State of Decay 2 - Beginner's Guide

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Windows Central has some tips for the upcoming survival game State of Decay 2:

State of Decay 2 beginner's guide: Exploration, base building, and survival

State of Decay 2 is a zombie apocalypse survival simulation like no other, and we've got some tips to get you up and running (literally).

State of Decay 2 is by no means a perfect game, but for fans of the franchise, and fans of zombie media in general, it's an unmissable experience that will keep you hooked for hours and hours. It's also deceptively complex.

State of Decay 2 features base-building mechanics, a subtle, but rich role-playing game (RPG) layer, and various intersecting sim features that can either make or break your nascent survivor community. Here are some basic tips to help you get started, without spoiling the joy of discovery.

In State of Decay 2, you manage a whole community of survivors, and each member has their own unique traits and stats. The way these systems intersect impacts the efficiency of your community, and while the game doesn't telegraph them too strongly, there are menu systems where you can view how a character's behavior might be impacting your community.

Despite playing for dozens of hours, I'm still discovering new bonus character traits and skills, but there are a few basics that come with every character:

• Cardio governs your stamina levels and endurance.
  • Wits can improve your scavenging and stealth skills.
  • Fighting affects your capabilities in melee range combat.
  • Shooting improves your skills with guns.
[...]
More information.

Wow....you honestly need windows ten to play it?? Well, off my list for certain then, I'm still quite happy with my windows seven, they'll have to pry it out of my cold, dead hands at some point.

Doesn't seem to be offered at good old games or steam, which is pretty odd.

Wow….you honestly need windows ten to play it?? Well, off my list for certain then, I'm still quite happy with my windows seven, they'll have to pry it out of my cold, dead hands at some point.
Well it's released on the Universal Windows Platform app for Win 10, & might get a Steam release at a later date, but don't count on it as Microsoft funded this game.

Link - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/state-of-decay-2/9nt4x7p8b9nb

I am buying standard edition for now. If i will see that dlc is worth i can buy it later. Right now you don't even know what this dlc is about.

Seems like an odd decision to only make it available at the Windows Store. I wasn't a big fan of the first game anyways. Play Dying Light if you want a good zombie game.

Seems like an odd decision to only make it available at the Windows Store. I wasn't a big fan of the first game anyways.
It's basically the new Windows Live just rebranded as the Universal Windows Platform App. So far it's mostly unknown games, but it has a few Triple A games by Microsoft.

Link - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Universal_Windows_Platform_apps

Seems most developers will release on Steam & GOG, and I'm glad for that.
Play Dying Light if you want a good zombie game
I hated Dying Light when it was first released, but the enhanced edition made me change my mind. Just don't finish The Following as the ending is not satisfying at all.

I hated Dying Light when it was first released, but the enhanced edition made me change my mind. Just don't finish The Following as the ending is not satisfying at all.
I found The Following less compelling than the original game. It sounded great in practice, but I found racing around in a car in a more open zombie setting less thrilling than "dodge the zombie" in a more urban setting. It was still good though.

This one... I guess I'll wait for Steam. Why lock it to yet another service that MS might yank away? I haven't played State of Decay 1 yet, anyway. (It's in my priority queue)

Quantum Break was originally only available on the Windows Store.

I don't expect this game to do any better on the pc until it's available on Steam.

I found The Following less compelling than the original game. It sounded great in practice, but I found racing around in a car in a more open zombie setting less thrilling than "dodge the zombie" in a more urban setting. It was still good though.

I finished the original game, but I haven't played the enhanced edition yet. I found the story very average, but the atmosphere was top-notch. Easily the best of the genre imo.

While I do not require a game to be on steam; I will never pay for a ms hosted game. They (ms) have proven just how easy it is for them to pull the plug and give consumers the finger when they shift corporate objectives.

Well it's released on the Universal Windows Platform app for Win 10, & might get a Steam release at a later date, but don't count on it as Microsoft funded this game.

Seems some people think the devs have tipped their hand that a Steam release is already planned. I'll probably buy it if they do release it on Steam. Buy it on the MS's new GFWL? No, thanks.

I don't know why you'd market a game as Windows ten only, seems a certain way to limit your sale potential right off the bat. Then, not putting it on either good old games or steam is just even more unusual.

Can Dying Light be played solo? I'm not a co-op dude.

I don't know why you'd market a game as Windows ten only, seems a certain way to limit your sale potential right off the bat. Then, not putting it on either good old games or steam is just even more unusual.

I'd guess a sweet deal with MS to give them distribution exclusivity for a while. They are still very keen to grow control of software distribution on Windows, and Valve knows it.

I bought this, but I hope it has a "don't hurt me" level of difficulty. I really suck at parkour elements. I also don't own a twitch device. Yep, total failure on the parkour stuff. I returned it before the measly 2 hour deadline.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom