D:OS Divinity Enhanced : Tactical mode party builds

Divinity: Original Sin

Wisdom

Torch & Pitchfork Vendor
Original Sin 2 Donor
*Updated*
Cleric : Sword/Board Defense, Man at Arms, Geo.
Midnight Oil, Summon Spider. Both unaffected by intelligence so should save me some skillpoints.

Wizard : Pyro, Geo.
Classic fire skills + Summon.
Considering adding teleport again.

Last edited:
Party 2.
Cleric : Sword/Board Defense, Healer (Hydro, Man-at-Arms, Shield)
Talents : Opportunist, Anaconda

Inquisitor : Dual Wands, Damage (Air, Fire, Witch).
Talents : Far Out Man, Pet Pal

So far so good. Cleric's HoT is good. Dual Wand is OP atm.
Love the tactical mode so far. Very pleasing to get wiped by a boss using some teleporting spell that my PC's use.

Two spells I'm having a hard time living without...

#2 Some sort of summon (spider is the most common).
Just the fact that there is another meat shield or target makes my life easier. Also as weird as it seems, they seem to have better accuracy than my PC's

#1 Teleport!
All those delicious barrels. Throwing mobs across the floor. The teleporting bosses, just teleport them back. I wish all my characters could have this spell.

My current party:

Cleric & Shadowblade (my characters)

Rogue & Ranger (Wolgraff & Bairdotr)

I'm playing in tactical mode.

My current party:
Cleric & Shadowblade (my characters)
Rogue & Ranger (Wolgraff & Bairdotr)
I'm playing in tactical mode.

Every time I use Shadowblade it gets ganged up on and curb stomped.

Updated the PC's above.

NPC J: healer, teleport, CC
Hydro spells can lock down enemies with freeze or stun.
Rain nice for clearing fire areas.

NPC B : Marksman
Not entirely sold on her yet. She packs a punch but is fairly squishy still.

After many false starts testing out multiple characters I decided to run two concurrent parties side by side. One is more melee focussed and the other more magic focussed.

Tactical mode frustrates me sometimes .... and I love it.

So far I haven't hit the spot where combat is a faceroll. I admit in the first DOS, after a certain amount of time all combat with the exception of bosses was trivial. It's nice to still have to plan during a fight.

There are a couple of times where I feel the AI cheats or magically has better dice rolls.

All in all super happy with it so far

Thoughts on inquisitors.....
Wands are great at certain things. They only have medium range so sometimes that fireball isn't useable without friendly fire. They have limited charges (I find many though, never needed to craft one yet).
Inquisitors still squishy. They also get targeted by AI AOE spells so your first moves are getting safe. Once they do unleash they can do some hefty damage. Thunder jump has become a favorite if mobs are otherwise engaged.

I am playing with a two handed standard warrior and my main is a Wayfarer - seems like a general class although I like the nature background on them.

Tips I posted from another thread. All work together to make tactical a bit easier.

Learn what status effects can be combined. I'll admit it took an embarassingly long time for me to figure out the fog effects in the original.

Watch the terrain! Sometimes the graphics dont make it crystal clear what they are standing in/around.

Party synergy. Make sure you are not cancelling another status effects.

Melee characters can carry multiple weapons with diff elemental effects but for me thats no different than older games requiring blunt, slashing, peircing. I remember games where piercing damage to skeletons did zero damage… even if you were wielding "Godly Diamond Rapier of Death and Destruction +3"

In DOS it might just take you a bit to figure out a mobs resistances. Not all of them are intutive, but more are.

Don't play archer if you dont want to craft/find/horde arrow types. I'm glad they didn't go the route of stacks of 20 arrows in every slot, but also glad they didnt just let the ranger pull magic effects out of nowhere on unlimited ammo. The archer requires a little micromanagement. Same for inquisitors limited charge wands.

Food and beds can heal you.

Steal paintings for cash.

Teleport is godly. Consider dropping barrels, throwing bosses away, pulling enemy mage to your fighter etc.

Setup the battlefield with water or oil prior to engaging.

Charm and debuffs. Charm is ridiculously OP. Dont underestimate debuffs. I've found dropping npc saving throws is enough for my party to status effect.

Don't spread your stats. Try and focus on a primary and secondary

Not that I'm planning on playing on tactical mode anytime soon, but would like some feedback for the following party:

Cleric: Willpower, Bodybuilding, Shield Block, Hydrosophist, Witchcraft. Int, Con and some Str.

Lone Wolf Ranger/Rogue: Dual Wield, Bow, Scoundrel, Expert Marksman, Willpower, Bodybuilding, Sneaking, Pickpocket. Spd and Dex.

Henchman Wizard/Crafter

Madora… her Southern accent isn't worth a shit but she is so deliciously paranoid! :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom