The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

Can't go wrong with some Megadeth.:biggrin:

Megadeth Promises

Another lovely metal love song by Machine Head.

MACHINE HEAD - Circle the Drain

Tried listening to it, but it's not for me. I like original, and somehow his voice doesn't sound proper for the song.

Really? I think it's a good cover. The video is even better though. It was a cool idea to have Wolfhard playing the younger version of Rivers Cuomo. Even cooler that Wolfhard and his friends are a real band.

Really? I think it's a good cover. The video is even better though. It was a cool idea to have Wolfhard playing the younger version of Rivers Cuomo. Even cooler that Wolfhard and his friends are a real band.

Generally, I'm not a fan of covers. It's very very rarely that I can appreciate a cover. I think I can count the nr of covers I like on my fingers. But I'm glad you're enjoying it.

But it might also be due to my current disposition. I can also name plenty of cases where I first listened to a song, didn't find anything of interest, and then heard again some time later, in a different mood I would assume, and liked it then. It's funny how music is like that, for me at least. Very temperamental.

Generally, I'm not a fan of covers. It's very very rarely that I can appreciate a cover. I think I can count the nr of covers I like on my fingers. But I'm glad you're enjoying it.

Yeah, it's not that complicated for me. If it's good, I appreciate it. If it's not, well... :)

Same for me. But I rarely find the cover better/good enough to not just listen to the original.

Right, but it's not usually about being "better". That's going to be subjective anyways. It's about hearing a different take on something.

Another Weezer vid I like. Toto's 'Africa' with Weird Al.

Right, but it's not usually about being "better". That's going to be subjective anyways. It's about hearing a different take on something.

Indeed, and that's why I said better or good enough. Though there are some covers which are flatout better than their originals, where I don't even listen to the originals anymore. Though I do wonder how much of that is because I heard the cover first.

Some examples:
Guns n' Roses cover of Knocking on Heaven's Door vs Dylan's.
Johnny Cash's cover of Hurt vs Nine Inch Nails's
Nirvana's Man Who Sold the World vs Bowie's

Yeah, I don't know if there are any covers that are flatout better. Like I said, it's subjective. We could trade examples all day long, and I'm not sure I agree with all of those, but I'm not trying to create a tangent here. :)

I can remember the episode of MTV Unplugged where that video was taken from. I wasn't a big fan of the Grunge movement, but Nirvana was probably my favorite of those bands. Cobain had loads of talent.

I can remember the episode of MTV Unplugged where that video was taken from. I wasn't a big fan of the Grunge movement, but Nirvana was probably my favorite. Cobain had loads of talent.

Nirvana was among the first rock bands I heard as a child. My dad was/is a real nut for them. He had a tape that he played over and over and over all day long. To the detriment of people visiting us, that really wanted him to stop. :biggrin:

I think I pretty much liked them from the first time I heard them. They had a strong attitude/vibe in most of their songs.

The Unplugged version of Megadeth's Promises.

Shame they never wrote more songs like this.

One of the fondest music memories I have is seeing the Melvins with Nirvana in...I think it was early '89, at a small venue in San Francisco. I was fortunate enough to see both bands later on, but that first show set a high bar on both accounts.

That's just about enough, naughty children. Mohr Gaze! But keeping with topic, here's a really good cover:

and a bonus cover just cuz:

Last edited:
Well you may have started the topic but it clearly says "The ever-popular "Currently Listening". Not music according to dteowner only Gaze thread.:p

So time for another Gothic metal love ballad.

Nightwish - While Your Lips Are Still Red

Back
Top Bottom