Elex Elex First Impressions

If there are no lady companions, I won't be using them, so I need to learn to fend for myself. I will pick up the robot companion Ed-E? once I head north to Abcess or whatever it was called.
Can't you be less predictable sometimes? :p
There is at least one female sidekick (Caja, Domed City entrance). If you don't like her boobs, yea, there is a robotdrone sidekick.

Before you ask, dunno if the game has any dating sim elements. Not a single review hinted it.

Can I be a cleric-mage? I see the options so I assume if there are enough learning points to go around, that this is viable. I wonder if there is a level cap. Anyone know?
Factions are mutually exclusive and you can join only one which is a permanent choice. So no, you can't make a sort of crossclass character (beserker-cleric).

From what I gather you can become something similar to a mage but with Cleric technology instead of traditional magic.

...but I haven't joined the beserkers and was offered training in some of their skills. Are there crossover skills. Like everyone has Charisma or something? I haven't really done much but look at loot. I did go into Goiter on the first rolled character before I decided to mess around outside first. Also, I've found skill books outside so you can get a skill that way, correct?

Alb-Super Mutants or Enclave
Clerics-Brotherhood of Steel
Outlaws-Raiders/Gun Runners
Beserkers- Mage College/Alchemist

Yeah, glad they didn't borrow from Bethesda....

Can't you be less predictable sometimes? :p
There is at least one female sidekick (Caja, Domed City entrance). If you don't like her boobs, yea, there is a robotdrone sidekick.

Factions are mutually exclusive and you can join only one which is a permanent choice. So no, you can't make a sort of crossclass character (beserker-cleric).

What can I say, I don't hang with other dudes in games. It seems weird. Dogs are always cool and CRONY4 is basically a dog. Can't wait for the Dogmeat mod though. Maybe WGD will learn to actually script and code and he can port Grim. He's probably tired of just tweaking graphics by now :)

I was running like mad from some area I had to pick up some machine parts. Some mutant ALBS were chasing me. They stopped chasing me to kill some animals I had run past by getting the animals all riled up. There was some kind of town up ahead I thought they were friendly and I needed a rest but as I approached the whole town (about 15) ganged up on me so I ran out of town and the whole Town chased me.

Just outside the town was a 15 foot high ogre. I ran around in a large circle around the ogre, the town, still chasing me in that wide circle. The ogre was picking off the town folks one by one. The town still wanted to get me but they now had to deal with that ogre. The ogre wiped out the whole town. And I mean the whole town because I went back to that town and it was empty.

Sadly none of the town folks had armor so my position was not improved by that much. And with PBs new any-NPC-could-die, hopefully there was nobody important in that town. Well one of the town items was labeled forbidden so apparently there was a talking NPC in that town. Oh, well, guess I'll never know.

One thing I miss from PB's older games is companions having their own inventories. I keep wondering how Duras is miraculously healing himself without any potions.

They could have at least given him the animation of drinking a potion once in awhile. :)

One thing I miss from PB's older games is companions having their own inventories. I keep wondering how Duras is miraculously healing himself without any potions.

They could have at least given him the animation of drinking a potion once in awhile. :)

Yeah man, I'm with you on all these little bits from past PB games. I would have liked to have seen Gothic 3 hunting features too, and more, but eh, this is modern PB, and still overall close to their originals, and the best we're going to find right now with these types of attention to detail features IMO.

Best open-world RPG design yet IMO. Or at least the one that resonates the most with me. I love that the world is huge, there's lots of nooks and crannies to explore, a bunch of verticality to the exploration, great use of the jetpack and everything is hand-placed and not scaled, making for danger or a surprise lurking around every corner. The 4 different biomes work exceptionally well too, as the scale of the world is large enough to make it believable. And the views are gorgeous, too.

It's crazy good.

Well, I wasn't going to but since I just finished Risen 2 and kept reading this and other ELEX threads, I bought it today. I installed it and played it for an hour.

It runs surprisingly well on my three-year old laptop with only a GT765...
A few slowdowns here and there but I'm playing on high settings except for shadows and antisotropic (sp?) filtering.

For now, the game feels very Risen-like. I find Edan really nice and lush. Well done. I think the jetpack is a good modern implementation of climbing, but they even left climbing in too.
I feel like maybe we should not have gotten the jetpack from the start, but maybe it is necessary balance-wise.

I am now in Golliet at level 3 and I have no idea what to skill up. I feel like it's a PB game so I should focus on stealing things first. Alrik seems to teach lockpicking and pickpocketing so that seems like a good choice, but it's quite expensive to learn skills for now.

Is it just me or is sneaking free ? Does that mean the easiest things is to sleep until midnight and go to every house in Golliet to steal everything ?

I haven't encountered any bugs or any issues yet, but only one hour of playing.
The only annoying thing is the Berserkers being annoyed at me using my Adjutor (or whatever it's called). I hope the next patch introduces a way to get rid of that, because it's a useless feature really. I can't open my inventory, really ?

I'm playing as a charisma character with a tiny bit of bow skill. Hoping to eventually learn magic with the Berserkers.

Sneaking shouldn't be free and I hope they change that in ELEX 2 actually. IMO the game so far feels like a combination of Risen 1 and Gothic 3.

And you guys will come to love the jetpack. No open-world RPG should ever be without a vertical flight system from now on, IMO.

Also to whoever compared Jeff Vogels reskinned 1990s shovelware at 20$ to this product…
Wow.. just wow…
If that was the 20$ standard, ELEX should be priced at 175$

Only true if you prefer Action Adventure games to oldschool party based RPGS.

I just can't help feeling like oldschool party based RPGS is something you should like. At least pretend to respect them for the sake of those who do like them.

All games used to look like Jeffs. Those were the good old days! It's legit, its nostalgic. Show some respect.

PS. I bet I have a better videocard than you so enjoy your crap graphics, regardless :p

Combat gets nutsss once you get a companion. It's very dynamic. I've been flying all over the battlefield, hovering in mid-air to unleash a quiver on a raptor pack leader that took 3 NPCs + me to take down.

It's killah. :)

Companion scaling?

Do you companions scale? I'm level 9 now and Duras seems pretty crap (except as a distraction) I was thinking of dropping him, but not sure the cleric I found would be useful seems more like a tech person than a fighter ...

Do you companions scale? I'm level 9 now and Duras seems pretty crap (except as a distraction) I was thinking of dropping him, but not sure the cleric I found would be useful seems more like a tech person than a fighter …

There's a skill you can invest in that increases the damage your companions do in combat.

Why was the town mad at you ?

I was running like mad from some area I had to pick up some machine parts. Some mutant ALBS were chasing me. They stopped chasing me to kill some animals I had run past by getting the animals all riled up. There was some kind of town up ahead I thought they were friendly and I needed a rest but as I approached the whole town (about 15) ganged up on me so I ran out of town and the whole Town chased me.

Just outside the town was a 15 foot high ogre. I ran around in a large circle around the ogre, the town, still chasing me in that wide circle. The ogre was picking off the town folks one by one. The town still wanted to get me but they now had to deal with that ogre. The ogre wiped out the whole town. And I mean the whole town because I went back to that town and it was empty.

Sadly none of the town folks had armor so my position was not improved by that much. And with PBs new any-NPC-could-die, hopefully there was nobody important in that town. Well one of the town items was labeled forbidden so apparently there was a talking NPC in that town. Oh, well, guess I'll never know.

That's hardly a town, most probably a settlement with exiles or whatever other folks that are hostile by default.

Do you companions scale? I'm level 9 now and Duras seems pretty crap (except as a distraction) I was thinking of dropping him, but not sure the cleric I found would be useful seems more like a tech person than a fighter …

I would find it an awesome feature if they DIDN'T scale. It gives them more personality that way, IMO.

But yeah, check out the Group skill. I picked up a level of it. I am playing a Charisma character so it's nice to be able to boost your overall Charisma skill and also get an actual skill from the list. Now trying to get my Intelligence to 50 so I can grab those extra XP skills in that list as well.

Back
Top Bottom