The Totally NEW Team Corwin Thread

I'm currently in the middle of character creation - I chose an elven "arcane warrior", because this suits my playing style best.
If I'd do another one, It'd be a cleric.

I have no idea what names are allowed and which not; right now I'm going with "Alric The Seer" or "Alric the Seer". I'm currently building some kind of background information/idea for him, but I must admit that I'm still unfamiliar with Eberron.
My idea was that Alric The Seer has been venturing out into the world to look out for "signs" and to learn reading them - as a kind of self-imposed "training" - he wants to become some kind of scout, but until he knows which kind of scout he will become, he must learn seeing and reading "signs" first, with no idea (and no specification) what this might be. In my view, he has a tendency to be/become a mystic, and his "signs" will be "mystical" signs, magical ones also, and there is no way to know what kind of they will be, because he hasn't learned it yet. To him, a spark in the darkness can be a "sign" as well as some kind of evil - whereas the evil would be a sign of something neot being good in the world. And he wants to learn how to see them, read them, and much, much, much, much later use his ability to see them early and to read them to tell others about them - just like a scout.

That's my backstory so far for him.

Edit : His name had to be changed : The game says that the name is already in use - and variations of it as well.

His name is now (please don't laugh) : Alrikadaram Signsearcher ;)

Last edited:
We'll send you a Guild invite next time we're online; most of us spent about 8 hours playing yesterday!!

Okay, thanks ! :)

Only problem might be the time zones … It's sort before midnight here already, and I'm tired.

Normally I'm not tired so early, but I had a cold this week …

I've been playing several quests in the "starter zone" so far, and failed a few times in that tavern … Which frustrates me quite a lot ! :lol:

Most of us can now get through the entire Korthos quest series in between 2-4 hours, so you'll speed up quite quickly once you know the quests. Take your time if it's your first time through and build your char up to level 2-3 because it gets a lot tougher once you finish there. We have people playing in 3 different time ranges, though there are only a few from yours, but with overlap you should find someone around much of the time.

I think I am going to start playing DDO again but it looks like there have been many changes since I last played soon after it went F2P. I think my character was on Khyber but I may start a new character since it seems like there have been changes to characters.

@Corwin : Thanks for your advice. I'll take my time, then.

I'm on Khyber as well, by the way - because I wanted to meet your "heroes" there, too. ;)

It's a little bit strange, though, to have to listen to "DM" voices with an american English accent ... I needed several minuted to get myselöf accustomed to it (I'm used to British English, if at all), but now it works. It's just a different "language melody", as we say in German.

Some elements of the rules set are still not really familiar to me, but at least most are. I think I won't be doing spells too soon (can't until level 4 anyway), because I need to understand how they work first.

And I *definitively* need to sell old stuff ... I've got the bad habit of collection things that "could be of some use later" too much. And I need the money for healing potions ...

I decided on a Warchanter that is going 16 bard/ 2 fighter/ 2 barbarian and is named Clariell. I had a hard time naming my character since everything I was putting in was in use and this is the first time this has happened in a game for me.

Ok, maybe this will be the first time that I play this game "seriously": I got a level 2 female Rogue/Ranger named Leyring (I created her yesterday btw using some of the 28 points build in the official forums). I'm going to be Tempest 'cause I really love using melee characters that can dual wield effectively :) I haven't created a background yet, but when I have some inspiration I'll write it ;). As soon as I can I'll be online to see you guys!

BB, you'll find that a good build, but not sure a level of fighter might be better than the second rogue. As a Ranger, you'll get evasion eventually which is the main purpose in taking a second level of rogue. Next time I'm in the game I'll mail out invites.

Maybe for the extra feat and more HP, I don't know... I'm a total newbie about the game :D anyway I like the first dungeons in Khortos (is that written correctly?), especially the few puzzle sections...I want more of them and more difficult! But anyway, I find them funnier than WoW, and it's a big plus for me that you can solo them (not to mention that you could pay just what you want).

Ballbreaker, if you dig around you might find Fireflash's build, which is a modified Exploiter Ranger setup. 18Ranger, 1 Rogue, 1 Fighter. I went Half-Elf, because I like Half-Elves and could net about 40 more hp that way thanks to a race-specific feat. However, any race works; Dwarves get the rather good Dwarven Axe for free and more hp, Humans an extra feat to play with, Elves can boost the damage of their scimitars, and Halflings get extra SA damage.

Fireflash is able to handle traps up to her level, and has full UMD, on top of good melee capability, some minor self healing, buffing, and decent situational ranged damage. IIRC the total hp I had estimated at cap was 460 or so, no raid gear.

The classic Exploiter used a level of Monk instead of Fighter, and is capable of hitting 80+AC without sacrificing too much damage output, though AC in this game past about level 12-14 requires an incredible grind to get.

Ballbreaker, if you dig around you might find Fireflash's build, which is a modified Exploiter Ranger setup. 18Ranger, 1 Rogue, 1 Fighter. I went Half-Elf, because I like Half-Elves and could net about 40 more hp that way thanks to a race-specific feat. However, any race works; Dwarves get the rather good Dwarven Axe for free and more hp, Humans an extra feat to play with, Elves can boost the damage of their scimitars, and Halflings get extra SA damage.

Fireflash is able to handle traps up to her level, and has full UMD, on top of good melee capability, some minor self healing, buffing, and decent situational ranged damage. IIRC the total hp I had estimated at cap was 460 or so, no raid gear.

The classic Exploiter used a level of Monk instead of Fighter, and is capable of hitting 80+AC without sacrificing too much damage output, though AC in this game past about level 12-14 requires an incredible grind to get.

I think it's the more or less the same Azraelck ;) I'll post the link:
http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=2800940&postcount=16
I've picked up Human because of the extra feat and the free account (for now), and indeed I'm enjoying it pretty much.
Anyway, I'll go and check out the build you wrote ;).

Thanks for the link - as far as I can see it I'm going to go into this path :
http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=2882691&postcount=90
It's the so-called "arcane warrior".

There, I noticed these remarks :

Original path's flaws: Too many points spent in Wis, very weak in melee due to lacking feats for it
Main fixes: Took Wis down to increase Str/Dex/Con (depending on race), fixed feats to be better in melee

Interestingly, this is what I intuitively do in almost all (A)D&D games with Elves. I usually tend to giove characters stronger constitution - and that even regardless of the game ! - I mean that I do it in (A)D&D, TDE, almost every C-RPG that has constitution ... At least if it is vvital for survival, which is my highest priority.

I've never neen relying on spells & sorcery (and dexterity) only. My "builds" are almost always centred around sheer survival. Plus doing damage as an extension of the word "survival". Because the earlier the monster is dead, the better the chance of survival is, imho.

Once you get to Stormreach (after Korthos) you can be invited to the guild and get access to the guild ship. Then you use really useful buffs at the guildship. They last 1 hour per time so it should be enough to do a quest or two before you rebuff.

We also have a large guildship chest where we put items. You're free to take those you like there.

Since we're a bit higher level than you it means we can find items for you and put in the chest. It would therefore be nice if you type which weapon(s) you want and which armor type (robe, light, medium or high). We can also place items that will boost stats, resistances etc.

Getting a few good items at low level is the difference between life and death in many situations. So I think you should do well despite starting at at 28pt build.

Some of us have level 20 characters we can TR into new ones. So if we get a group of low levels then I think we could help you directly in quests. E. g. I can TR my level 20 paladin into a new paladin and play with Alrik and others since I'm Europe.

We all use skype when playing together so it would be nice if you get a skype account and post your skype name here so we can add you.

Finally I would recommend getting a hireling if you play solo. When you reach Stormreach marketplace you can buy hirelings there or you can buy them from the DDO store for about 20 turbine points for 1 hour's use. Getting a cleric hireling is really helpful when you're soloing some of these quests.

One important thing to remember about DDO character creation is that you only need to get some stats high enough to do what you need to do. E. g. in pnp D&D you invest in wisdom as a paladin so you can cast spells. In DDO wisdom is a dumpstat for a paladin. So you start with 8. The main reason is that you can find up to +6 stat items for all stats and you can even find/buy tomes that will give you +1, +2, +3 or even +4 in rare cases. There are even some exception stat bonuses you can get on greesteel items (you can craft these at high level).

So in DDO you can with wis 8 get +6 from and item and normally +2 from a tome. That is +16 and more than enough to cast level 4 spells and have decent willpower saves.

Diplomacy is an important skill for paladins in pnp D&D, but not so much in DDO. In DDO most quests can only be solved by hack/slash so there are rarely any need to use diplomacy to rpg info out of people. Some quests test against diplomacy in conversations to get benefits, but those are rare. Since you can get skill boosting items up to +15 you actually don't to invest in diplomacy.

So it means that skills you invest in should be those you use very often like jump, concentration (for spellcasters), use magical device (so you can use scrolls, wands), balance (gets you up faster after knockdown).

The most important lesson to learn about DDO is to UNLEARN what you know about D&D from pnp character builds. E. g. in pnp D&D you need dexterity as a wizard to land touch spells. You don't in DDO so dex is a dump stat.

The only stat in DDO that should never be a dump stat for every class is constitution. You should start with con 14 or higher at level 1 regardless of class. You need every hitpoint you can get. Trust me on that.

Strength is also a stat that most classes need to get up pretty high even if you don't play a melee class. Some monsters drain strength (like shadows) and if you start with too low you get immobilized or can even be killed. Decent strength is good to not get encumbered as well.

So my advise is to search the internet for builds for the class you want to play and stick to that build. The ones making it know what they're doing and you will be rewarded at higher level.

Getting the right enhancements and feats is actually the most important choice you make so you should learn about the possibilities at level 1 and make a plan. Using a character planner is fun and will prevent you from making mistakes.

Here is the link to the best planner:
http://www.rjcyberware.com/

Click on the character planner to the right to start downloading the program

Hiring a cleric hireling was the first thing I've done :) she's too much helpful for me. Anyway, one thing isn't clear... what does 'TR' mean? Sorry but I'm not used to the DDO abbreviation, apart of the standard one (DPS, AFK, LFG, you got the point).
I completely forgot my Skype account, so I think I'll create another one as soon as I can :) nice guild level anyway, you're Pro :D.

I love this character so far and it is so much better then my old characters. I have been able to solo every quest so far at elite. I think I will get a Cleric though since I won't need potions on elite anymore with it. I'll go get Skype and post my info but it will take time for me to get to Stormreach since I'm doing elite on every quest on Korthos.

BB: TR means True Reincarnation which allows you to reset your character to level 1.

PS. There are 2 pieces of equipment I am planning on getting that I will have a hard time getting. The items are Carnifex and Golden Cartouch.

EDIT: I got Skype setup with the same user name I have here. (guenthar)

Last edited:
TR = true reincarnation.

It means you start a completely new life at level 1 and you can select class, race. You get some benefits like a 34pt build, a special bonus feat, ability to open new quests on hard instead of normal and so on. The only thing you can't change is the name. To TR you need to be level 20. TR1 means you TR from a normal character to a TR. TR2 means you TR a character already TR'ed. Then you get a 36pt build and even more bonuses. E. g. you can open all quests on elite.

The main problem with TR'ing is that you need much more XP to get to level 20. Normal need 1.9 mill. TR1 need 3.1 mill and TR2 need 4.3 mill.

The best thing about being a TR is that the items you had at level 20 will be placed in a special cache in the bank and you can access then when you get to the marketplace. So all the good item sets you found in your first life will be there for you in the second or third life.

TR'ing was made so people who get to level 20 can play the low level quests again without having to make a new character. So it's normal that experienced DDO players create TR'ed characters.

There are other reincarnations you can purchase before you get to level 20. Those allow you to change classes you've picked. E. g. if you're a level 14 wizard and wanted to replace 2 wizard levels with monk you can use a heart of wood +2 or higher and do the replace.

When you get favor you unlock bonus options like veteran characters (new characters start at level 4), 32pt build, drow class etc. It's normal to build a reincarnation item to e. g. rebuild your character. You will keep your XP, but be set to level 1 so you can quick level to the level you were and you can select new classes, new feats, enhancements etc. That's good if you feel you messed up your build and you don't want to start from scratch.

Another reason to build a reincarnation is to take advantage of the 32pt build you earn (it can be purchased with DDO points too). When your character is reset to level 1 (but with XP's remaining) you then have 32pt instead of 28pt to build for. Then you can pick your skills, enhancements, feats and levels till you get to your current XP level.

So it doesn't matter if you start with a 28pt build because you get a chance to get a stronger build eventually. If you purchase the 32pt option with Turbine points you can start at level 1 with 32pt instead of 28pt. That is a significant difference because it means you can boost another start to a decent level. E. g. intelligence is a dump stat for several classes, but with 4 extra points you can boost int by 2 (or 4) and get 1 (or 2) extral skill points per level. Some class builds require a 32pt build to work properly and some classes like paladin need all the points they can because they have to put points into so many stats.

If you play with us as a group then it's much easier to get the items you need. We often play together to farm items for the group. The reason is that you can give the items you get as end reward to another character before you pick it. So even if the item binds to account or character on acquire you ensure that the one needing it will get it.

That is a big benefit from playing with guildies instead of pug (pick up groups). In pugs you mainly get the items you pick yourself unless you play with someone very nice who give to you what you need.

Last Friday the guildies farmed necro 4 sigil pieces and we got several of us flagged for the Litany of the Dead raid. Doing that in a pug takes a long time.

There are many quest series where you can gain items sets with very nice effects. So cooperating to farm such items is definitely something you would love to do.

Being in a guild has many benefits even though or guild is rather small.

If you want to play and need help and see of of the guildies online (in the game or in skype) you can send a tell and ask if they want to play with you. Quite often you get the help you need and it's so much easier being 2-3 players (with hirelings) than being alone. It's much more fun too.

Most of us are online in the weekends and Friday evening (European time) is our regular play day we always play. Saturdays and Sundays we often play too. Even during the weekdays you can find some guildies online. So just remember to send us a tell if you want help. We love to help. :p

I just came to Stormreach myself and I am a lowbie looking for party ^_^ /t me up Alrik, maybe we'll quest together.

Name -> Bebela

Also, is there a way to reset my character's skills, feats, stats etc ?

edit : I'll be on in 30 min or so.

Back
Top Bottom