IMDB's 100 top rated movies, it's all change!

It's not the same person. Both made some brilliant works. :)

Watch before dying, from both, are (note that I didn't watch *everything* from them yet, so can't comment on every single title):

Chan-wook Park:
Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance
Oldboy
The Handmaiden

Joon-ho Bong:
Memories of Murder
The Host
Mother
Snowpiercer

Avoid Lady Vengeance and Barking Dogs Never Bite, those are pretty much irrelevant except a couple of scenes that make them a slightly above average material (for example prison licking scene in the first one and 100m measurement in the second), but a few interesting scenes don't make a mustwatch.
Life is short and you don't have time for mediocrity nor close to mediocrity.

And I still didn't watch Parasite. Will do, of course, eventually. Currently have tons of other titles to explore and lack of time for everything.
:(

EDIT:
Have to correct myself. I've mentioned that The Departed, although being an unnecessary remake of the already brilliant movie, is on the list unlike the original as I've looked only the first 100 entries.
The original Infernal Affairs is also on the list, only it's placed at the spot #245.

Now seeing the whole of it, I say the list is not bad at all. Sure, some titles I'd replace with some other movies, and for sure some movies would be higher/lower than there, but overall that list is a good reference for anyone who's just stepping into the world of movies, wants to ditch overhyped mainstream rubbish and concentrate on some actual quality.
There is always more to it and will always be, but one has to begin from somewhere, and this list is much better than any other I saw before all over internet. Maybe because it's 250 titles and not just 50 or 100 so it had space for more entries? Doesn't matter.

Last edited:
I saw The Host a week or two back, it was very entertaining. It lacked a certain something, but I'd find it difficult to put what that something is into words as its a combination of tonal issues and plot issues, but, yes, well worth a watch and about as original and funny as any generic monster movie can be in such a cluttered genre.

I've seen around 75% of those, and I think half of them are genuinely great, the other half between good and very good. And as everyone has different tastes, I think they deserve to be there.

The fact that the list has become more varied over time is only a good thing. The more different genres, countries and tastes it represents, the better list it is.

Cinema Paradiso is said to be a really good movie.

I hope I can watch it one day, but since I've been moving away from non-animated movies, I can't say when this might be.

There are others (movies) I miss, however ...

I think I've seen 35 out of the top 250 :p. Granted, there were a good 20 more at least that I think I've seen, but I'm not sure anymore so I discounted them based on not being on my media drive. I also question the validity of any top-x list of movies that doesn't include the fabulous documentary on the Old West; Blazing Saddles.

Cinema Paradiso is said to be a really good movie.

I hope I can watch it one day, but since I've been moving away from non-animated movies, I can't say when this might be.

There are others (movies) I miss, however …
That's a move too drastic. Cinema Paradiso is as drama as drama can get being drama.
I have to suggest exploring a few good german comedies first. Yes, those exist, I thought it's not possible but as usual, prejudices are there to be dealt with. ;)

I did mention a few in the movies thread but can't remember from top of my head which ones exactly, the one I watched the other day I do remember the title, it was Soul Kitchen, an unbrushed and overlooked gem if you ask me.

I think I've seen 35 out of the top 250 :p. Granted, there were a good 20 more at least that I think I've seen, but I'm not sure anymore so I discounted them based on not being on my media drive. I also question the validity of any top-x list of movies that doesn't include the fabulous documentary on the Old West; Blazing Saddles.
Shame on you for neglecting the art now thanks to streaming services available to everyone. :p

Blazing Saddles is not a documentary but a 4th wall breaking satire, genious enough to be fresh even today. Do not die before watching it!

The list discussed here is not any single person's choice but a list based on imdb users' highest average score of movies that got scored by at least 25K of people.

There are problems with such list ofc, for example not many old classics will be on it not because of some low score but because not many people scored those in the first place. Another problem is "patriots" who inflate their cinema's mediocrity to skyhigh number (example: an utter boredom that's supposed to be a thriller Andhadhun).
And etc, too many nannies make an useless kid, right? ;)

Still, as I posted previously, for a newcomer, by that I don't mean a child but anyone who had enough of mainstream garbage and wants to experience some serious art, this imdb's top 250 is a better entry ticket than any of top50-100+ lists I've seen before.

"Modern Times" by Charles Chaplin is still a classic to me. He made gre<at movies.

But .. old great movies seem to just get buried under modern movies ...

"Modern Times" by Charles Chaplin is still a classic to me. He made gre<at movies.

But .. old great movies seem to just get buried under modern movies …

I don't think that's the case at all. I think top 100 had only 11 movies from the last 10 years. And since feature film format is pretty much 100 years old now, it's a fair representation.

Chaplin for example has at least 4 movies on the list, I might have missed some.

And a lot of movies we might consider as "modern" are really 20-30 years old at this point. Hardly modern any more. Shawshank Redemption for example is 25 years old.

I'm sorry to hear about throttling provider scammers, depending on a country net neutrality is not always guaranteed. This is something that'll probably fix itself with 5G implementation as it'll compete against wired traffic and thus scammers will have to up their game with a better service.

About how many movies from a certain decade is in top 100… It doesn't matter. It's top 100. You can't put 34756349658347685376384 movies from just one year in some top 100.

The point I was making and Alrik added to it is that some movies perhaps should be on the list, yet barely any imdb registered user watched those. Watched in some acceptable form.
Here's one example of "perhaps should make an entry" you've never heard about:
Repeat Performance

As usual imdb "forgot" to add this is also a time travel fantasy (not sure if time loop).
Noir+time travel? Ever watched such movie? No, you didn't. This is the only one that exists (had some TV remake later but screw remakes).
The reason why this movie is pretty much unknown today is the sorry state of it's dvd release. Thanks to some zooming/stretching process praised on console garbageware and called upscaling, the movie on dvd is plagued with the horrible blur as if your myopia is -20, but in this case no bottle bottom glasses can help it. When you read what Amazon customers said about the dvd release quality, you won't be buying it and you won't be watching it!

Not saying this particular title is a definite top100 material, I'm just saying if it is, it can't be on imdb's list because of their criteria.
But at the same time, thanks to that very criteria, many garbage movies that get close to 10/10 upon their release thanks to overpumping scores by paying a few "reviewers", can't appear on the list.

Last edited:
Your Name is sum of copypasted scenes from many other animes sold as a romance, if you're not interested in romances, skippit. That fourth title I didn't watch.
'Your name' is excellent. Very beautiful animated, vibrant colors. By itself it is fantastic that the animation quality can elevate something so standard into art. Of course I liked the story too (also check out 5 centimeters per second).

5 cm/s is also a romance. ;)
I'm not the best person to judge romances as 99% of those annoy me to death. I do however remember two recent (recent to me, I didn't watch them when they appeared for the first time but during past few months) that I adored immensly, Castaway on the Moon and The Launchbox, but these moved away from "classic" romance blueprints drastically. Of course there were more romance movies I loved in the past, if only I could quickly remember their titles.

But I have to ask you this, if a person who can't stand romance movies finds a few romance movies, erm… adorable? Fantastic? Great? Superb? Not even sure how to say it.
Okay, have to rephrase, if a romances hater loves certain romance movies, does it say anything about those particular titles or means that the hater has no taste at least when romances are in question? ;)

Note that I'm not saying these should be in top100 or top250 as I'm not fan of the genre. That's for you to judge and I can't wait to see your opinion on both.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with a romance :) Although I admit the story in 5cm/s and your name really takes a backseat to the animation quality.

Favors of youth is a set of short stories in a similar vein (what story?), perhaps even more extreme. It is all about the atmosphere and animation.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8176578/

Watch it and tell me you don't feel like making noodle soup afterwards ;-)

But I have to ask you this, if a person who can't stand romance movies finds a few romance movies, erm… adorable? Fantastic? Great? Superb? Not even sure how to say it.
Okay, have to rephrase, if a romances hater loves certain romance movies, does it say anything about those particular titles or means that the hater has no taste at least when romances are in question?
Thanks for the 2 suggestions. I have added them to my list.

The way I see it. I love horror/thriller/scifi so I even like the real garbage movies in that genre. I like romance movies too (as almost all other genres), but I'm way more picky.

Things I liked on the top of my head:
About time
A Lot Like Love
Blind date (french movie)

Yes, not the best imdb scores but notice that the first two all span a long time period which might be an indication of my taste.

Though I don't watch many movies, I've seen a surprising number of the movies on your list.

I'll disagree with Lucky Day a bit on Spider Man. Its visually incredibly impressive. I've never seen a film capture the feel of a comic book better. Whether that alone merits a place on top 100 movies is debatable.

I'll disagree with Joxer on Princess Mononoke. It does have a message, but I still think its a good movie. The Princess is not a particularly sympathetic "good guy" and the antagonists are not simply bad, in fact they are often more sympathetic than the Princess. On the other hand, its typically Asian in its ending, so not for people who can't handle depressing endings.

I remember thinking the Piano was quite good, though it also has a message. (it critically looks at colonialism and the treatment of women)

Requiem for a Dream was far too depressing for me, but its a good movie if you like that kind of thing. Oh, and it makes you never want to take hard drugs, so it has a message too.

... I just wondered ... would being an rather extrovert or an introvert person have some influence of what movie a person would call a "best of all times" ?

Nothing wrong with a romance :)
I agree, but my problem is I usually don't care about anything in romance movies. I do watch them, but am rarely impressed.
I remember thinking the Piano was quite good, though it also has a message. (it critically looks at colonialism and the treatment of women)
I hated that one. :)
… I just wondered … would being an rather extrovert or an introvert person have some influence of what movie a person would call a "best of all times" ?
Any personality traits do. So yes, just like I can't stand praise of mundanity movies because I can't stand mundanity in RL either, an extrovert person won't be able to enjoy claustrophobic Alien 3 for example.

Few odd comments about AP's list.

30. Harakiri: Harakiri is a Samurai genre classic and for a reason. A thoughtfull film about the bushido code itself. I think it deserves it's place on the list.

67. Oldboy isn't for everyone for sure. Bloody, shocking and grotesque describe this film quite well. I think I wanted to take shower after watching it. Is it worth of watching? The film has a purpose most certainly, but it wasn't an enjoyable film to watch.

21. City of God. I think I saw this over a decade ago or something. I can't remember the exact details of the plot, but what I can recall is that it was basicly a tale about two guys whose lives went into the opposite directions. Through their personal personal stories, we also learned the story of that city where they grew up. Deserves five stars most definitely.

25. It's A Wonderful Life: Just happy stuff to watch. Where I live, they always show this during christmas time. :) I wouldn't place it so high on that list, but people do like films which make them smile, just like shawshank redemption, this is one of those.

86. Good Will Hunting. I thought this was quite touching story to watch. The ending in particular felt very uplifting. Matt Damon's most memorable role in my opinion. Robin Williams did terrific job as well. An oscar well deserved.

Edit: Also about Spiderman and other comic films. I just don't get why people like these superhero films so much. Most superhero stuff just bores me to death… Overly family friendly and safe in every possible way.

Few superhero / comic films I liked thought:

The orginal batman films which Tim Burton directed: Batman (1989) and the sequel: Batman returns (1992). Those were so cool films. Batman as a character is not your typical superhero. He is somewhat an oddball compared to your typical superhero. A loner and perhaps mentally unstable. Burton understood that very well. And he understood gotham city as a setting better than anyone else. Burton's gotham city was dangerous, fun and sexy, as was the catwoman. :p

Later batman films: Batman Begins and the sequel: Dark Knight were to my liking as well. Perhaps a bit more serious than earlier Burton's films and bit less sexier (sadly), but batman as a character was taken back to it's roots in a cool modern way.

Logan (2017). Now here is an unexpected marvel film. There is real story and emotion. A tragedy even. I wish we got see more this type of superhero films instead of the typical hollywood bs.

I did like the earlier Wolverine films as I like the character quite much. Those were more typical superhero films though. But I recommand watching Wolverine movies in order to better understand the story in Logan.

The Crow (1994). I expect that many don't think this as a superhero film, but it is based on a comic. It is tragic, dark and violent. A film to my liking.

Deadpool (2016): Although I tend to like more serious tone, Deadpool I just loved. It was funny, violent and sexy. I think it is important that it didn't take itself too seriously. It was like a mockery of your typical goody two shoes superhero. :)

Last edited:
Personally, I didn't like anything superhero related even as a kid.
Meanwhile we were watching the … second ? Superman movie in cinema (birthday present of a then-friend), I couldn't relate to it.
Today I believe that I am (and was) far too much intellectual for that stuff. Plus, it isn't something I could create good stories of.

And then you refused to explore elsewhere. Probably didn't give a shot to modern versions, many hated Batman vs Superman but IMO it's an underrated masterpiece not understood by the audience who wanted some shallow michaely bay style movie.

Then again, maybe it's Hollywood's general presentation that's not something you want, in which case…
I've already pointed at two Hentai Kamen movies in the movies thread, but if a superhero solving world problems with underwear does not sound fun to you, there is a recent intellectual gem in the wild: Inuyashiki.
In it superheroics are used to describe generational gaps and criticize modern "values". Yes that includes phones, facebooks and all sorts of irrelevant trash people are brainwashed to consider as the most important thing in their lives.
Of course, as usual, you'll just ignore my suggestion, never watch it and continue to use some outdated movie as an example. Man…

But there is still hope, so another note. DO NOT watch the anime series Inuyashiki on Amazon prime, it's an utter crap. Pick the movie.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom