Stardock's Fallen Enchantress is now out.

Galaad

Sentinel
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Well, I know quite a few people here were following war of magic back then...So maybe some people would be interested to know that Fallen Enchantress is now officially out as of today...as most of you probably already know it is free for those who purchased War of magic back then.

http://forums.elementalgame.com/434576

I've yet to play WoM even though I purchased it about a year ago. I heard it still has a lot of issues even after the v1.4 patch. I was waiting for a v1.5, but it looks like Stardock has simply abandoned it.

Looking forward to some feedback about Fallen Enchantress.

I hope it's improved as the original was not a game I would recommend. I'm still waiting for a true Masters of Magic remake.

War of Magic was and still is a flawed game. Fallen Enchantress if pretty much their fix of the game I guess. That's why people who bought WoM get FE freely. I'm downloading FE as we speak, if I manage to get some time in, I'll post about it later or tomorrow...

You should probably try it yourself JDR, since you had WoM it wouldn't cost you anything to*do so.

I wouldn't get a discount because I didn't purchase WoM until about a year ago. I believe Fallen Enchantress is only free if you purchased WoM in 2010.

I wouldn't get a discount because I didn't purchase WoM until about a year ago. I believe Fallen Enchantress is only free if you purchased WoM in 2010.

I'm in the same boat, I bought it like a month after they offered that, so it's not free for me. Still, I didn't consider WoM that bad (I played it when it was I think 1.3 so I didn't experience the worst bugs). It got better later but then the damage was done and they decided the original game's reputation could not be healed so they focused on this one.

I just finished downloading the game a moment ago...

Spent some time with the tutorial after trying to start a game out of nowhere and then figuring out i'd be better off doing the tutorial if I wanted to give the game a real chance.
For any who has purchased WoM, I would still try to log on this page:
https://store.stardock.com/login.aspx?ReturnUrl=/myaccount/products

Using your Impulse/Gamestop account info, I read somewhere that while it was supposed to be for those who bought the game in 2010...I think anyone who bought the game before the Gamestop and Impulse servers were officially split will still get FE for free.... So might be worthwhile to log on there and check it out.

As for the game I can't really comment much yet, I like the looks and feel of the game but the tutorial and videos that are played at each step are a bit annoying...

In the mean time, there's a review up already on gaming ogre.

http://www.gamingogre.com/review/elemental-fallen-enchantress-review/

From the review...

"While you set about to create new fighters capable of exploiting weaknesses in your enemies, the next time you play Fallen Enchantress the AI can and will use your creations against you."

WHAT!?!? That's even worse than Nethack sending the ghost of your previous character after you! I like it!

I've only played it a little bit in beta here and there. I got the full version yesterday and dabbled for an hour.

My immediate impression is quite positive. If it does what it seems to do, we might finally have a worthy spiritual sequel to Master of Magic.

It has a sort of elusive charm that seems to be a part of the best in the genre.

Now we just need them to implement multiplayer.

I just finished downloading the game a moment ago…

Spent some time with the tutorial after trying to start a game out of nowhere and then figuring out i'd be better off doing the tutorial if I wanted to give the game a real chance.
For any who has purchased WoM, I would still try to log on this page:
https://store.stardock.com/login.aspx?ReturnUrl=/myaccount/products

Using your Impulse/Gamestop account info, I read somewhere that while it was supposed to be for those who bought the game in 2010…I think anyone who bought the game before the Gamestop and Impulse servers were officially split will still get FE for free…. So might be worthwhile to log on there and check it out.

As for the game I can't really comment much yet, I like the looks and feel of the game but the tutorial and videos that are played at each step are a bit annoying…

In the mean time, there's a review up already on gaming ogre.

http://www.gamingogre.com/review/elemental-fallen-enchantress-review/
I just checked, I'm eligible for a $10 discount (so $29.99). Maybe if I wait until it goes on sale for $10 it'll be free for me :)

I've only played it a little bit in beta here and there. I got the full version yesterday and dabbled for an hour.

My immediate impression is quite positive. If it does what it seems to do, we might finally have a worthy spiritual sequel to Master of Magic.

It has a sort of elusive charm that seems to be a part of the best in the genre.

Now we just need them to implement multiplayer.

I really, really want this to be good. The first one had such good potential.

I really, really want this to be good. The first one had such good potential.

While it might not quite live up to the Master of Magic legacy - I definitely recommend giving it a go.

This time, it's a fully functional and cohesive game - with a bit of soul to it.

While it might not quite live up to the Master of Magic legacy - I definitely recommend giving it a go.
This time, it's a fully functional and cohesive game - with a bit of soul to it.
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1061167622#post1061167622

I get it for free also, but was so disillusioned with WoM I haven't paid much attention to the beta process of Fallen Enchantress...even with Derek "Kael" Paxton taking over the development.

Hopefully the finished version of this is a ton better than WoM and has some of that Master of Magic magic and soul you mentioned above.

I'm only halfway (or maybe less) through my first game, but so far the game does have some "soul" to it as Dartagnan says. Which was badly lacking in WoM.

I'm enjoying the game so far… I'm actually playing it more as a RPG lite than a tbs at the moment :p I've mostly been focusing on fighting mobs and doing a few quests to equip and level up my champions.

The game doesn't do a great job of guiding you along the right way for the first few steps. It just feels though that at any moment some other nation will turn on me and crush me badly, since I'm fairly sure I'm not doing things right :p. As I mentioned before the tutorials weren't all that great….but despite that I find myself having fun and not seeing the time fly by.

Though to me that also means that there's a lot to learn (at least it seems so ) and the game will become even better along the way as I discover more…and if the AI is able to keep up in some way by learning from the units I create. I foresee this game having a pretty long life.

But anyway…Its just guesswork at this point, the only thing I can say is that I'm liking it and I'm having fun…something I never really did in WoM.

G.

Last edited:
After one play through (where I got my butt kicked), I have a pretty positive view of the game. I have some significant issues with the interface, and it's ways of giving you (or more often not giving you) important information. But the actual gameplay seems good and reasonably deep. It doesn't quite have all the crazy elements to play with that MoM did, but on the plus side, it does a much better job of making sure all of the elements it does have are cohesive, work together well, and that the AI can handle them.

Overall I think there's a lot of potential, especially given Stardock's track record for improving their games.

I've yet to play WoM even though I purchased it about a year ago. I heard it still has a lot of issues even after the v1.4 patch. I was waiting for a v1.5, but it looks like Stardock has simply abandoned it.

Looking forward to some feedback about Fallen Enchantress.

Same situation with me. Although I did play it once, it didn't do anything for me and up until recently I even forgot I bought it! At the time it seemed like a cool mix of strategy and RPG. Hard to believe two years have passed…

I went to their website to reset my password and logged in. WoM and Fallen are both there just waiting for another try!

It looks like the Fallen file is almsot twice the size of WoM! I'll give some feedback later

Well I bought the first elemental when it came out so and gave up quickly. I thought I'd find out if I got the free upgrade which I think I do and see if its any good. Short is apparently I cant download it and probably never will at this point.

<rant>Now I remember why I hate gamestop. They totally screwed up impulse. I held out a little hope that impulse would help fix gamestop after trymedia rather than gamestop corrupting impulse but seems that the worst has happened. Apparently they decided that I have to merge several accounts together now just to get updates from impulse. I can login to both gamestop and the pc downloads separately but if I try to use the impulse tool it demands that I merge the accounts but then refuses my password which works fine right now. God I hate this. The email is same on both accounts so just merge the damn accounts and give me a password reset or something.</rant>

Back
Top Bottom