Non-RPG General News - 10 Best Post-Apocalyptic Games

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Twinfinite share their list of the 10 best post-apocalyptic games.

The Last Of Us

Naughty Dog are masters of emotional storytelling, and The Last of Us still, years later, represents the developer's peak in terms of storytelling.

The world in The Last of Us is wracked by the devastating Cordyceps virus, turning humans and animals alike into horrendous zombie-like creatures that are sensitive to sound.

The Last of Us tells a very personal story about the life of Joel and Ellie, two survivors stuck in this horrible reality. It's a fascinating study of human nature, as the two characters become co-dependent on each other, past what is healthy.

The Last of Us also does a great job at portraying the brutality of humanity in an apocalyptic setting.

Both the protagonists and villains blur the lines between good and evil, and create questions about what happens to morality in times like this.

Tokyo Jungle

Remember when we said post-apocalyptic games need to do something unique? Well, you can't get much more unique than Tokyo Jungle. There are no humans left in this apocalypse, only animals, and that's exactly who you play as.

You start out as a Pomeranian in the ruins of Tokyo, struggling to survive, and as you complete missions you'll get the chance to play as even more animals. There's a basic story to see in Tokyo Jungle, but the game is so ridiculous that it ends up being loads of fun, and it knows how ridiculous it is.

Based on which animal you're playing you'll face different challenges, like fighting Cat bosses as the Pomeranian, or taking on a tough Beagle when you play as a Hyena.

It's absurd, but it's one of the most wonderfully unique post-apocalyptic games out there.

[...]
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

Oh wow, nice list. I usually don't agree with lists like this, but this one has three games I've played, and I agree that they represent very good to great interpretations of the post-apocalyptic genre.

1. Fallout 3 - yep, nice pick. Every time I fire this up, I enjoy playing the setting.

2. The Metro games (they picked "Last Light") - I agree very much these are beautiful and atmospheric games, if a bit cramped playing in tunnels most of the time. Still, a very good game play post-apocalyptic experience.

3. Wasteland 2 - bravo! What a great and unexpected pick. Indeed, this game is criminally under rated, in my opinion. Wonderful atmosphere, interesting and large world, and typical themes and lovely desert landscapes of a post-apocalyptic setting.
Awesome tactical turn-based combat doesn't hurt either.

I will have to check out some of the other games listed too. Some of them look pretty intriguing to me.

Last edited:
Imho FO3 had the better stories and setting. But NV had the better gameplay as FO3 was grindy at times.

Anyways, before I put Rage into the list, I'd take any other real fallout game (1/2/NV/4), The Fall, State of Decay, Fallen Earth and ofc Burntime.

Hell, if you're going to put in State of Decay, I'll throw in Dead State.

I have a pretty strong suspicion I'm in the minority opinion around here on Dead State. I don't think it's perfect or anything, but I would definitely put it on the same list with State of Decay.

Fallout 76. :sarcasm:

I am Alive is a pretty solid game. Also great are: This War of Mine and Frostpunk.

Surprised no mention of Stalker.

Well for a short list it's not bad.:nod:

Still with only ten picks a lot games get left out.

Also F:NV beats Fallout 3 in every area.:p

FO3 was bad.

Fallout: NV on the other hand is what FO3 should've been.

It wasn't bad to me although the final robot battle was ridiculous. And why my mutant buddy did not survive the radiation chamber made no sense. But it was still fun gaming. But F3 would never reach my final 10 in that both Fallout 4 and Fallout Vegas were far better games in my book.

Can anybody list that top 10 list? My browser will not let me advance on that site.

Can anybody list that top 10 list? My browser will not let me advance on that site.
Here you go.:)

1. NieR: Automata
  2. Horizon Zero Dawn
  3. Fallout 3
  4. The Last Of Us
  5. Metro Last Light
  6. Wasteland 2
  7. Tokyo Jungle
  8. Rage
  9. The Division 1 & 2
  10. Splatoon

This War of Mine, while not technically 'post apocalypse' but basically is since you never know who's fighting who or why, should be considered.

Fallout New Vegas was probable the best PA game I've played, and I really enjoy(ed) Telltale's Walking Dead game series.

So...no Dead Island (and Riptide is quite good in terms of story and setting), no New Vegas, no Dying Light, no Stalker, no Frostpunk, no Enslaved, no Fallout 1/2, no Mad Max.
The Fall, Atom RPG, State of Decay, Dead State, Telltale's Walking Dead are other excellent post-apocalyptic games. Hell, even SpecOps: The Line and Binary Domain have post-apoc elements. And they have excellent stories.

Survivalist, Bioshock, Borderlands, Deadlight, How to Survive, The Long Dark...

Yeah...seems more of a list of the most popular post-apoc games....

I have a pretty strong suspicion I'm in the minority opinion around here on Dead State. I don't think it's perfect or anything, but I would definitely put it on the same list with State of Decay.

One of my favorites too.

P.S. Like the Age of Decadence and waiting for Colony Ship.

Neither Fallout one or two is on that list? Fallout three is ok but doesn't compare to the prior two, I call major foul!
It looks like a console-focused site, so it may actually be excusable in this case. What isn't excusable is including FO3 and not F:NV.

More of a clickbait article than anything. He lost all credibility to me when he said Last Light was the best of the Metro series. I have to question if he's actually played them.

He lost credibility to me when Couch wrote the whole list.
Half of titles, if not more, I've never heard about.

Back
Top Bottom