4X Crusader Kings 2 Inspired Games In Space

Old Grognard

Jaded Old-Timer
Since I played a mod called Crisis of the Confederation for Cruasder Kings 2 I was hooked on that style of gmae. Then Paradox released Stellaris but removed the character focus.

In the end it just wasn't the same and now seems two developers have taken the best aspects of Crusader Kings II and crossed it with my beloved 4X genre. Here are the details.

First up we have Star Dynasties by developer Pawley Games. It's currently on Steam with a planned 2021 release, and the developer got his game published by Iceberg Interactive.

Link - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1194590/Star_Dynasties/
Star Dynasties is a sci-fi strategy game set in a divided galaxy following the destruction of Earth. The game mixes a light empire management strategy layer with a unique procedurally generated narrative of human drama and feudal politics, where your choices will define your story.

Up next is Alliance of the Sacred Suns by a developer called KatHawk Studios. Sadly he has no publisher, or a release date planned for his ambitious game yet. Hopefully soon.

Link - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1113400/Alliance_of_the_Sacred_Suns/
A millennia in the future, humanity is scattered and broken, forced to flee from a diabolical alien species that obliterated Earth and hunts humanity to this day. In this revolutionary 4X/Grand Strategy game, you are the last Emperor of the Celestial Empire.

Star Dynasties Developer Diaries Episode I - Introduction

Star Dynasties Developer Diaries | Episode II - Relationships

Star Dynasties - What is the Game Like?

I have to give a shout to that CK2 mod as well.

Link - https://www.moddb.com/mods/crisis-of-the-confederation
It is the Year 3008 The Ships fly from Terra once more as the crisis has ended with The Confederations defeat and disgrace With Tao Luo And The Imperialists Seizing Earth After a coup that imprisoned President Morgan and declared Tao Luo the New Emperor of Terra The Confederation now lies Fractured and Broken With Democracies torch growing Dim Will you Fight to restore democracy ,Destroy the Confederation and the Mistakes of the Past or Will you unite the Terran Empire Under Tao Luo The Golden Age of Terra Has ended its fire put out by the Flood we Can only hope Someone Rekindles The Flame..
Play it you wont be disappointed it reminds me of fading Suns.

Couch (I'll refrain from calling you "Old Grognard", you oldl grognard :) ), what are you looking for exactly? More 4X games? Have you tried GalCiv III, Endless Space 2 ?

Couch (I'll refrain from calling you "Old Grognard", you oldl grognard :) ), what are you looking for exactly? More 4X games? Have you tried GalCiv III, Endless Space 2 ?

Tried them all already. These games and mods make it your story and character in the setting. If you played Crusader Kings 2 you would know what I'm talking about.

Crusader Kings 3 releasing in September takes it a step further but it's not in space.:(

Tried them all already. These games and mods make it your story and character in the setting. If you played Crusader Kings 2 you would know what I'm talking about.

Crusader Kings 3 releasing in September takes it a step further but it's not in space.:(

Well, I actually have to thank you for sharing those games that I wasn't tracking: Star Dynasties, Alliance of Sacred Suns, and Stellar Monarch.

I believe you're wanting a game like "Crusader Kings 2 in Space". If so, then I can't help you, sorry :(

Well, I actually have to thank you for sharing those games that I wasn't tracking: Star Dynasties, Allice of Sacred Suns, ad Stellar Monarch.

I believe you're wanting a game like "Crusader Kings 2 in Space". If so, then I can't help you, sorry :(

Well Star Dynasties & Alliance of Sacred Suns are inspired by CK 2 and in space.:biggrin:

So I'm all set for when they finally release.:(

Star Dynasties CK2 In Space - A Developer Interview | Schematics Interview

As for Stellar Monarch you play as the Emperor you don't micro- manage every little detail as other 4X games. You issue decrees and the subjects fulfill your orders.

Watch out for disloyal admirals/governors.:cool:

There is a scenario you can pick to play where a civil war is happening already.

Star Dynasties - Developer Diaries Episode III - Households and Secrets

Star Dynasties is a sci-fi strategy game set in a divided galaxy following the destruction of Earth. The game mixes a light empire management strategy layer with a unique procedurally generated narrative of human drama and feudal politics, where your choices will define your story.

Hey CouchPotato,

I'm just revisting this thread you started. Any news on the Star Dynasties and/or Alliance of the Sacred Suns? Even if don't have any news now, when you do please post them :)

There have been two updates since I posted this thread.:)

Star Dynasties - IndieCade 2020 -- A playable demo has arrived!
As some of you may know, we're participating in the IndieCade festival among many other amazing studios and games. And in honor of IndieCade, we're making a demo of the game available for the duration of the event (October 16-24).

The demo is turn-limited, allowing you to play the first 20 turns of a game. Of course, being a demo, it's not in a finished state, so all standard disclaimers apply.
Demo probably still available for download.

Alliance of the Sacred Suns - What Did Our First Alpha Test Teach Us?
Well, it's been a while since I've written a blog, and that's because we've been very busy with our first alpha test. Overall, we got a ton of information that I believe will really help AotSS become the game it was designed to be. So, getting straight to the point, there are 4 things that we really took away from players, of which we'll dive into the first 2 points in more detail today.

1) The game needs to give more information to the player. Again and again, players wished that there were more tooltips, more popups, more everything to explain things.

2) The game systems need to be explained better. Similar to the above point, players had difficulty understanding some of the more esoteric systems like the claim system and trade.

3) The game needs to be more stable. As an evolving professional game developer, I fell into the trap of adding new features and hoping I would have time to fix any issues later. The good news is that I was able to fix over 120 bugs during the alpha. The bad news, of course, is that there were 120 bugs to find.

4) The Houses and Characters are important, but the game is about you. The primary conceit of AotSS is that it tells the story of you, a new Emperor, far from home, trying to rally your fading Empire against an existential threat. Players told us that they wanted more of that feeling in the game.

Also Star Dynasties is open for Closed Beta Sign-ups.
The closed beta starts on Thursday December 10th -- exactly one week from now. As for an exact time, we're aiming for 16:00 CET. The closed beta will run until Monday December 21st at 10:00 AM CET.

Well the kickstarter for Alliance of the Sacred Suns failed but it's not all bad news.
Alliance of the Sacred Suns can be wishlisted on Steam and will release in 2021.

I am excited to announce that Alliance of the Sacred Suns will be published by Hooded Horse Inc. with guaranteed funding of $300,000, 10x our Kickstarter goal.

Hooded Horse is also the publisher of Terra Invicta, another upcoming space strategy game, and we are over the moon about having the funding and resources to make Alliance reflect the vision we had for the project so long ago.

As we will need additional time to develop the project at our new expanded scale, we have made the difficult decision to cancel the Kickstarter campaign. With over 350 backers, many of you wanted to see Alliance succeed, and we don't want to forget about those who were willing to help in our time of need.

So all of our backers, regardless of pledge amount, will receive free access to the

Beta when it launches towards the end of 2021 as a thank you for your pledge and your support!

We are very excited and grateful for this opportunity to bring the full vision of Alliance to the gaming community. We will make you proud of your support, and you will be pleased with the world we can bring to you.
Alliance of the Sacred Suns - Dune and Foundation's series lovechild?

Interview with Steve Hawkins on Alliance of the Sacred Suns

Star Dynasties Developer Diaries Episode IV - Morality and Justice

Back
Top Bottom