Alien Shakespeare - Narrative RPG on Kickstarter

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Alien Shakespeare is a narrative RPG set during the post-apocalypse, which takes place in an abandoned theme park.

About

Alien Shakespeare is a narrative RPG that takes place on the Globe Theatre, an abandoned theme park planet (think of it as a Disney film set during the Post-Apocalypse.) Like Telltale Games, Alien Shakespeare will have the player's decisions drive the plot forward. Our goal, however, is to create a story where the player has more of an impact on the narrative.

The funds raised through Kickstarter will help us develop the game and pay our talented cast and crew for their time. It will also cover taxes, backer rewards, business expenses and Kickstarter processing fees.

IMPROVING THE 'TELLTALE FORMULA'

Because of their focus on creating compelling stories and unique characters, Telltale Games has received critical acclaim for their work on the Walking Dead, Batman, and the Wolf Among Us (just to name a few). These games, however, follow a very formulaic, straightforward path.

To highlight this formula, let’s look at a scene in the Wolf Among Us where Sheriff Bigby (aka the Big Bad Wolf) confronts the Woodsman at a bar. No matter how you play the game, there will always be a fight that breaks out at the end of the conversation. Even if you play as a diplomatic, non-violent character and convince the Woodsman to not fight you, another character will randomly decide to attack you so that the sequence of events will play out as scripted.

There is a very practical reason why Telltale Games uses this approach. It saves money by requiring fewer game assets and locations compared to a branching storyline. However, it creates the sense that the player's decisions doesn't have that much of an impact on the overall story.

We believe that Alien Shakespeare will be able to improve on the Telltale formula by introducing the following:

[...]
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

Okay read the news-bit title and thought might be interesting lets check it out. One click later after watching the video, and looking at a few screenshots decided I'll pass.

Last edited:
I believe I've had my entire fill of games that simply yap at me or drop loads of text with no real interaction or combat. One or two of those every couple of years hits whatever cravings I have for that.

Back
Top Bottom