Fallout 3 - HD remake soon?

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@IGN they speculate that the recent unbanning of Fallout 3 from Germany is connected to an imminent HD release for the game.

Bethesda has said it will reveal why it worked to unban Fallout 3 in Germany "in a couple of weeks," suggesting that a re-release of the 2009 RPG shooter might soon be on the cards.

IGN Germany reports that Bethesda "initiated a difficult and rarely-successful trial" with the Federal Department for Media Harmful to Minors (BPjM) in order to de-list Fallout 3 three years before the end of its statutory ten-year sentence.

In a process involving detailed application letters, costs of up to several thousand Euros and scrutiny from a 'Big Council' of 12 delegates made of German community organisations, State Assessors and BPjM Group Members, the publisher won its case to remove the ban

"In the case of Fallout 3 the request for de-listing was granted even though only seven years passed since the game was banned," the BPjM said in a statement. "The Big Council decided at its meeting on February, 4th that Fallout 3 will be removed from the list because its content is no longer classified as harmful to minors from today's perspective."

IGN Germany asked Bethesda for comment and received the following response; "We cannot give a statement at the moment, but will answer your questions in a couple of weeks."
More information.

Honestly: I'm sick and tired of these cheap ripoffs, called HD remakes…

If they would make a remake of Daggerfall, I wouldn't complain -- but seriously, what to remake in HD for FO3?

What will follow?
GOTY HD?
GOTY HD Extended?
GOTY HD Extended Director's Cut?
GOTY HD Extended Director's Cut Complete?
GOTY HD Extended Director's Cut Complete Ultimate Edition?

Please stop this, and make new games instead.

If they would make a remake of Daggerfall, I wouldn't complain -- but seriously, what to remake in HD for FO3?

What will follow?
GOTY HD?
GOTY HD Extended?
GOTY HD Extended Director's Cut?
GOTY HD Extended Director's Cut Complete?
GOTY HD Extended Director's Cut Complete Ultimate Edition?

Please stop this, and make new games instead.

yeah i think every gamer agrees with that

steal a graphics mod from nexus, add a few new code lines or whatever, sell the game as hd, profit :lol:

Well, having all traces of GFWL removed, steam workshop integration added and maybe some other enhancements/fixes (I still need to use the fix for having too many cpu cores) wouldn´t be too bad.

In my dream scenario it would also be enhanced to make use of Vulkan and a Linux port would be available (but that´s probably hoping for too much)

On the other hand, I do agree that only updating the graphics in F3, is by itself pretty much pointless reason for doing a re-release.

Maybe it will also support Win 7-10? In that case I'm all for it. Merely a HD edition is not that interesting by itself.

pibbur

I would rather see New Vegas receive a HD makeover, that is Fallout game I would like to finish without needing to frack around with mods. Last attempt was terrible and I had see through walls and humans without heads :D
I gave up on FNV after that.

Well, having all traces of GFWL removed, steam workshop integration added and maybe some other enhancements/fixes (I still need to use the fix for having too many cpu cores) wouldn´t be too bad.

In my dream scenario it would also be enhanced to make use of Vulkan and a Linux port would be available (but that´s probably hoping for too much)

Yup, this would be a perfect PATCH for free...
... but not a full blown re-release for say, $20 perhaps?
It's a good bargain, mister! You won't regret it! :greedy:

If they would make a remake of Daggerfall, I wouldn't complain.

So really your just sick and tired of them not remaking the games you want them too.;)

Seriously though, I have no problem with the remakes. Maybe if there was a shortage of new games to play I would.

I don't know about everyone else but my backlog of games is so long I'll never play them all anyway so I don't think the remake revolution is hurting anything.

Also some smaller companies are using the remakes to springboard themselves to being able to make new games, like beamdog.

Todd and Pete wanted a new Tesla each, so we're getting a remake ;)

Just like duerer I'm sick and tired of completely unnecessary remakes.
Especially "remakes" that are actually ports to phones.
99% of these games are/were still acceptable in their original shape and platform. Those who game on phones already have Candy Crush Saga so let's not disturb their way of life, please.

Meanwhile, there are some games out there that got so dated with both sound and graphics, yell for a remake, but noone cares.

#1 has to get a remake game is Anachronox. Not HD release, but a remake.
Reasons:
- By today's standards gfx/sfx is not… Peachy. HD won't change that.
- Endless trashmob respawns idiocy needs to get removed which will automatically address the slowstart problem caused by crawling through same areas and mobs too many times.
- Combat mode feels too FinalFanasy-y, scrap it and put either full turnbased or RTwP.
- Taking shots with camera, in fact collecting pokemon just because and no other reason also needs to get removed.
- Automatic attributes build on levelup instead of allowing the player to micromanage it on at least the main protagonist and get creative is also something that should be changed.
- The original ending needs to be addressed properly, not leaving fans to speculate what would happen if Anox2 was ever made.

If they change anything to do with the pathetic engine (no ironsights, no real crafting, no weapon modding), they'll likely break 99% of the mods on the Nexus. For a game very few people still play. And let's not even begin to entertain thoughts of them recreating every single texture for use in Fallout 4's new new new Gamebryo.

I highly doubt they'll do anything radical like that - that would involve money. More than likely, this is just getting rid of GFWL and replacing it with Steamworks (achievements, oh so shiny), and porting the mess to XboxOne. A few weeks' worth of effort by one employee to cash in on the new Fallout 4 popularity and sell another 100,000 units of that clunky piece of shit - a title I can't personally stand to play even under Tale of Two Wastelands (w/ FNV features) on account of it being so monotonous and chock full of cringe-worthy dialogue at every corner.

chock full of cringe-worthy dialogue at every corner.

But… but… they had Liam Neeson...!

…Yeah, yeah, we all know Beth is the only entertainment company that made even Patrick Stewart sound lame, so.... I'm not surprised.

Hey, for FO3 HD they might even secure Justin Bieber for sound talent!
To hell with Ink Spots! Customers need something more contemporary! ;)

So really your just sick and tired of them not remaking the games you want them too.;)

Seriously though, I have no problem with the remakes.

On the other hand, I feel ripped of, my good Sir.
Case in point: I have a PS4 and it is full of "HD remasters". Final Fantasy X, God of War, Last of Us, Uncharted, you name it -- and more recently…
… tadaaaaaa…
Frickin Final Fantasy SEVEN! (In glorious upscaled "HD", no less!)
Because you cannot import your older PSN PSOne purchases to PS4!
Doesn't matter, you'll buy it again, wouldn't you?

I understand the business logic behind this dreadful practice though.
AAA games requiring more and more time and money to develop, and marketing must keep the ball rolling at retail.
Nevertheless, there must be some alternative to this ripoff.

Yep, this sounds like a pretty lame cash grab. The game they should really remake into a modern engine is Morrowind. That is something I would gladly pay full price for. But they, of course, should keep all the complexity, and not dumb down any of the game mechanics in the remake, it should be a graphical remake only. Unless they are going to fix and update the combat system, and maybe incorporate the best and most popular mods, that would be acceptable. Morrowind was so famous and well regarded as a rpg in its time, so it should be given a remake by Bethesda.

I am torn about game re-releases of this fashion, however I do 'usually' lean towards supporting it. Yes it's a way to milk more money from you - assuming you already played the game - but it does keep the product alive, supported and maintained. A lame metaphor but it's like taking your car to the shop for a new part.. it keeps it running longer.

It gives games a lifespan beyond release and done, which as a developer I'd want to do, why cast something you spent so much time on into the shadows of time?

Of course the argument to this is a solid game release will stand the test of time but, things do not always work out so perfectly.

But ... Fallout 4 doesn't look that much better than Fallout 3.

There are incremental improvements, of course, but nothing like the differences between (for example) the three last Elder Scrolls games.

I don't see the point of bothering with a remake for just somewhat more detailed textures, especially when you can get much the same effect from hi-res graphics mods for free.

I think his point is that there's not much to gain from doing HD remakes of games that aren't that old. A game like Daggerfall which is 20+ years old would obviously benefit from it a hell of a lot more than FO3.

Drithius hit the nail on the head though. It's much easier and less costly to just make some minor improvements on a more modern game and then label it as an HD remake for some quick cash.

Fallout 3 is not that old to justify an HD remake, it still looks good enough for an RPG and its sequel doesn't look that much better afterall.

Anyway, keep in mind this is just speculation at the moment, Bethesda still has to do an announcement, so it could be anything.

Back
Top Bottom