Quantcast
Non-RPG General News - Are AAA games really failing? - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Non-RPG General News - Are AAA games really failing?

Default Non-RPG General News - Are AAA games really failing?

January 4th, 2017, 18:19
PCGamesN asks the question -

Are triple-A games really failing?

If there’s one thing we can all agree on, it’s that triple-A studios have created some truly wonderful games this year. But, as we’ve learnt many times this year, the deserving candidates don’t always win. Qualitatively, it’s been one of the best years for blockbuster releases in recent memory, but while the disappointing Mafia III became 2K’s fastest-selling game ever, the infinitely superior Dishonored 2 hasn’t managed anything close to its predecessor. Every dismal sales report has been accompanied by a fresh glut of rumours about the decline of triple-A and its potential collapse.

A quick glance across the biggest games of 2016 confirms that a significant portion of the industry’s output has either underperformed or bombed outright. Reports have told a consistent tale of disappointing sales for Watch Dogs 2, Titanfall 2, Dishonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, Quantum Break, Street Fighter V, and perhaps unsurprisingly, Battleborn.

[…]
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

January 4th, 2017, 18:19
yeeeeeeeees. please die please die please die

borcanu

muist

+1:

January 4th, 2017, 18:50
Simple solution: Create more open world, sandbox style RPGs. So few of these come out on a yearly basis. Yet still in 2016, we have devs creating consolized FPS games on rails. You have to go into the BBB game range to get the gems of this year.

jpnole

Watchdog

January 4th, 2017, 18:59
Seems easy to figure out. Developers have taught gamers to wait to buy games with buggy releases and DLC model I don't typically get to games until 1-2 years after they release.

That gives me a patched stable version with all DLC and at a discount of 30-80% depending on sales. Seems like a no brainer.

Release stable games with all the content on day one and they will see a rise in preorders and first week sales. Keep doing what thier doing and people will wait longer and longer.

This isn't just a AAA game thing either. Indies and kickstarters are just as bad. I'm still waiting for POE to be "finished". Every time I think it's safe another patch gets released.

sakichop

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

January 4th, 2017, 19:03
Originally Posted by sakichop View Post
This isn't just a AAA game thing either. Indies and kickstarters are just as bad. I'm still waiting for POE to be "finished". Every time I think it's safe another patch gets released.
That's kind of ridiculous. At some point you have to roll with your game and call it finished. I know we are in the era of "endless support" for games but a single-player RPG that isn't an online game needs to be considered finished at some point.

Fluent

The Town Jeweler
RPGWatch Team

January 4th, 2017, 19:16
Originally Posted by Fluent View Post
That's kind of ridiculous. At some point you have to roll with your game and call it finished. I know we are in the era of "endless support" for games but a single-player RPG that isn't an online game needs to be considered finished at some point.

Yes, but that's not how many developers work and add many features last minute.

This creates bugs and they release it with bugs. Then sell dlc which fixes the first bugs, but creates new ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
Original Sin Donor

Send a message via MSN to Pladio

January 4th, 2017, 19:21
Another article. Until the vid product industry gross tells something, there is nothing to conclude.

Out of the five examples, only one could be meaningful.

Street Fighter V: hard to see why it is in the list.

TitanFall 2: released in a congested period

Quantum Break: by product of a failed project.

Dishonoured 2: Too in advance for the PC average rig.
--
Backlog:0

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

January 4th, 2017, 19:22
I considered getting Dishonored 2…but it is simply too expensive (in my country) for a game I'm not that enthusiastic about playing. So, I will likely wait for it to become a lot cheaper and buy it then - eventually. I think they also overestimate how much people are willing to pay for AAA…

booboo

Keeper of the Watch

January 4th, 2017, 19:24
Originally Posted by Pladio View Post
Yes, but that's not how many developers work and add many features last minute.

This creates bugs and they release it with bugs. Then sell dlc which fixes the first bugs, but creates new ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's also odd that a game like PoE released a *beautiful* hardcover strategy guide so early and now all of the information in the guide is incorrect.

Yes, I will keep mentioning this every time PoE is brought up. I want a nice and ACCURATE strategy guide if a strategy guide is offered.

Fluent

The Town Jeweler
RPGWatch Team

January 4th, 2017, 19:39
It's also odd that a game like PoE released a *beautiful* hardcover strategy guide so early and now all of the information in the guide is incorrect.
That is hardcore challenge. Make strategic plans based on incorrect info and still win.

Yes, I will keep mentioning this every time PoE is brought up. I want a nice and ACCURATE strategy guide if a strategy guide is offered.
Don't worry. They will patch the guide in 2020 after the release of PoE2.

Farflame

Keeper of the Watch

January 4th, 2017, 19:45
Originally Posted by sakichop View Post

Eh? That's just Sawyer balancing a thing or two.
The game works fine as it is.
--
Rush in and die, dogs…I was a man before I was a king.

BoboTheMighty

SasqWatch

January 4th, 2017, 19:52
Failing? Yes and no.

Marketing is too expensive, but also necessary for AAA, so publishers will have to change their strategy there.
Also, lack of new IP's and innovation. You need something that looks exciting and unique on the market…most of those mentioned, didn't live up to that.

Think we'll have less AAA ( with only big development studios with strong player base) and more middle A-AA coming out in future.

As for Mafia…how did it sell well? Think it's somewhere at the bottom of Steam seller 2016 list. Probably they shipped more than they sold.
--
Rush in and die, dogs…I was a man before I was a king.

BoboTheMighty

SasqWatch

January 4th, 2017, 19:58
It's not that different from the movie business. Some big budget games will succeed, some will flop. Things will work themselves out.

rjshae

Periapt vs Paronomasia
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

+1:

January 4th, 2017, 20:41
for the most part these AAA games suck (CD RED and Square Enix being notable exceptions) and indie games are real gems (from Grimrock to Stardew Valley)

Its sort of an inverted principle… the more passionate and malnourished devs are the better games they make just look at Underrail
--
"… thing about Morrowind is we did far more than we could, far less polished than we should. It's a miracle that it works at all… there's too much, and it's like jazz… a product like Oblivion - far better software… but Morrowind… oh there's so much delicious nonsense in that." ~ words of wisdom by K.Rolston

luj1

SasqWatch

+1:

January 4th, 2017, 21:29
I think this is a much bigger problem than most gamers realize. You're looking at investments in the neighborhood of $50 million or more; a limited number of publisher-connected development studios; and only a handful of independent studios capable of making AAA games. A big flop can mean the death of a studio; and that has happened over the past several years.

Its not the same as the Movie industry because the AAA video game has no equivalent markets to the B movie, made for TV Movie, or direct-to-video movie markets for investment recovery in the case of non-blockbusters; see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AAA_(video_game_industry).

Businesses just aren't going to make these investments without reasonable expectations of profit on these huge investments. Its much safer to invest in stock and bond portfolios; indeed, the business test of whether to make a business investment is whether the the expected profit substantially exceeds a predetermined "hurdle rate", the latter being the expected returns from stock, bond and equivalent investments.

The industry is changing and shrinking. It is what it is.

__

RPGFool

Sentinel

January 4th, 2017, 22:35
Originally Posted by RPGFool View Post
Its not the same as the Movie industry because the AAA video game has no equivalent markets to the B movie, made for TV Movie, or direct-to-video movie markets for investment recovery in the case of non-blockbusters; see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AAA_(video_game_industry).
Ah, what about console games then? Aren't most the equivalent of rubbish B movies? How about phone games or tablet games? There's a broad spectrum of computer games being made, not just AAA titles.

rjshae

Periapt vs Paronomasia
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

+1:

January 4th, 2017, 23:00
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Ah, what about console games then? Aren't most the equivalent of rubbish B movies? How about phone games or tablet games? There's a broad spectrum of computer games being made, not just AAA titles.
I understand what you;'re saying. But console and PC markets are the same for the current AAA video games. Possibly the PC might be a secondary market for a less than stellar console; after considerable new work; but a AAA video game usually needs to succeed in the console market and in many if not most cases, also in the PC market.

Phone games and many tablet games are an entirely different market. Basically you're looking at additional, not alternative, revenue streams, and a product with entirely different capabilities and characteristics -- requiring additional investment.

Look at it like this; you're an officer of a movie company looking at an investment. Shareholders are going to have your butt if you approve a huge bust of an investment. With a movie you can count on a fallback position, for a less than stellar movie, of video market; rentals; tv movies; even Netflix and the like these days. You can take the same product and sell it in other markets and get some or all of your investment back, and quite possibly even make a profit for your shareholders.

But where you gonna go with a video game bust? Lower the price to cheap in the same market. That's currently it as far as I know.

__

RPGFool

Sentinel

January 4th, 2017, 23:03
Yea yea, that's why we got ourselves a stupid phonegame bundled inside of DX:MD without option to get rid of that garbage.

There is no additional stream, there are proper products, good mediocre or bad, and there are milking scams not deserved to be called videogames.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

January 4th, 2017, 23:30
Isn't it funny how almost every game on the list is a sequel? Maybe make a new game, people. Maybe people are sick of playing the same game the 6th time.

forgottenlor

Font of Useless Knowledge
RPGWatch Team

January 5th, 2017, 00:22
Originally Posted by RPGFool View Post
Look at it like this; you're an officer of a movie company looking at an investment. Shareholders are going to have your butt if you approve a huge bust of an investment. With a movie you can count on a fallback position, for a less than stellar movie, of video market; rentals; tv movies; even Netflix and the like these days. You can take the same product and sell it in other markets and get some or all of your investment back, and quite possibly even make a profit for your shareholders.

But where you gonna go with a video game bust? Lower the price to cheap in the same market. That's currently it as far as I know.
Heh, stretch the analogy to the limit in order to prove me wrong. But I did say, "It's not that different from the movie business", rather than "it's identical to the movie business". Whatever. Have a good one.

rjshae

Periapt vs Paronomasia
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

+1:
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Non-RPG General News - Are AAA games really failing?