GamesIndustry.biz - Shadowrun Developer New Kickstarter

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
GamesIndustry.biz talks with Mitch Gitelman of Harebrained Schemes about kickstarter, and the company's plan for a new kickstarter.

With one Kickstarted project nearly in the can, Gitelman confirmed Harebrained Schemes is prepping to take a second shot at crowdfunded game development. He clearly enjoyed his first go-around on Kickstarter, and hopes to see it become a sustainable platform for game development, even if he can already identify some growing pains.

As Gitelman explained, "The real question for me is, 'Is Kickstarter a viable place where you can come with a new IP or an out-there idea and find an audience for that?' What I'm looking at with Kickstarter is whether we can really innovate in this space. Can we use that as a bully pulpit, and to cut through the noise enough to find an audience to support it? But now that Kickstarter is so big, it's almost like the iOS marketplace, so you have to market your Kickstarter and now you have to do even more work to get noticed. It's an evolving animal, and I hope it works out because I really like the idea of allowing gamers to voice their support in a way that allows indies to follow their passion."
More information.

The article is actually also interesting as an early post-mortem look back. I am curious what they will come up with for their next KS project. While I understand why inXile couldn't do that, I think its positive that they waited with a new campaign until their first KS game ships - gives people a chance to evaluate the effort before deciding to support or not support the next one.

It's sort of encouraging that they are planning a new Kickstarter now. It must mean they don't think they've screwed Shadowrun Returns so much as to put everyone off :). We'll see soon.

Back
Top Bottom