Eador: Master of the Broken World - Patch Released

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
You may have heard of the the launch day bugs, and people on Steam saying the game is unplayable. Well SnowBirdGames has released the first post launch patch for Eador: Master of the Broken World.

The patch contains the following fixes-
Today’s patch for the game has the following changes and fixes:

- Updated HUD for provinces.
- Multiplayer stability is improved.

Fixed:

- While attacking his own guard a player could control both sides during the battle.
- While attacking an enemy hero who besieges an allied province, players could get a wrong description of the enemy’s army.
- Missing battle results during exploring of a province’s sights.
- Number of taken shards wasn’t updated in the statistics.
- ‘Keys of Truth’ questline was considered complete after the tutorial ended.
- On the strategic map death of the last unit in an enemy AI’s army by poisoning could lead to the game’s crash.
- Tooltip display bug after conquering a shard.
- Impossible to hire heroes during the tutorial.
- Game crash during a battle with a unicorn.
- Dead units appearing during tactical battles.
- Game crash during a battle with no restriction for magic.
- Fixed ‘Necromancy’ skill.

During this week we’ll also be adding to the game:
- Hotseat for the tactical mode.
- Turn timers in multiplayer.
- Faster unit animation.
More information.

Well, a lot of people on Steam (as well as elsewhere) are also saying the game is perfectly playable and enjoyable.

Never got why only the people who complain get attention. It must be related to the nature of news reports. Good stuff goes always unnoticed.

Well, a lot of people on Steam (as well as elsewhere) are also saying the game is perfectly playable and enjoyable.

Never got why only the people who complain get attention. It must be related to the nature of news reports. Good stuff goes always unnoticed.

It the internet and it's rule number #1.;) People will always find a way to complain about something online. Now as for me the game was playable but could use a few fixes, and as you see they are.

Agreed.

Many people here probably don’t know that this is a game with a lot of depth, a true indie project (no Kickstarter or big publisher, Snowbird Games is the developer and the publisher), and that they are working around the clock to provide patches for their game (3 already out since last Friday release).

As you said, the game needs even more fixes, so people who are interested should probably wait a few weeks before getting it.

What many people here don't know is that the complains against Snowbird Games started way before the game was even released. It is a complex story originated on the relationship of this game with the previous one, Genesis… anyway, long story, just to say that if you like this kind of games (fantasy TBS games) you should probably try this, first or later.

Last edited:
It is totally playable for me, and I am playing it;) It needs a couple of patches but no where near as bad as the internets make it seem.

It is totally playable for me, and I am playing it;) It needs a couple of patches but no where near as bad as the internets make it seem.

True, only encountered 3 very annoying bugs so far.

People on the Steam forums, in particular, often overreact.

Dunno what to say as I lacked enough time to play it plus I've used all my free time for FNV replay (I'm now finally on main stuff near the end).

In case your game doesn't automatically patch like in my case, just run update.exe located in the game installation folder (in my case it's in D:\GOG Games\Eador 2). That makes your game version 1.0.3.

The released version was unplayable for me, it crashed as soon as I ran it. With the patch it actually runs.

In terms of people's reactions to the game, it's important to note that many of the people complaining are people who own the original game. Given that the sequel is mostly identical to the original (or so they say), they are upset that they paid $20 for an inferior version of a game they already won.

If you don't already own Genesis, which is a great game, then your perception will be very different, as even a buggy incomplete version of Genesis is still going to be a good game.

Agreed again.

The new game is not a sequel. It is just a remake with 3 new key features: graphic, save system, and multiplayer.

This much has been clear from the very beginning (years now). So, assuming that one is a fan of Genesis, shouldn't he/she at least look for some basic information before getting the new one?

On top of that, beta build (3) were available for everyone who wished to try the new game. Let's Play Videos of the betas were (and still are) available. Again, I am asking politely: shouldn't anyone gather this much of information before buying the game?

Well I don't think people are complaining about the fact that game is the same, just about the fact that the bugs and incomplete features make it worse then the original.

With that being said, it's unclear to me at this point exactly how much the game is the same. It's clear that there are a lot of subtle but important gameplay changes, but I'm not sure yet how much of a difference they will all make in practice. As good as the original game was, it would have still benefited greatly from some fine tuning.

Agreed again.

The new game is not a sequel. It is just a remake with 3 new key features: graphic, save system, and multiplayer.

This much has been clear from the very beginning (years now). So, assuming that one is a fan of Genesis, shouldn't he/she at least look for some basic information before getting the new one?

On top of that, beta build (3) were available for everyone who wished to try the new game. Let's Play Videos of the betas were (and still are) available. Again, I am asking politely: shouldn't anyone gather this much of information before buying the game?

But is it fun?

I must admit-- I let the internet's influence me. I was interested by way of the art-- and it is turn based Indie project in the fantasy Genre-- Yay! let's support! But then I saw a few quick reviews and comments and moved on, determined not to get burned again.

But this community knows good gaming in role playing-- and I am just looking for an opinion.

Benetar

I love the game to be honest. I don't have any show stopping bugs....biggest annoyance(and it is minor) is the face when you explore it doesn't give you the chance to win the fight hint....but there are ways around that.

Patch 1.0.4 is out.
As before, if your game doesn't update automatically, use update.exe from the game installation folder.
Or simply forgeddit, it's aimed mostly to multiplayer mode as, at least in my case, singleplayer has no huge problems.

Patch nothes:
Added achievements for all versions of the game.
Added ‘hotseat’ mode for tactical battles.
Added windowed mode support.
Added an alternative hotkey option for using spells of heroes and units (with ‘1’, ’2’, ’3’ etc.)
Updated balance in multiplayer.
Improved multiplayer stability.

Fixed:

Problems launching the game caused by Data Execution Prevention settings in Windows OS.
Game crash after a double battle (first province guard vs. enemy hero, then player’s hero vs. enemy hero).
Inaccurate battle results predictions.
Inability to proceed in the tutorial under certain conditions (choosing Wizard or Commander).
Game crash caused by an enemy attacking player’s capital with a guard and without garrison.
Heroes displaying as possible province guards when player is attacked by enemy.
Inability to apply a ritual on a hero in uninhabited province.
Player’s crystals count bug during an arena fight.
Game crash caused by refusing to watch an arena fight.
Blocking of map control buttons while selecting a ritual.
Hotkey display bug in a tooltip for actions that also have an extended version of a tip.
Hotkeys for province list classification.
Generation of unreachable enemies in the campaign.
Some mistakes in the in-game text.

I've had my first huge problem, I completed a shard and the game just wouldn't end. I killed the enemy lord and the turns just kept going into infinity. Very frustrating as it took several hours to finish that shard, and now I'll have to redo it. This was after the current patch.

I'm going to shelf the game for now and revisit it in a few weeks.

I preordered it so I got the original one for free. I was playing it hoping to finish it by the time the new one came, but real life commitments (who am I kidding... Crusader Kings 2 commitments) slowed me down. Should I finish the old one before playing the new one or should I just play the new one if the story and what not are the same?

I believe the story are the same for both. I know there are people out there who have finished the Genesis campaign, but it's hard for me to imagine doing so. I loved the time I spent with it, but the maps keep getting bigger and bigger and even a normal sized map will take a long time to finish. The sheer number of hours required to actually finish the Genesis campaign seems staggering. Even if you were willing to go through that, I'd question whether you would then be willing to turn around and repeat it a second time in the extremely simlar MOTBW.

Back
Top Bottom