Pricewatch!

Wow, this has to be the weakest Steam sale ev.... oh. <ahem> The 25th, not the 24th. <blush>

The Steam sale has started, and it is indeed very weak imo.

Shadowrun: Hong Kong is 50% off, but that's the only deal that has caught my eye so far.

The Steam sale has started, and it is indeed very weak imo.

Shadowrun: Hong Kong is 50% off, but that's the only deal that has caught my eye so far.

I saw that Sword Coast Legends was 33% off ($26.79). Had it been 50% off I would probably have bought it despite what I've heard. Even 33% is pretty close ...

You sure? I don't think it's playable on tablets… :p

Meanwhile Origin has also their sale, many stuff, not all though and with some uncommon discounts.
Dragon Age 3 is on my side is some odd 62% off. :confused:

For people wondering if the specific Steam sale is a deal or not, you can use Steamdb sales page that compare the current sale price with the known historical low (aka green is good).

Warning, query volume might make it slow to load.

I saw that Sword Coast Legends was 33% off ($26.79). Had it been 50% off I would probably have bought it despite what I've heard. Even 33% is pretty close …

I personally think it is worth that $27 price tag just for the solo campaign once you stop being crazy over the version of D&D you want it to be. Next month they are going to add branching dialogs and editable tile sets to the DM side which is something a lot of campaign creators are waiting on.

Can anyone say if the prices in current Steam sales will be the same in Winter's ?
Thanks!

Gamersgate also started their sale.

XCOM Complete Edition and Lord of the Fallen are in the 48 hours deal (at 80% and 75% off).

Lots of Focus games at 75% off too (that include most of the Spiders RPGs like Bound by Flame and Mars War Logs) and all the 1C games are on sales too (King's Bounty, Elven Legacy and a couple of other RPGs).

Can anyone say if the prices in current Steam sales will be the same in Winter's ?
Thanks!

Yes, no, depends. They will probably be quite similar during the Christmas sales, games that have been a few years out are unlikely to have different discount, but it doesn't mean publishers can't change their minds.

Note (taken from Neogaf): That being said, Valve has allowed publishers to set a different discount for the Winter Sale, so unless you plan on playing/using/watching whatever it is that you're eyeing in the immediate future or it is in danger of being pulled due to, say, licensing issues, you'd likely be better off sitting on your hands for a few weeks (metaphorically, not literally).

Last edited:
Lots of good stuff and high reductions. Just swept over Adventure games I bought for my mother.

But RPGs also received some big discouts.
Grimrock 2 is 80% off (personally I still won't buy it)
Blackguards 2 is also 80% off (won't buy it either)
Pillars of Eternity is 50% off (still at 20,99€ though)
Shadowrun Returns (the first one) & Dragonfall (the second) are 80% off
Halfway is 70% off and down to 2,99€ (highly recommend it)
Avadon 1+2 and Avernum are 80% off and down to 1,99€ - great games!
Legends of Eisenwald is 50% off
Gothic 3 is 80% off
FTL is 60% off and down to 3,99€ an absolute must buy
Driftmoon is 80% off and down to 2,39€ a hidden gem I recommend
Witcher 1 is down to 1,19€
Witcher 2 is down to 2,99€
Skyrim and Fallout are also both 75% off
Might and Magic X is 50% off and down to 12,49€

And these are the most interesting ones I saw.
For a full list check RPGWatch Curation list:
http://store.steampowered.com/curator/4973374-RPGWatch

Last edited:
Make sure you know the differences though.

E.g. it makes no sense to buy Mount & Blade or Mount & Blade With Fire and Sword as Mount & Blade Warband is superior and doesn't really leave "space" for the others to breathe. (All three are stand alones)

Cant say anything about napoleon wars and Viking Conquest though.

Haven't seen it mentioned, but Elite: Dangerous is 67% off in the Steam sale. I've never been quite sure if I wanted to try that one, but at that price I might give it a shot.

Just be aware that while it gives a reduction on the full price expansion, the expansion includes the whole game. Meaning you don't gain a lot by buying it now.

Really depends if you want to play right now. If you don't I'd rather wait. Especially because landing on planets, which is coming with the expansion might be a big deal. Well, it definitely is to me.

Oooh, I've always wanted a Raspberry Pi. Well, obviously not always, but for a while. The big question is what I would do with it.

I hear the most fun is building it? I think the one selling point is the 1080p video output so people use it as a portable video player, but there is an app store.

Hmm..I wonder if there's an optional battery. One article I read said it is powered by the USB port - so a cheaper Chromecast maybe?

Just be aware that while it gives a reduction on the full price expansion, the expansion includes the whole game. Meaning you don't gain a lot by buying it now.

Really depends if you want to play right now. If you don't I'd rather wait. Especially because landing on planets, which is coming with the expansion might be a big deal. Well, it definitely is to me.

Argh. I just grabbed it. What's this expansion you're talking about exactly? Is that a separate game or more like a DLC that ties into the current one?

Last edited:
Argh. I just grabbed it. What's this expansion you're talking about exactly? Is that a separate game or more like a DLC that ties into the current one?

IMO, they have a really exploitative sales scheme. The original game is quite limited, and they explained that they would be adding new features over time. However, they are now releasing the first wave of new features - and charging full price of a new game to get them. Presumably, this will continue, as they charge $190 for a "lifetime pass" to get all new updates.

If you bought the original (rather empty) game for $50, you must now pay $45 for the upgrade. If you never bought the original, you get the game and the update for $60. So, early buyers are charged $95 by comparison. Now they've put the original game on sale, so if you then go on to buy the upgrade, you simply get charged twice.

Essentially, you must rebuy the game at full price as they upgrade it. I'm sure the supporters will be along to explain how this is all marvellous, but just be aware of how they do things.

Elite Dangerous is taking place in the milky way which has been built (procedurally generated) to scale. It is probably the biggest game universe (literally) ever.
Any expansion will always fill that universe with more content and more things to do. The 'Horizons' expansion will add the option to land on planets. Until further notice, you can safely assume that every DLC/expansion will be an add-in and not a separate thing.

By the way, just to give you an idea of the mind-boggling massive scope of this game here is some stats from an official newsletter (July 2015):

[FONT=&quot]We've crunched the numbers and discovered that the average play time across ALL Elite: Dangerous players in our community on PC, Mac (from the Frontier Store and Steam) and on Xbox One is a massive 64 hours. It's a remarkable figure, and we want to thank you for spending so much time in our galaxy[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]We also learned just over 1,200 players have spent more than 1,000 total hours in the galaxy each since launch. That's an average of four and a half hours every day from our most dedicated players since December 16.

And all that time spent adds up to a lot of exploration. So far an incredible 11.3 million systems have been explored by players. At the current rate of play the Elite: Dangerous community will have charted the galaxy's 400 billion star systems in 23,417 years. We'll be finished by the year 25,432, so here's hoping 255th century computers are PC compatible[/FONT]

The Expansion already includes the base game. And now people are pissed they have to pay "twice". The only reasoning I can understand here if you argue that the base game was promised as more and wasn't worth the price. And you have a reason to be pissed if you bought the base game without knowing about the expansion before the expansion released.

But apart from that that is a normal pricing policy and one which absolutely makes sense.

If you buy a MMO, let's say World of Warcraft, you get all the Base Games including the first 4! Expansions for 15€. And the latest expansion is full price.
Now you can argue that is totally unfair. People who started playing 2004/2005 paid like 300€ for all this content new players get for 15€.
Thing is, that these old players could play the past 10 years with these. And the developer wants to promote the current expansion and not make you buy 7 different games. Oh you missed expansion 5 and only got 1-4 and 6? Too bad.

And it's the same with elite. I mean Games always get cheaper.
If you want to start with the Witcher series now you get Witcher 1 and 2 for like 5€. Back at release they costed like 50€.
So are these players in disadvantage and punished because they paid 100€ instead of 10€ for the first 2 games?
It's just common sense. They want to sell their current product and giving away their past stuff cheaper. That is how it works with any game.

I see. Well, I'm contemplating asking for a refund, but… I only paid like 12$ for it, and it seems you get a 10£ discount if you own the "base" game and want to get Horizons, so that's not too bad. That boils down to simply paying the full price for Horizons then, but already having access to the current version now.
Or does that discount only apply if you pre-order Horizons (which I have no intention of doing)?

Then again, I have no clue when I'd get to even installing this game, with a backlog a mile long. I've watched some gameplay vids and it does look good though. It's worth it just to fly through our own solar system.
Do they keep it updated as we learn more about our universe (like with the recent NASA missions to Pluto and such)?

All this should probably go in a separate thread, though. :p

To get back on topic, the Humble Store is having a Black Friday sale too. The entire Fallout and Gothic franchises seem discounted, among others.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom