Dead Age 2 - Early Access Version released

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The Early Access version of Dead Age 2 has been released:

Dead Age 2

Dead Age 2 is a unique combination of survival, management, Rogue-Like events, turn-based combat, classic role-playing game with tons of quests and a story in which your decisions directly affect plot progression!

Features

• More complex story with no knowledge of the previous storyline necessary: If you haven't played Dead Age you will still be able to follow the diverse story of Dead Age 2 without difficulty.
  • Improved combat system (Final Fantasy X meets Darkest Dungeon): with fast-paced yet strategic battles and use of up to 24 skills
  • Faction Reputation System: Increase your standing with the three major factions to reap rewards and improve trade
  • 3D Base-Management: Assign tasks to survivors, craft items and expand you camp's capabilities for improved crafting options
  • Compact Open World: Free exploration of the world map with 80 detailed locations to search for valuable resources
  • Decisions with Consequences: Your decisions directly affect the story in a much more drastic way. Dead Age 2 has six unique possible endings
  • Rogue-Like Elements: random 3D events with permadeath! If you die, you may purchase upgrades unlocked in previous runs for your next playthrough. Choose from 3 difficulty levels

More information.

Early Access? So that means I'll probably play this in 2-3 years when it's finally content complete. Let it be said once again I hate Early Access release news.:p

Early Access? So that means I'll probably play this in 2-3 years when it's finally content complete. Let it be said once again I hate Early Access release news.:p

So guess you can't give an opinion on this then;)

@Kordanor I remember you mentioned you might play this. Please share your opinion. As I played the first game and my early impression is basically the game is the same.

If I don't read early access news, I'll never learn about survival games. They NEVER release :)

For instance, 7 days to die has won game of the year awards and it is still in EA since 2013.

@Kordanor I remember you mentioned you might play this. Please share your opinion. As I played the first game and my early impression is basically the game is the same.

I am afraid we are in the same boat though. Wont play it before release. So...

I liked the previous one though (which I only discovered years after release). It was simple, but engaging and well balanced. Ofc I dont know how well it was at release already.

Speaking of development: Checked for EA and Release date of DA1:
EA: 14 July 2016
Full Release: 4.11.2016

So if thats any indication, we might not actually need to wait for several years. ^^

Speaking of development: Checked for EA and Release date of DA1:
EA: 14 July 2016
Full Release: 4.11.2016

So if thats any indication, we might not actually need to wait for several years. ^^
I hope so and yeah I was being sarcastic. Most do usually take a year or more. Though I've seen plenty that have never left Early Access in over five years of development.

If I don't read early access news, I'll never learn about survival games. They NEVER release :)

For instance, 7 days to die has won game of the year awards and it is still in EA since 2013.
Psst @crpgnut I think it's time to change your name and avatar.

May I recommend SurvivalNut.:p

Ah...well, didnt get it as sarcastic, as yeah, some actually take several years.
But worst of all, some are actually not even finished at release and need patching for another year or two to get decent (if at all).
So...well, let's see. ^^

I'll likely check it out eventually - first game was decent.

I buy far less early access games these days and return a lot of them. There is a return policy, ya know. You can "demo" for 2 hours and return. Steam has never refused me a return for any reason as long as it's been within 2 hours - and on occasion even over 2 hours.

There are some really good early access games out there.

I've put 128 hours already into Urtuk, for example. Great game that's supposedly 99% feature complete (a sentiment that's rarely true - usually more gets added based on player feedback) Overall gameplay isn't likely to change much and even if it does, I've got more than my money's worth out of it already. Bought during summer sale for $15, so that's what, 12 cents an hour for a ton of fun and I'm nowhere near done with it - been playing it obsessively. I enjoy it far more many some similar games.

I'd echo that for 7DTD as someone else mentioned. I've had that game since before it was on Steam and have 786 hours in it ON Steam. The game was a blast before Steam and has changed a lot and continued to be enjoyable thru all its incranations.

Even on some games that didn't turn out as I was hoping, like Stonehearth I still got 60 hours out of it. Probably paid $20 or $30 for it. If I can get quality entertainment at .50/hour I'm good - I don't need EVERY game to yield hundreds or more hours of gameplay.

I've certainly got fewer hours out of some AAA games (that I usually won't buy full price knowing this, like the Tomb Raider games - those are play thru once and uninstall for me - great games but no replay value for me).

Most of my true "lemons" - games I bought and barely touched, are from before Steam had a return policy. I rarely hose myself these days. If a game doesn't grab me it gets returned to wait for more dev, wait for a sale, or just never grab again.

Being completely against early access just means missing out on a lot of great games. Some games never make it out of early access but one can get dozens of hours of gameplay - possibly more than released games. But, there ARE so many great games out there either way that it doesn't really matter. Whatever floats your gaming boat. Game on!

Being completely against early access just means missing out on a lot of great games.

Not really. They will either all fully release at some point OR they were so unsuccessful that they die before that - or just get a dummy rellease like Spacebase DF9. In that case you wouldnt have missed anything in the first place.

Psst @crpgnut I think it's time to change your name and avatar.

May I recommend SurvivalNut.:p
This has long been true. For the last two years I've almost exclusively played survival games. The reason is quite clear. You can never find a crpg that has single-player and single-character. Most survival games still have that option, so I play those instead.

There are some trash EA games - but there are also some truly amazing EA games. Factorio, for instance, is probably in the top 5 games I've ever played across all genres, has 'content' to keep you playing for hundreds - if not thousands - of hours, and is still in EA.

Something I just realized these guys are the developers of the Grotesque Tactics games.

Well the more you know as they say.
Will be released mid september btw ;)
Good to know I was worried it would take longer on EA.

Back
Top Bottom