Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Highlighting Now Optional

I'm serious, well, Edios is serious, it's explained in their French blog.
Then you should´ve said so ;).
Anyway, it´s clear as a day that
The feature have nothing to do with gameplay.
is untrue.

If it was "purely artistic" I would like to see their justification why it highlights only objects you can interact with.

There's a pretty big difference between items being highlighted regardless of whether or not you're looking at them.

Deus Ex required you to not only be looking at something, but also be within close range before the targeting box would appear.

The issue with highlighting in DE:HR - as it APPEARS - is that exploration and the sense of discovery is partially ruined when you know exactly what you can interact with - without even investigating the scene.

It's just no fun entering a room and have the game point out to you what your options are.

Well, I certainly don't think it's fun.

If you can't see the VERY significant difference between the two, I just don't know what to say.

All I know of the issue is the video I saw, which didn't show what you are talking about. I thought the issue was just things getting that orange highlight around them when you were near them, indicating you could pick them up or open them.

The objective markers were something else entirely, and I am far from defending that nonsense.

All I know of the issue is the video I saw, which didn't show what you are talking about. I thought the issue was just things getting that orange highlight around them when you were near them, indicating you could pick them up or open them.

I'm not sure how you could miss what he's talking about. The video clearly shows that, when the highlight option is on, usable objects are highlighted even when you're not close to them, and even things as simple as doors are highlighted.

Didn't you just claim that the old games had the same issue? Are you saying you didn't actually watch the video we're all talking about? What video did you see?

The objective markers were something else entirely, and I am far from defending that nonsense.

Are you saying you're defending highlighting as it works in DE:HR without the disable option?

Because it's fuzzy what you're really saying.

Didn't you just claim that the old games had the same issue? Are you saying you didn't actually watch the video we're all talking about? What video did you see?

The video I saw just showed orange highlights around items you could pick up, or doors you could open. I didn't see anything beyond that, and the first two games did the same thing. If there is more to it than that then I admit my ignorance about it.

I haven't watched a lot of videos in order to avoid spoilers, but I thought I watched the one people were complaining about.

Are you saying you're defending highlighting as it works in DE:HR without the disable option?

Because it's fuzzy what you're really saying.

I'm pretty sure I said I will turn it all off, so I don't know how it can be fuzzy.

The video I saw just showed orange highlights around items you could pick up, or doors you could open. I didn't see anything beyond that, and the first two games did the same thing.

No, Deus Ex did not do the "same thing". Why do you keep trying to insist that?

The original game had only thin white brackets that appeared around an object when you were very close, and directly focused on it.

The video I saw just showed orange highlights around items you could pick up, or doors you could open. I didn't see anything beyond that, and the first two games did the same thing. If there is more to it than that then I admit my ignorance about it.

No, the first games didn't do the same thing. The first Deus Ex didn't show highlights except if you came close to the object and pointed at it.

I haven't watched a lot of videos in order to avoid spoilers, but I thought I watched the one people were complaining about.

Whatever you saw, you certainly missed the point.

I'm pretty sure I said I will turn it all off, so I don't know how it can be fuzzy.

It's fuzzy because you seem to insist the game does the same thing as the first games did - and it seems you have an incredibly hard time simply saying you were wrong about it. Sort of strange, given how trivial it would be if you simply made an honest mistake.

Adding Augmented reality in DX was an artistic decisions, they wanted to represent what augmented reality could be like in 2027…
… and coupled it with gameplay functionality.

I didn't see anything beyond that, and the first two games did the same thing.
Highlighting in the first Deus Ex was totally not the same thing as highlighting presented in the infamous Deus Ex: HR video, are you really unable to see the distinction?

Actually, DE:HR is quite close in this regard to the original Deus Ex now, but only after the "augmented" highlighting is turned off.

I see what you guys are saying, it highlights whether you are directly pointing at it or not. Yes, that is worse than the originals, and no, I did not notice.

So thanks for clearing that up.

I see what you guys are saying, it highlights whether you are directly pointing at it or not. Yes, that is worse than the originals, and no, I did not notice.

So thanks for clearing that up.
I think, that a lot of people, like you, innocently didn't noticed that. The uproar would have been even bigger.

I think, that a lot of people, like you, innocently didn't noticed that. The uproar would have been even bigger.

Still doesn't bother me as much as others. Just a matter of how other people like to play. It makes sense when you have robotic eyes like someone already said its like the terminator. Constant data updated and showing possible routes to take.

The issue with highlighting in DE:HR - as it APPEARS - is that exploration and the sense of discovery is partially ruined when you know exactly what you can interact with - without even investigating the scene.

It's just no fun entering a room and have the game point out to you what your options are.

But hey. That's just so SUPERHUMAN, isn't it? It's just like the augmented reality glasses of the FBI agent in Heavy Rain which highlight all the clues when you put them on. Does not that make sense? Why would you(not as a player, you as a character) want to search through stuff if an augment that automates that is readily available? The only reason is because you(as a player) like searching through stuff, but that's just metagaming, and that's always breajing immersion.

So now that developers have stated that such an investigative augment exists, refraining from using it would be breaking immersion.

But hey. That's just so SUPERHUMAN, isn't it? It's just like the augmented reality glasses of the FBI agent in Heavy Rain which highlight all the clues when you put them on. Does not that make sense? Why would you(not as a player, you as a character) want to search through stuff if an augment that automates that is readily available? The only reason is because you(as a player) like searching through stuff, but that's just metagaming, and that's always breajing immersion.

So now that developers have stated that such an investigative augment exists, refraining from using it would be breaking immersion.

That's just a rationalization from the developers imo.

Why would someone need an augment to let them know they can manipulate obvious things like doors and cardboard boxes?

DX:HR is not a augmented reality simulator or even a 2028 simulator. While I understand the reasoning for using that augmented reality, the way it's implemented in the game it just spoils it, in my opinion. Sure it helps to immersion, but also breaks the exploring part of the game, like others have stated.

That's just a rationalization from the developers imo.

Why would someone need an augment to let them know they can manipulate obvious things like doors and cardboard boxes?
Many RPG didn't allowed open any door but only few, not that they was closed and you could try some tricks to open it but they was here just for the look of the place.

It's not necessary to use an highlight, but some made look different doors you could open. In Drakensang I found it not well done and tedious to use the cursor to try check doors that could be opened and too many didn't allowed it.

Myself I feel a highlight system tempered by distance and direct sight (ie not hidden by something else) is a good system allowing saving cost and offer something not too basic nor too tedious. You still need spend some design time to place mildly hidden stuff or build visual clues to attract the player attention on important elements. But such system temper the the mechanical search and preserve from the dumbed down effect.

DX:HR is not a augmented reality simulator or even a 2028 simulator. While I understand the reasoning for using that augmented reality, the way it's implemented in the game it just spoils it, in my opinion. Sure it helps to immersion, but also breaks the exploring part of the game, like others have stated.

Yes for you I understand what your saying but this game is not an open world rpg. There wont be any exploring just scripted levels with alternate ways to solve them.

Yes for you I understand what your saying but this game is not an open world rpg. There wont be any exploring just scripted levels with alternate ways to solve them.
You're saying that this will be more close and corridor type than the original. Is that, isn't it?
I hope not, but I wouldn't hold my breath. But even though, the current highlight is still too much. But we only will know for sure when we play it.

Back
Top Bottom