ATOM RPG - ATOM RPG Indie Showcase interview

Sorry didn't notice before…

I agree on it. The design should have be adapted to possible unarmed/melee playstyle in a way. For example, no equipped weapon could allow your character twice moving max distance. Also, some additional skills like grabbing a hostile and using as bulletshield would be nice.
Ah well. You can still go for it earlygame, but mid and late game you'll practically just pose as a bulletsponge and spam stims. No fun in that.

Still, I hope they won't waste time on "fixing" this in Atom. The game is good as it is and there is no need to pimp it till doomsday.
I need a sequel and they can redesign the noGuns system in it.
In fact mostly everything is playable melee, I stopped the melee play at level 19 but it was Easy difficulty, which is handy for a first play to have more margin for abilities.

I haven't done the Mushroom underground combat. But finished dan's quests, finished all bunkers, did fully both external areas, did everything else I found, and even killed the main city gang.

I wouldn't advise pistol/SMG nor Throwing either, I have doubt that it's much efficient late game. The game design is martial/melee/pistol&SMG/throwing are secondary weapons for low levels, Automatic/Rifles&Shotgun are primary weapons.

Quality of Life Update 1.08 Live - Steam
Finally, it’s time for the big Update! We did a lot of work this time, and positive improvements have touched upon a lot of the game aspects. Playing ATOM is now genuinely more comfortable. The inventory management is easier, the interface in general is more intuitive, the follower mechanics have more options, the re-balancing of weapons made combat more dynamic and interesting, especially during the new random encounters. And of course we added a lot of new NPCs, quests and maps for you to test all of the new features.

Dunno about him, but I do have more than one advice and I made a thread about it.
Which is full of spoilers though…

The most important advice? Without spoilers?
Do not put any skillpoint in unarmed or melee. Even if it feels like a good idea, just don't.

The thing is, once you have guns, melee makes no sense. There's a reason why on modern battlefields soldiers don't go into battle carrying maces and spears along with their assault rifles and machine guns. I wish sci-fi type games would just give up on the whole melee thing (unless you are talking about super powered Jedi or some such thing) because it really doesn't make sense.

ATOM RPG “Dead City” Cinematic Trailer

Here's a cinematic trailer we made for the upcoming ATOM RPG - Dead City Update. Only two days to go. See you on the 29th! Available for Linux, Mac OSX, and Windows.

I am playing melee and unarmed and don't use guns myself. It is quite fun.

The patch coming tomorrow has new content and they did a nice little trailer for it:

I haven't played Atom, but,

I tend to go into these gun RPGs and pick melee because I'm sure I'll always have it with me and I don't know how rare guns and ammo are but I'm sure I can find a good stick or something.

Then when I think about whether to specialize it annoys me that every gun is it's own category. For some reason RPGs think if you have maximum skill/levels in Assault Rifles that experience wouldn't also apply to Sniper Rifles. Gun's a gun. Why can't the category just be "small-arms"? Especially when it's not a party based game, like original Fallouts or Underrail or something.

I really hate locking myself in on a first playthrough. On the replay, knowing where the guns are, I could comfortably

I always go full melee, I might have a secondary skill with either rifles or pistols, or perhaps heavy weapons. When the choice is there, I really just prefer to swing a hefty sword or axe.

It's a good era for RPGs when I have games like this sitting in my backlog. :)

Regarding unarmed/melee: I've read ATOM gets quite difficult later on without guns.

Sounds reasonable. It wouldn't really make sense to be a powerful melee character (late game) in any game that has a settings with guns. Perhaps it could make sense if you're a stealthy character or if you have extremely powerful armor.

The thing is, once you have guns, melee makes no sense. There's a reason why on modern battlefields soldiers don't go into battle carrying maces and spears along with their assault rifles and machine guns. I wish sci-fi type games would just give up on the whole melee thing (unless you are talking about super powered Jedi or some such thing) because it really doesn't make sense.
It doesn't make more sense to use melee when there's long range magic.

The realism have limit, if you go there then all weapons are pointless but the most powerful type.

The game design include many little burden coming from realism design approach, not that it's really realist but because they feel it more realist, in reality all those combats have absolutely no link with reality.

One you have admit it, then pistols can start be non pointless weapons, and at end close range can be playable. In fact many changes to the game in last updates tempered many excessive focus on a sort of realism to increase gameplay possibilities.

Sounds reasonable. It wouldn't really make sense to be a powerful melee character (late game) in any game that has a settings with guns. Perhaps it could make sense if you're a stealthy character or if you have extremely powerful armor.
In this game despite with last 1.1 updates dev argued that now close range is really playable, it's better consider close range options as a second weapon choice, sometimes even a third weapon choice.

Back
Top Bottom