The Surge 2 - Videos and Preview

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
The Sixth Axis previewed The Surge 2 and DSOGaming reports on many new videos.

You actually find yourself waking up from a coma in a hospital gown with other inmates out for your blood, not to mention the guards, so you soon realise you're going to have to fight your way out. The Surge 2 throws you straight into the thick of it and it's here that the game stakes its claim to a corner of the Souls-like genre, with its trademark dismemberment mechanics efficiently setting it apart from FromSoftware's output.

"This was really essential to us to keep what was working and expand on it," Johannes explained. "We were sure that we found the formula there with the limb cutting, so it just could not go! To separate us from just being recognised as a clone of Souls games to something else we added this twist, so we were sure we had to keep it.

He continued, "You will feel that with each enemy you have several new options, like that you can cut away attachments, which deactivate functionality on the enemy and can open up weak spots. The same for bosses which was not really there in The Surge. Bosses can survive a cut, but you can remove the shield, you can bring them to their knees and can suddenly reach the head which was not open before and so on. It was like 'We need a base. That's our core, we will not touch it!' But we will use it to give the player freedom of choice and more choices to play with."

[...]
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

Didn’t play the first one because the setting seemed pretty bland and I’m not much in to robots but i may give this one a try.

This one seems to have more varied environments and after i complete ACO and elex i’ll need another 3rd person ARPG to play until elden ring is released.

after i complete ACO and elex i’ll need another 3rd person ARPG to play until elden ring is released.

You can try Greedfall. Maybe it wont have combat like Surge 2. but everything else looks better in Greedfall IMHO, especially whole RPG experience (+story).

Didn’t play the first one because the setting seemed pretty bland and I’m not much in to robots but i may give this one a try.

This one seems to have more varied environments and after i complete ACO and elex i’ll need another 3rd person ARPG to play until elden ring is released.

If you like Soulsborne games and sci-fi setting, you must definitely give Surge 1 a try. Core gameplay is similar but it has some interesting mechanics to seperate it from its brethren. Also if you didn't play yet, you can try Lords of the Fallen. Another Soulsborne game from this company, Deck 13.

Lords of the Fallen is a wonderful gem that has many features and mechanics that sets it apart from the Souls game. Very enjoyable with throwback to old (legacy of kain) type action adventure. I can't recommend it enough.

I have tried the surge 1 for a couple of hours and uninstalled it. The combat is good and dismembering is a nice mechanic, but what killed it for me is that enemies respawn when you go to clinic centre to upgrade - why? I can understand the respawning when dying, but why would enemies respawn in a futuristic setting because I got into a machine to upgrade - makes no sense and killed the immersion for me.

You can try Greedfall. Maybe it wont have combat like Surge 2. but everything else looks better in Greedfall IMHO, especially whole RPG experience (+story).

Forgot about greedfall its on my wishlist and I’ll definitely be playing it.

If you like Soulsborne games and sci-fi setting, you must definitely give Surge 1 a try. Core gameplay is similar but it has some interesting mechanics to seperate it from its brethren. Also if you didn't play yet, you can try Lords of the Fallen. Another Soulsborne game from this company, Deck 13.

Played through lords of the fallen twice, quite a good game. Sad what’s happening to the sequel. I’m also interested in code vein but not 100% sold on it yet.

Have similar thoughts. Maybe Ill try this one.

Forgot about greedfall its on my wishlist and I’ll definitely be playing it.

Played through lords of the fallen twice, quite a good game. Sad what’s happening to the sequel. I’m also interested in code vein but not 100% sold on it yet.

Code Vein is also on my radar, although I'm not that fond to anime sytle. As a Soulsborne game, I'm now playing Immortal Unchained. Not a bad game and primary emphasis in combat is guns rather than melee weapons in the game. Also it has some pretty weird setting which reminds me Too Human game from the past decade. If you don't approach the game with high expectations it is enjoyable actually.

Back
Top Bottom