Avernum 3: Ruined World - Jeff Vogel Blog

If he decides to go into some abstract mobile friendly game format you can definitely count me out.

Top down/icons can be fine, if they are very detailed and artistically pleasing (which I'm sure they will be, at least a bit above the level of his current engine's graphics, otherwise why would he be doing it?)

Think IceBlink Engine with much more detail. I'd like that.

If he decides to go into some abstract mobile friendly game format you can definitely count me out.

His current games are already very mobile-friendly. So are Baldur's Gate, Planescape: Torment and so on. I've played them on tablet, they're very good.

I expect it to be top-down done to a higher quality level than what you think of as a typical top-down game. That would be my guess based on what we've heard.

Think an improved Realmz. That would be dope, too, IMO.

Not sure why you'd expect him to dumb his games down or make them look graphically worse than his current stuff. I'll wait to see what it looks like before jumping to conclusions that it's going to suck.

Well, it's not making games worse by intention. But remembering the late 90s lots of people apparently thought "Well, that Gabriel Knight game surely looks much better in 3D and it's totally modern".

I think with his low budget it's a very thin line between "still charming" and "cheapo crap"

Well, it's not making games worse by intention. But remembering the late 90s lots of people apparently thought "Well, that Gabriel Knight game surely looks much better in 3D and it's totally modern".

I think with his low budget it's a very thin line between "still charming" and "cheapo crap"

The money he raises on Kickstarter will give him a huge budget compared to what he's used to. And I don't know if it could get any more, eh.."low budget charming" than what it already is.

Would it actually be possible to make his games look graphically worse? :)

That's what I'm saying, lol. Not only would that be impossible but I also wouldn't expect him to choose something that looks worse, either. Either way I'm excited as hell to see it. I have to play more of his stuff but I always get distracted with other games.

Well, as long as it doesn't end up looking like something knocked together in Visual Basic forms, like that more recent Knights of the Chalice game :/

Yeah KotC2 looks pretty terrible. I've no idea why he chose to go down that route when the first one looked perfectly fine. But it won't stop me playing it, if it ever does come out - the game itself is likely to be awesome!

It's the same with Vogel for me. I quite like the current style; I hope the new style doesn't look worse. But whatever. I enjoy his games enough to trust him on this one. And, like Fluent, I expect it will look fine at the end of the day.

I do hope that the new IP has an interesting premise, I'm curious about where he's likely to go with it. I haven't read the Reddit yet - does he say anything about the systems or world for the new IP, it is it all about the engine and graphics?

Ok I've read it. Seemed a good enough excuse to delay going into work. :) He comes across as a good bloke, I enjoyed his answers. In relation to my question above, the answer is basically "no", but I've copied a few relevant quotes below that are scattered throughout the AMA.

We're making entirely new IP. New game system, new graphics, new world, new story. I hope (no promises) to do a Kickstarter early this summer with a full announcement.

It will still be a low-budget, turn-based, icon art fantasy RPG with a rich story. If you are expecting fancy tech, shiny 3-D, or big budget, nope. We're still us. Within those bounds, it is different from anything we've done before, and I'm very excited about it.

I think you will find our new game system incorporates a lot of new ideas and design elements of contemporary RPGs. I've been inspired by a lot of newer titles. It sure feels fresh to me.

I don't like repeatable quests. I definitely want to move away from grinding. I'd like the next game to ideally give the full experience in 20-30 hours.

Our next game will be a little less wordy than our older games

Many many new mechanics.

Turn-based and tile-based is pretty much permanently our thing

What I found very disappointing:

I don't like music in games. I like incidental sounds (rain, breezes, etc). It's my style. If you want music in your game, you can pick far better music for you than I can.

That's fair enough, I think. There are people on this site who think like that as well. Each to their own, etc.

I'll simply repeat what I always do with Spiderweb games: Make your own RPG oriented playlists and soundtracks for play in the background; compile them in accordance to what you think best suits the mood of the game. Certainly works for me at least. :)

To be fair 3d in the 90's wasn't that strong and had very little to do with things other then it was early stage 3d.

What I found very disappointing:

I don't like music in games. I like incidental sounds (rain, breezes, etc). It's my style. If you want music in your game, you can pick far better music for you than I can.

In other words, he can't make the music himself so like hell will he pay for it. Profit margins.

Out of the hundreds or thousands of games I've played, two have had acceptable music, to date. I'd much rather any funds go to improving the actual game rather than for crappy music, I can provide my own and it will be far superior.

From the hundreds of games I did play there are only 2 or 3 games which had non-acceptable music. One of them is Heroes of Steel RPG. And the other 1 or 2 I left as margin of error.

Not sure why you'd expect him to dumb his games down or make them look graphically worse than his current stuff. I'll wait to see what it looks like before jumping to conclusions that it's going to suck.

Icons likely means he is headed to a system similar to Battle Brothers. I don’t enjoy the abstraction. Cant get into it. So yes to me that is a step backwards.

Back
Top Bottom