Gothic 3 2 GB of RAM works!

Thaurin

SasqWatch
I've plugged in an extra gig of RAM and the difference is astounding! I can actually play without too much of a stutter now, going for minutes at a time before I get a slight hick-up. People were all complaining about how performance still sucks with 2 GB of RAM, so I was a little worried. This is totally better than 1 GB.

I have 1 Gig only and it's exactly what I'm planning to do, soon I hope. . . or after the next patch.

Mind you, it won't eliminate the thing entirely, but I sure as hell could play and have fun for a long time before I got any sort of short pause or stutter. FPS, of course, was exactly the same.

I didn't notice any significant decrease in loading and saving time, but as some of those earlier tests people did shows, it should be faster too.

I played with 2 gig ram (ddr2) and a reasonably fast HDD (WD 16mb cache) and I got pretty good performance on loading/saving and very little jerkiness (played on the high setting) even though my PC is hardly top of the line anymore - AMD X2-4200.

The reports are the same with Dark Messiah. 2 GB should increase the performance a lot. I just bought another 1 GB yesterday.

Regards Asbjørn

This is possibly question for a tech forum, but anyway, probably you had to solve this as well somehow - Currently I have 2 x 512 in dualchannel. I have 4 slots, well, did you simply buy another 2 x 512 sticks one upgrading from 1024 to 2048 or did you use a waste bin for your 512 sticks and bought two new 1024?

If you're refering to me, then I bought a stick with 1024 MB. I bought my computer one year ago with 1024 MB in one stick, so I didn't have to throw my ram in the bin, when I would have to upgrade. So now I have 2x1024 MB with room to further upgrades.
But I haven't received my shipment yet.

Regards Asbjørn

It's not really recommended to run all 4 channels in dual channel mode (2 dual channels) from what I have heard. It is possible with certain ram sticks but quite often you have to run it at a very high latency in order to get it to run. I imagine this might not be a problem if you have high grade ram sticks.

Damn, you could've told me. :p

I had 2x512MB in dual-channel and bought two 512MB sticks more. So now I'm running with the setup bjorn described. I did notice some slow-ups that I could not explain-- some stuff used to not freeze up my computer as badly. Of course, I had a LOT less HD thrashing as my RAM has doubled, but I definitely could see situations where I had to wait (without the HD thrashing).

I used to convert AVI files to DVD format and lower the priority of the process doing the converting. It used to be fine with only a few seconds where it would take over my computer (with no priority lowering, it would be unusable). Now, with the 2GB in dual-channel, I can't use the computer at all even when I lower the process's priority. It just seems to "thrash" the memory and my other windows stop responding.

Might be related to what's described here. But at least I haven't had to throw out my old RAM.

To summarize the results:
Sell the old RAM, buy 2*1 GB identical modules. ;)

Not "generally". Incompatibilty is a serious possibility because many chipsets do not support 4 modules, only support them as PC 333 instead of PC 400 or require SS modules instead of the usual DS. That´s quite a lot of "ifs". ;)

Seems like I'll have to buy 2 x 1024. Problem is that it is really problematic to sell used RAM modules.

And - I did some more web research on the topic and it seems that it is really not recommanded to have 4 modules (also seems to be related to dual channel). Some don't have problems at all but generally there is high probability that one will run into problems with it.

Well, no problems for me (yet, knock on wood ;)), except some of the minor things I mentioned. I'm not up to speed with the latest hardware issues, so I wouldn't know. Works fine for me, anyway.

I run 512 * 4 (2048 in total) MB Ram, AMD X2 4600 and GeForce 8800 GTX. I never notice any lag at all.

Not "generally". Incompatibilty is a serious possibility because many chipsets do not support 4 modules, only support them as PC 333 instead of PC 400 or require SS modules instead of the usual DS. That´s quite a lot of "ifs". ;)

That's some seriously old hardware if you are running PC 333. I can't imagine running Gothic 3 on anything entertaining PC 333.

Its probably safe to say that any socket 775 board with an Nvidia 650i/680i, Intel 965/975 or Ati RD600 will support 4 matching sticks. If you own a MB with different Northbridge you should probably upgrade. The Intel 965/975 is by far the most stable, specifically the D975XBX2 board (Bad Axe 2). Its the best on the market for stability. For Asus junkies the Asus P5W DH is probably equivalent and also uses the 975 chipset.

Back
Top Bottom