|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Middle-earth: Shadow of War - More Gameplay

Default Middle-earth: Shadow of War - More Gameplay

April 11th, 2017, 23:03
Monolith showed IGN some Shadow of War gameplay:

Shadow of War: Minas Ithil Gameplay Walkthrough in 4K

loading…

Monolith gives us a first look at gameplay within the walls of the human city, Minas Ithil.
More information.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

April 11th, 2017, 23:04
Thank you for the info, Farflame!

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

April 11th, 2017, 23:10
Same like the first. Wish it'd just die.
--
"… thing about Morrowind is we did far more than we could, far less polished than we should. It's a miracle that it works at all… there's too much, and it's like jazz… a product like Oblivion - far better software… but Morrowind… oh there's so much delicious nonsense in that." ~ words of wisdom by K.Rolston

luj1

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

April 11th, 2017, 23:22
The first one was good hack n slash fun so I'm looking forward to the second one.

sakichop

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
+1:

April 12th, 2017, 05:55
Originally Posted by sakichop View Post
The first one was good hack n slash fun so I'm looking forward to the second one.
I too am looking forward to the second one. The first one was much better than I thought it would be, one of my favorite games of that year.

NFLed

Sentinel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

April 12th, 2017, 06:35
Got bored with the first one after a few hours. It sure looked pretty, though.

Of what I heard about the story (player forges his own ring of power, etc.), I'm sure Tolkien would not approve…

Darkheart

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

April 12th, 2017, 08:00
First game was boring as hell. Now, I'm sick to death of generic open-worlders, but I usually last a few hours before putting them down.

For this one, I think I lasted all of 30 minutes or so - and though I tried to force myself beyond that, it never worked for me.

It's literally all combat - and I didn't even like the combat.

Also, I'm a big Tolkien fan - and I don't think their take on his material was appropriate.

NewDArt

Mentioned: Post(s)

April 12th, 2017, 10:28
Originally Posted by NewDArt View Post
Also, I'm a big Tolkien fan - and I don't think their take on his material was appropriate.
I also did not like the idea of playing this strangely powerful entity. It just felt not fitting to the setting.

But: there just isn't much left to make games out of from the books.
It's not like Star Trek or Star Wars where the universe is constantly officially expanded (and retconned, and scrapped, and… but you get the idea).

So they have to come up with something of their own, and that always runs the risk of not fitting the rest.

TheSHEEEP

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

April 12th, 2017, 10:31
Originally Posted by TheSHEEEP View Post
I also did not like the idea of playing this strangely powerful entity. It just felt not fitting to the setting.

But: there just isn't much left to make games out of from the books.
It's not like Star Trek or Star Wars where the universe is constantly officially expanded (and retconned, and scrapped, and… but you get the idea).

So they have to come up with something of their own, and that always runs the risk of not fitting the rest.
I'm not a purist or anything - and I think there are ways to create unique stories in that world without big issues.

LotRO and WitN both did much better, imo.

NewDArt

April 12th, 2017, 16:12
Middle Earth is huge and a unique story could be set say in the south where the blue wizards disappeared. Or the far east. Or …

BillSeurer

Eternal Supreme Dictator

April 12th, 2017, 16:36
Someone is bound to wonder if UbiSoft has outsourced the running animation to the same guys who worked on the face animations of MEA.
More seriously: the game always pause to tell you which key to press at each moment? Is that a tutorial mode or it is a persistent feature?

Aerth

April 12th, 2017, 16:39
Personally, I enjoyed the first part. Sure, it was a strange version of middle earth, but since I'm not a middle earth fanatic, that doesn't really concern me. Even if I was, I would simply consider this an alternative version and enjoy it on its own without concentrating all the time why it isn't like Lord of the Rings. Depends on personal taste, I guess. Looking forwards to the 2nd part, sounds like more of the same with some improvements which is exactly what I want for a part 2.

Irian

Atheistic Pirate

April 12th, 2017, 21:22
Isn't this WB not UBI ?

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

April 13th, 2017, 21:22
Since everyone seems to make pretty similar games these days, it's sometimes hard to say who did what… ;-)

Irian

Atheistic Pirate

April 16th, 2017, 09:41
First wasn't bad, but incredibly overrated. Not that this misguided me, nor that I regret have buy it much later at Mac release. And I'll even admit there's a problem of genre and preferences, so it's not a genre I like much, then it's not a game I can evaluate well.

What's a lot more a problem is when some players bring in arguing such games when the arguing is about a game trying setup a full RPG.

This ends with absurdity that Codex promotes such game and bash DAI. Mad world.

Dasale

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

April 16th, 2017, 13:43
Originally Posted by BillSeurer View Post
Middle Earth is huge and a unique story could be set say in the south where the blue wizards disappeared. Or the far east. Or …
Agreed, an absolutely wasted IP….these games smack more of movie tie-ins, in the worse sense. What I want is an original RPG set in the age of numenor etc - quite far removed from LoTR. That would be awesome. Not an action fest, but some party-based game with interesting mechanics …maybe even based on the old middle earth RPS (which I only ever looked at briefly, a 100 years ago) It actually makes me ill when I think that this license is locked away…what a monumental waste.

booboo

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

April 16th, 2017, 22:32
It'd be pretty funny if they turned Tulkas into Hulk like game, smashing all around.
--
Rush in and die, dogs…I was a man before I was a king.

BoboTheMighty

SasqWatch

April 17th, 2017, 00:12
Originally Posted by Dasale View Post
This ends with absurdity that Codex promotes such game and bash DAI. Mad world.
What??? Codex promotes shallow overrated heavy action Shadow of Mordor as some good RPG?

Farflame

Keeper of the Watch

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Middle-earth: Shadow of War - More Gameplay