Baldur's Gate 2: EE - Now Available

It's a convenience thing. Based on the "new content" - I don't think it's worth 25$ by a long shot, because you can probably get it for less than 5-10$ somewhere, and if you already own it…..

That said, people don't care as long as it's easy and without hassle. Game is good and nostalgia is powerful.

Good lesson about humanity there, for people looking to make a buck.

Personally, I think the scaled UI looks like shit - and most zoom levels look equally bad. However, the new font is nice and it's certainly easy to install and run.

Started playing on Friday, and I'm almost done with Shadows of Amn. Doing Throne of Bhaal later this week.

So far I've encountered a few annoying issues, but nothing game breaking. The most annoying issue is a crash-to-desktop thing that seems to happen every few hours for me. Luckily, frequent auto and quick saves means I haven't really lost a significant amount of time due to it. Also, I'm a bit annoyed by the appearance changes to certain characters or items (Shield of Harmony, Aran Linvail, etc).

Beyond that, I'd say the new characters are pretty good, though I haven't tried the monk yet. I've played through the quests of Dorn, Hexxat and Neera, and they were all quite a bit more interesting and challenging than the existing companion quests.

Anyway, I'll probably write some more impressions later. Oh yes, before I forget: They've fixed exploits like item importing from BG1 with pause and pickpocketing Kangaxx for a second Ring of Gaxx. Somewhat frustrating to be honest, I actually liked using those for soloing purposes, ah well.

I just don't get the price points of these "Enhanced Editions". Besides scaling UI, a couple new characters, and an arena I couldn't care less about, what does it do that mods don't? I feel like I'm overlooking the selling point completely.

1). They fixed a lot of small issues with how the rules worked and such that mods simply couldn't fix. One of the authors of the fix pack weighed in on this

2). By rewriting the engine, the game simply runs better. Load and save times are non existent now.

Those along with the UI may or may not be of interest to you, but I think both games have been worth every penny

I'm not as interested in this one as I was the first one. It has nothing to do with price though, I think $25 is fine. There's definitely worse was to spend $25.

There are just a lot more options now for games with party based tactical combat. With XCOM: EW, aarklash legacy, Blackguards, arma tactics and so on I'm actually starting to develop a backlog of these type of games rather than starving for them.

I think that's also affecting many kickstarters, I funded every turn based kickstarter that came out in the begining, now there are so many I can be much more selective.

I'll still be getting BGEE2, I just don't feel the need to get it right now.

Back
Top Bottom