Couchpotato's Random RPG News - Page 102 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Couchpotato's Random RPG News

Default Couchpotato's Random RPG News

January 19th, 2022, 21:54
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
In my case, it's so easy : The beginning of Pillars 1 way so incredibly dark and gruesome it really turned me off, making me not want to play the sequel.
Especially since I decided to play the sequel ONLY after having played the first game, and since I don't like the first game …

Others might very well like that. I know of enough people from forums who like it especially dark and gruesome.

I believe graphics should be supporting of the story - if the story is dark, so should the graphic, because it is hard for me to be immersed in a setting which doesn't fit with the graphics. So the writing of Pillars of Eternity was dark too, but that wasn't a problem for you - only the graphics?

Dafela

Watchdog

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

January 19th, 2022, 22:30
Originally Posted by largh View Post
I also tried to finish PoE 1 and did not manage. My problem was not that the story was dark or gruesome, rather that the world they had created never sucked me in. I don't know why. Perhaps because of the classes or something. I believe that had it been old DnD, I would have felt differently.

Then came the Pathfinder, which I found much better than PoE 1. After that, someone made a turn-based mode for the Pathfinder and now I cannot even think of returning to PoE games.
I agree with all of this. Both Pathfinder games are much better and POE would have been a much better game using DnD rules instead of the custom ones they made.

vanedor

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

January 19th, 2022, 23:05
I agree too, a D&D / Pathfinder would have gone a long way to motivate me more. It's a fine game but I can't get into the mechanics. In PoE2, there's also a lot of lore constantly thrown at the player, which makes the potential barrier even higher.

Redglyph

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)

January 19th, 2022, 23:58
Pillars having its own system and setting was about 75% of its appeal to me.

JFarrell71

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)

January 20th, 2022, 16:07
Originally Posted by JFarrell71 View Post
Pillars having its own system and setting was about 75% of its appeal to me.
This. D&D is better, but I don't get people wanting every game to have the same system. Plus I prefer the art style in PoE to Pathfinder's.

I'm ashamed to say I still haven't played PoE II yet.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)

January 20th, 2022, 18:40
Originally Posted by Dafela View Post
I believe graphics should be supporting of the story - if the story is dark, so should the graphic, because it is hard for me to be immersed in a setting which doesn't fit with the graphics. So the writing of Pillars of Eternity was dark too, but that wasn't a problem for you - only the graphics?
When I bought the game, I wasn't aware that the story would be so dark. If I knew, I wouldn't have bought it in the first place.

I don't remember any advertisements or previews stating that it had a very dark story.

On the other hand, cynically put, nobody would buy RPGs with "light" stories, so to say, at least not "western style " RPGs. I don't even remember any of that type from within the last 10 years.
Edit : With The Dungeons Of Naheulbeuk probably being the only outlier to that.
--
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)

January 21st, 2022, 14:39
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
When I bought the game, I wasn't aware that the story would be so dark. If I knew, I wouldn't have bought it in the first place.

I don't remember any advertisements or previews stating that it had a very dark story.

On the other hand, cynically put, nobody would buy RPGs with "light" stories, so to say, at least not "western style " RPGs. I don't even remember any of that type from within the last 10 years.
Edit : With The Dungeons Of Naheulbeuk probably being the only outlier to that.
Thanks for your answer I get it that dark moods doesn't have to be for everyone. I don't watch/play horrors because my subconsciousness would take it an replay it. I like those games/movies as immersive art pieces, and I know a lot of people who prefer them as something extraordinary, just I stay away from them.
But Pillars were more too slow for me, maybe one day I will get the right mood and finish it.

Dafela

Watchdog

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

January 22nd, 2022, 04:26
I do find that almost incredible to believe, JDR. You simply must play the second game at some point, I'd be curious to hear what you think of it on its' own and compared to the first game.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)

January 22nd, 2022, 05:00
Dying 2 Know More Let's Talk About Parkour With Tymon Smektała
loading…
We have some juicy details about parkour for you! Tymon Smektała…, Lead Game Designer knows everything about Dying Light 2 Stay Human, and will reveal some interesting facts about it!
Dying 2 Know Behind The Scenes

loading…
The last episode of our Dying 2 Know show was aired last week. Curious how it was created? Join us for yet another short journey where we show you the behind the scenes footage!
--
“Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks.”

Couchpotato

Professional Shitposter

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)

January 22nd, 2022, 05:05
Lost Eidolons - January 2022 Dev Update

loading…
January development update with ODS Creative Director of Lost Eidolons, Jin Sang. This lighter month's features shows new cutscenes, models, designs, scenarios, and more!
Master of Magic Remake - January 2022 Developer Diary
Diplomacy is an integral part of the Master of Magic gameplay. It refers to the interaction between the Wizards. This interaction ranges from the initial meeting, to trade agreements, peace treaties, throwing out threats or joining an alliance, as even though there can be only one, sometimes it is a good strategy to work together to beat a common enemy. All of this is of course handled by the AI that decides how and when a Wizard will react to the player and to other Wizards. In the original game, there were a lot of things that never really worked beyond the concept, so we hope our AI will bring to life the ideas of the previous designers.
Soldak Entertainment - Next Game Ideas
This is still pretty unofficial, as in I could change direction still, but I'm pretty sure our next game is going to be kind of a hybrid between Din's Curse and a game like Terraria or Starbound. Since it will be similar to Din's Curse and take place in the same universe, it will feel somewhat familiar. However, it might at the same time be our biggest departure from the typical Soldak game, especially since it will most likely have a camera perspective change.
Interview with Jagged Alliance's Ned Mansour - RPGCodex
In spring 2021 I played and completed Jagged Alliance 1 for the first time. I was impressed with how well it holds up today and randomly decided to look up the people who made it. Most were hard to reach, but fortunately, the person responsible for most of the art and animation in the game - Mohanned (Ned) Mansour - had an online presence so I was able to ask him some questions. The answers were very interesting, especially for anybody into gaming art history. Now I wish I prepared ahead of time… But here it is (interspersed with Mobygames screenshots)
--
“Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks.”

Couchpotato

Professional Shitposter

January 22nd, 2022, 05:34
Mark Darrah explains BioWare Magic

loading…
Let's talk about "BioWare magic" Its a term I thought had stopped being used but SOMEONE used it on Anthem BioWare magic when used within the studio refers to a particularly bad bit of development that causes crunch. It isn't good or cool. Its naming a crappy thing in order to make it seem better, or ok. Much of this channel is dedicated to trying to improve process so that "BioWare Magic" or whatever other studios call it can disappear forever.
No Dragon Age 4 This Year - Tom Henderson
A source with knowledge of EA's plans has said there's "no chance" that Dragon Age 4 will release in 2022.
Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order sequel is reportedly releasing in Q4 2022
Things are set in motion to reveal the next Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order game by Respawn Entertainment. Following today's announcement that LEGO Star Wars will release April 5th, a May 4th reveal now seems incredibly likely. Expected to release Q4 2022.
--

Couchpotato

Professional Shitposter

January 22nd, 2022, 13:48
Originally Posted by Dafela View Post
Thanks for your answer I get it that dark moods doesn't have to be for everyone. I don't watch/play horrors because my subconsciousness would take it an replay it. I like those games/movies as immersive art pieces, and I know a lot of people who prefer them as something extraordinary, just I stay away from them.
But Pillars were more too slow for me, maybe one day I will get the right mood and finish it.
I've come to the thought that maybe the second game just wasn't played / bought that much [i]because8/i] it had a lighter theme, and that people preferred the first one because of that.

If that is true, then my own taste in RPGs is rather a statistical fluke, an statistical outlier, so to say, or, "the odd man out".

I believe that this is rather the case, because I see so many dark games within the last years, and people happily buy and play them.
Except me, so this means to me, that my taste is nothing important here.
--
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)

January 22nd, 2022, 14:07
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
No Dragon Age 4 This Year - Tom Henderson
Haha, if you hadn't mentioned it here.. I had completely forgotten about it.
--
Sou tricolor de coração!

Sie sind das Essen und Wir sind die Jäger!

henriquejr

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)

January 22nd, 2022, 14:22
Yeah, shocking news about Dragon Age 4

Redglyph

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)

Tags
interviews, mods, previews, reviews, videos