Risen 2 - PC Version Released

I hope it's true.

Koch Media handles the whole Square Enix portfolio in Germany. So it's not unlikely Square Enix could distribute a Koch Media product in a market in which they are stronger.

Maybe not. But then Amazon would have had the information wrong for couple months, too.

What is odd, is that I can't find any other US retailers listing it. :/

Well I emailed Amazon. We'll see if they come back with anything definitive...

Last edited:
Maybe not. But then Amazon would have had the information wrong for couple months, too.

What is odd, is that I can't find any other US retailers listing it. :/

Well I emailed Amazon. We'll see if they come back with anything definitive…

I remember on the forums it was stated there would never be a boxed PC copy for the US. You may have to import a boxed copy.

It has been noticed that the boxed copies of the PC version of Risen 2 have disappeared from online stores, where they have been available for preorder. Instead, all the websites (Amazon.com, GameStop.com etc.) offer only the downloadable version to those who preorder.

The user BruceS from the Deep Silver forums has sent an email to customer support and this is the answer he received:

"no boxed copy will be available in North America"

So you would say that it is better optimized and less demanding than Risen 1?

Or you simply have a more powerful PC this time?
My PC is as good as the one I had back then. It's definitely the engine.
I'm not 100% sure, but I think I ran Risen 1 on this PC once and I found it to be as sluggish as my previous PC.

That wouldn't exactly be surprising. :)

My PC is as good as the one I had back then. It's definitely the engine.
I'm not 100% sure, but I think I ran Risen 1 on this PC once and I found it to be as sluggish as my previous PC.

That's somewhat odd. Most people are reporting Risen 2 to be pretty demanding, and I'd have to agree. It's definitely a little choppier than I remember Risen 1 being.

I don't think it's poorly optimized though. It's choppy for me because my system is only average by today's standards and I still insist on running it with max settings.

That's somewhat odd. Most people are reporting Risen 2 to be pretty demanding, and I'd have to agree. It's definitely a little choppier than I remember Risen 1 being.

I don't think it's poorly optimized though. It's choppy for me because my system is only average by today's standards and I still insist on running it with max settings.

I agree - as noted I was playing Risen 1 last week on the exact same laptop and then installed Risen 2. To get similar performance I have to turn down settings in Risen 2 to the point where the visuals are more or less equal. Naturally I didn't want to do that so I similarly chose to suffer a bit of choppiness as well. ;)

Wishful thinking maybe but I'm hoping the delay of the console version is partially because they're fixing problems with the engine (vegetation LOD etc) and again we PC users are just beta testers.. A patch for the PC version once the console release is out doesnt seem too far-fetched..

What makes you think the consoles use the same tech?

Wishful thinking maybe but I'm hoping the delay of the console version is partially because they're fixing problems with the engine (vegetation LOD etc) and again we PC users are just beta testers.. A patch for the PC version once the console release is out doesnt seem too far-fetched..

If you look at the first game, it released later on consoles and still reeked of being a 'PC port' ... similar to how many games we get on the PC reek of consolitis. I see they have done some things (gotten rid of Q & E support, etc) to help move to consoles ... but this still seems like a PC-centric game to me.

I agree - as noted I was playing Risen 1 last week on the exact same laptop and then installed Risen 2. To get similar performance I have to turn down settings in Risen 2 to the point where the visuals are more or less equal. Naturally I didn't want to do that so I similarly chose to suffer a bit of choppiness as well. ;)
Did you run both games on the same laptop? Running a new game on old hardware seems unfair. Risen 2 is more demanding than Risen 1, as is expected of it, because it is a new game designed for new hardware. An appropriate comparison would be running Risen 1 on the top of the line (or mid-range) hardware of it's time, then run Risen 2 on top of the line (or mid-range) hardware today, and compare the results. If you run both games on a single PC, especially a relatively old one, you won't get reliable results.

Luckily for me, I played both games on similar hardware of it's generation. Core2Duo/Radeon 4890 for Risen 1 , and Core i7/GTX580 for Risen 2.

Did you run both games on the same laptop?
Note the first thing I said above.

If you run both games on a single PC, especially a relatively old one, you won't get reliable results.

I ran them both on a new laptop - quad-core i7, 64-bit Win7, 8GB RAM, 1GB ATi Radeon graphics ...

And yes I would expect Risen 2 to be more demanding - I was just confirming that.

What makes you think the consoles use the same tech?

I certainly hope the LOD system wont be even worse on consoles, it's already the worst ever in a PC game i think, it would be beyond terrible.. It looks like its made for consoles in mind, it kicks in extremely close to the player for example, more so than i've seen in other PC games. And that morphing vegetation isnt doing anything good for the performance, therefore i think it's just something they havent fixed yet.

Note the first thing I said above.

I ran them both on a new laptop - quad-core i7, 64-bit Win7, 8GB RAM, 1GB ATi Radeon graphics ...

And yes I would expect Risen 2 to be more demanding - I was just confirming that.
What you didn't say is, did Risen 1 run as smoothly on a similar setup of it's generation?
It did not, and that was something that I confirmed.

Back
Top Bottom