview periods, and if it is buggy, the game will suffer as people are ready for them to technically fail. The Secret World is still the best adventure/mmo to date and they simply gave up on it.

i guess its probably harder to make a decent action movie than a dramedy in these days. or in any days.
what happened to some good old trashing and hacking?
that's what i want to know.

Back
Top Bottom