Fallout: New California - Best Fallout this Year

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
PC Gamer thinks Fallout: New California is the best Fallout of 2018:

Fallout: New California is the best Fallout game you'll play this year

A huge Fallout: New Vegas mod seven years in the making.

This ambitious Fallout: New Vegas total conversion was, remarkably, seven years in the making. Developed by Rick Hukkanen and Brandan Lee, with the help of dozens of volunteers, the mod is set 20 years after the events of Fallout 2, making it much closer story-wise to the original Interplay series than the Bethesda/Obsidian games. It features new locations, 48 quests, full voice acting, and 13 endings. And best of all, it's totally free. You can download New California from ModDB, and for most people, installing it is as simple as unzipping the contents into your game directory.

[...]
Thanks henriquejr!

More information.

For once an article I can agree with. :thumbsup:

Bravo Radian-Helix Media you guys also deserve best mod of the year. Also guys/gals check out their new commercial game, and support it when it's officially announced.
It'll be a top down 3D isometric Survival RPG set on the ruins of an alien megastructure. You start out freshly abducted from Earth with no directions and little explanation. You'll have to gather a tribe of fellow survivors and brave the harsh wilderness and face off with medieval empires and alien organisms. A little bit Fallout 1 and 2, a little bit Rimworld, all on Unreal Engine.

I could use a couple 2D artists on the new team right now, and you can donate to our Pay-Pal to help me afford the start up expenses. We have a bunch of veterans we've worked with before that want in on this, so I need to begin crowd funding after FNC is all wrapped up so we can afford to focus just on this project.

Last edited:
Of course Fallout: New California is the best Fallout you can play this year! Since the other contestant is Fallout 76... Let's say FO 76 can't put up a decent fight :D :D

Nice, and it sounds like there's still lots of room for improvement. Hopefully this will be a draw for the modding community to add to the content.

My backlog keeps growing, but someday when I find the time, I want to play this.
For their next total conversion, I suggest a mod that turns Fallout '76 into Interstate '76.

I lost about 4 months of my life to Fallout 4 last year. So I don't think I can trust myself to get back into another Fallout game in a long time. I know Fallout 4 barely registers as a role playing game given the dialogue options but there was something that really hooked me in its gameplay formula.

I lost about 4 months of my life to Fallout 4 last year. So I don't think I can trust myself to get back into another Fallout game in a long time. I know Fallout 4 barely registers as a role playing game given the dialogue options but there was something that really hooked me in its gameplay formula.

Yes, I know what you mean. I clocked up 490 hrs, really enjoyed it, in-fact I've bought Fallout 76, because I've read that its more fallout 4, so happy days if that's the case.

Yes, I know what you mean. I clocked up 490 hrs, really enjoyed it, in-fact I've bought Fallout 76, because I've read that its more fallout 4, so happy days if that's the case.

It is the case in some ways and not even Fallout in others.
PRO:
1. Wonderful exploration with lots of whimsical places off the beaten path.
2. Crafting is a lot of fun in most cases, though finding some components is a pain.
3. Combat is pretty good though animations are still amateurish.

CON:
1. Interactions with other humans is poorly implemented. No text chat at all and push to talk has a weird delay.
2. No human NPCs at all. This is the game killer in the end. F76 is fun, but limited.
3. Buggy, buggy Bethesda.
4. Grinding is the primary goal from the company. They keep patching out everything that allows you to level up normally.

Since I'm not trying to level up at all, the final con doesn't bother me. I play to explore and to unlock the whole map. Since I love starting over every other day or so, I'm nowhere near to meeting my goal. F76 will likely give me a year of play or more, but I am the exact target audience for these types of games.

Multiplayer is very, very easy to ignore. If I don't want to interact with anyone I can just server hop (which takes 30 seconds) or just avoid the white blips on the map. There are main quests that take place where everyone must visit, but the game has been out long enough now that it is very simple to find an empty hub, even in Charleston or Morgantown.

That being said, I've played long enough now that I end up helping folks all the time. I like to put extra weapons and armor into common loot containers. It's cool to load up a chest with goodies and then announce it in area chat. N00bies racing like crazy to get to the chest first :)

For once an article Also guys/gals check out their new commercial game, and support it when it's officially announced.

That description of their commercial game sounds a lot like Kenshi. I'll give it a look, but you might not like it that much. :p

Back
Top Bottom