Quantcast
New hard evidence of female Scandinavian warriors - Page 5 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » New hard evidence of female Scandinavian warriors

Default New hard evidence of female Scandinavian warriors

September 15th, 2017, 20:14
Originally Posted by SirJames View Post
Damn, I want a shield maiden!

Is that show worth a look?
Nope. I stopped watching during first season.
--
It's not what you say - it is the way you say it.
Lovely 2 minute video: 'Change your words, change your world'
Eye is offline

Eye

Eye's Avatar
Eye Watch

#81

Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Europe
Posts: 1,103
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

Default 

September 15th, 2017, 20:31
Originally Posted by Eye View Post
Nope. I stopped watching during first season.
It makes sense why women wouldnt like the show, the one good woman in the show seem to get royally screwed over and the rest are calculating bitches. Its not a perspective of women that normal women would like I would think.
Damian is offline

Damian

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

#82

Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,924
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

Default 

September 15th, 2017, 21:18
Originally Posted by Damian View Post
It makes sense why women wouldnt like the show, the one good woman in the show seem to get royally screwed over and the rest are calculating bitches. Its not a perspective of women that normal women would like I would think.
Ya it's definitely not for everyone. Important to note though, is this isn't Game of Thrones where whatever happens is up to the author. Obviously there's still many creative liberties taken in the show, but portrayal of female rights is probably given an advantage of what actually happened during that timeline in history, rather than the other way around.
--
_______________
Love old text based RPGs? MUDs? Try Shadows of Kalendale:
https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14727
Caddy is offline

Caddy

Caddy's Avatar
Broken Screwdriver
Original Sin Donor

#83

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 1,344
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Default 

September 15th, 2017, 21:32
I've seen the show a few times and my impression of her is this: yellow valkyrie needs food badly.
--
Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520
Lucky Day is offline

Lucky Day

Lucky Day's Avatar
Daywatch

#84

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: The Uncanny Valley
Posts: 4,122
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Default 

September 15th, 2017, 22:46
Shame this thread got derailed because it was mildly interesting before that.

I wish people would just refrain from commenting on stuff they don't care about. If it's not something you care about then there's no reason to fuck it up for everyone else.
JDR13 is online now

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#85

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 23,577
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

September 15th, 2017, 22:48
Aside from the issues of 'shield-maiden' debate and controversy, does anyone even wonder how it is that a predominant basis of archaeology is the unearthing of graves (otherwise considered sacred in numerous religions); i.e, grave robbery?

Query; do archaeologists have more nightmares than the average academic?

__
RPGFool is offline

RPGFool

RPGFool's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#86

Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 803
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Default 

September 15th, 2017, 22:55
As long as the direct descendants arent alive to sue, its ok.
As long as we keep the perpetually outraged fanatics that protest everything on behalf of what they think someone else should be outraged by, away from archeology, science in that area can progress.
Wisdom is online now

Wisdom

Wisdom's Avatar
Torch & Pitchfork Vendor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#87

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,725
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

Default 

September 16th, 2017, 00:33
Originally Posted by lostforever View Post
This site is also in question,



Ars Technica is basing their stuff from Judith Jesch (see below for more details) who is University of Nottingham professor of Viking studies and she doesn't seem convinced….

http://norseandviking.blogspot.co.uk/

Anyway the point is that, this not as clear cut as OP implied.
Well at least part of the puzzle is solved. We may not be sure if the skeletal remains were relevant to the grave, but we know they were female.
--
_______________
Love old text based RPGs? MUDs? Try Shadows of Kalendale:
https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14727
Caddy is offline

Caddy

Caddy's Avatar
Broken Screwdriver
Original Sin Donor

#88

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 1,344
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Default 

September 16th, 2017, 01:06
I think female Vikings existed, but I dont think they used swords or two handed swords. It would be one big enigma for me if they found out that female vikings used two handed swords. For one handed swords females had to wield them differently to men and have to be trained specifically for that, I dotn think they had that for Vikings. I struggle to see how a female could wield a two handed sword well, most men cannot do that(I am talking generally in terms of 99% of women wouldnt be able to use a two handed sword properly and 90% of men couldnt either I would think).

This is how women fight with one handed swords(sorry if this video doesnt show much, but I found it hard to find professional female sword fighting):
loading…

Notice how the women use momentum with their feet to get force in their swings?


This is two handheld male sword fighting:
loading…

Notice how much less foot work is used except for the thrust?
Damian is offline

Damian

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

#89

Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,924
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

Default 

September 16th, 2017, 01:41
Originally Posted by Lucky Day
The Shield Maiden, a rare, brave and fascinating woman, with the courage of a man
Originally Posted by Eye View Post
Annoying.
Now out of the town of Sle, under the captains Hetha (Heid) and Wisna, with Hakon Cut-cheek came Tummi the Sailmaker. On these captains, who had the bodies of women, nature bestowed the souls of men. Webiorg was also inspired with the same spirit, and was attended by Bo (Bui) Bramason and Brat the Jute, thirsting for war.
— Saxo Grammaticus

If that's not the source of that description I'd be surprised.
--
Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520
Lucky Day is offline

Lucky Day

Lucky Day's Avatar
Daywatch

#90

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: The Uncanny Valley
Posts: 4,122
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Default 

September 16th, 2017, 03:07
Originally Posted by Damian View Post
I think female Vikings existed, but I dont think they used swords or two handed swords. It would be one big enigma for me if they found out that female vikings used two handed swords. For one handed swords females had to wield them differently to men and have to be trained specifically for that, I dotn think they had that for Vikings. I struggle to see how a female could wield a two handed sword well, most men cannot do that(I am talking generally in terms of 99% of women wouldnt be able to use a two handed sword properly and 90% of men couldnt either I would think).
Notice how much less foot work is used except for the thrust?
Well lots to go over here. First of all vikings did use swords, but the axe was the preferred weapon. Swords were used, but they had greater weight for warrior symbolism, rather than a tool of war. Also, the swords used by vikings were usually of the short 1h variety, not too different from a roman spatha, as they heavily favored shields. The videos you posted are of the western martial arts style that came out about 500 years later, when armor technology had advanced considerably, dropping the need for shields almost completely, and the longsword had replaced all other swords because of how versatile they were as a 1h or 2h weapon (which is why they're often refered to as a hand and a half sword). Last time I discussed western martial arts fighting with both Sword Academy or Forge (who teach HEMA classes here nearby), they said there's no difference between genders for styles of fighting. There is however different ways to to use longswords, as they're are 4 basic stances and many different versions of the longsword itself. You can see plenty of videos where the longsword is used as a 1h, 2h, staff, or even pommel fighting. On top of that, during those times, advanced armor designs allowed for opponents to even grab and block blades with their hands, fight with the sword by the blade with the hilt towards their enemy, or a combination of both (one hand on the pommel, the other halfway up the blade):

loading…


In regards to 2h swords, and greatswords, these were just other labels for a longsword. The real true 2H swords were extremely specialized, or used more as a type of polearm, so in that regard, yes you probably wouldn't see any women using a true 2h weapon, and if they did, they would be using it as if it were a poleaxe.
--
_______________
Love old text based RPGs? MUDs? Try Shadows of Kalendale:
https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14727
Caddy is offline

Caddy

Caddy's Avatar
Broken Screwdriver
Original Sin Donor

#91

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 1,344
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

September 16th, 2017, 03:47
Originally Posted by Caddy View Post
Well lots to go over here. First of all vikings did use swords, but the axe was the preferred weapon. Swords were used, but they had greater weight for warrior symbolism, rather than a tool of war. Also, the swords used by vikings were usually of the short 1h variety, not too different from a roman spatha, as they heavily favored shields. The videos you posted are of the western martial arts style that came out about 500 years later, when armor technology had advanced considerably, dropping the need for shields almost completely, and the longsword had replaced all other swords because of how versatile they were as a 1h or 2h weapon (which is why they're often refered to as a hand and a half sword). Last time I discussed western martial arts fighting with both Sword Academy or Forge (who teach HEMA classes here nearby), they said there's no difference between genders for styles of fighting. There is however different ways to to use longswords, as they're are 4 basic stances and many different versions of the longsword itself. You can see plenty of videos where the longsword is used as a 1h, 2h, staff, or even pommel fighting. On top of that, during those times, advanced armor designs allowed for opponents to even grab and block blades with their hands, fight with the sword by the blade with the hilt towards their enemy, or a combination of both (one hand on the pommel, the other halfway up the blade):

loading…


In regards to 2h swords, and greatswords, these were just other labels for a longsword. The real true 2H swords were extremely specialized, or used more as a type of polearm, so in that regard, yes you probably wouldn't see any women using a true 2h weapon, and if they did, they would be using it as if it were a poleaxe.
I recognize that, but wasnt it because the swordfighting style of women was beneficial for men too to get more power that it was adopted but both sexes, but it was originally designed for women? Or am i mistaken with that?
Damian is offline

Damian

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

#92

Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,924
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

Default 

September 16th, 2017, 04:06
Originally Posted by Damian View Post
I recognize that, but wasnt it because the swordfighting style of women was beneficial for men too to get more power that it was adopted but both sexes, but it was originally designed for women? Or am i mistaken with that?
Hmm, not sure, there might be a hybrid style that combines WMA with other styles, but for HEMA a lot of it in the beginning was guessing and practicing with historical manuals. I know they've combined judo and jiu jitsu (since they are quite similar anyways) when they mix grappling with weapons, but as for what you're talking about, i've never heard of it. If you do find more info on it, i'd be interested to hear more.
--
_______________
Love old text based RPGs? MUDs? Try Shadows of Kalendale:
https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14727
Caddy is offline

Caddy

Caddy's Avatar
Broken Screwdriver
Original Sin Donor

#93

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 1,344
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Default 

September 16th, 2017, 04:30
Originally Posted by Caddy View Post
Hmm, not sure, there might be a hybrid style that combines WMA with other styles, but for HEMA a lot of it in the beginning was guessing and practicing with historical manuals. I know they've combined judo and jiu jitsu (since they are quite similar anyways) when they mix grappling with weapons, but as for what you're talking about, i've never heard of it. If you do find more info on it, i'd be interested to hear more.
I could have sworn i read or heard something about it on the internet years ago, but it is impossible to find obscure links on the internet older than 6 months old these days it seems.
Damian is offline

Damian

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

#94

Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,924
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

Default 

September 16th, 2017, 04:35
Side note. Katheryn Winnick who plays Lagertha in Vikings, is a trained and licensed bodyguard, with a 3rd degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do, and 2nd degree in Karate. Pretty close to a modern day shieldmaiden.
--
_______________
Love old text based RPGs? MUDs? Try Shadows of Kalendale:
https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14727
Caddy is offline

Caddy

Caddy's Avatar
Broken Screwdriver
Original Sin Donor

#95

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 1,344
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Default 

September 17th, 2017, 19:55
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Shame this thread got derailed because it was mildly interesting before that.
Yeah, I wished there had been more serious talk about Viking history. Seriously.
--
“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)
Alrik Fassbauer is offline

Alrik Fassbauer

Alrik Fassbauer's Avatar
TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#96

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Old Europe
Posts: 17,460
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Default 

September 17th, 2017, 21:19
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
Yeah, I wished there had been more serious talk about Viking history. Seriously.
Agreed. Subject is pretty fertile for discussion. Problem is that evidence is conflicting, Found a good discussion (Viking Warrior Women: Did ‘Shieldmaidens’ Like Lagertha Really Exist?), The authors seem to have excellent credentials (Kathleen O’Neal Gear & W. Michael Gear are Anthropologists and award winning authors who have authored and co-authored over 40 books.)

They reach a conclusion that evidence does support existence of individual female warriors. Beyond that is left for future evidence:

So did the shieldmaidens exist? When taken as a whole, the literary, historical, and archaeological evidence suggests that there were individual Viking women who cultivated warriors’ skills and, if the sagas can be believed, some achieved great renown in battle. Were there communities of Viking women warriors, as [controversial 12th century Danish historian, Saxo Grammaticus] claims? There may have been, but there just isn’t enough proof to definitively say so…yet.

However, Lagertha, you personally are still on solid ground. You go, girl.

Lagertha is btw the female warrior character from the History Channel series, Vikings.

__
RPGFool is offline

RPGFool

RPGFool's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#97

Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 803
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Default 

September 17th, 2017, 22:35
Well, what I often think is this : Females have a different body composition, and especially regarding the muscles. They are able to have a much finer movement because of that, so why not take advantage of that ? People might have thought long ago.

And, besides, I have personally seen women looking/being as high and as strong as men, women with such a psysical building would be good warriors, too. I think.

And, besides, the mother of Grendel was very good in fighting as well, it seems.

Grendel's mother, who is never given a name in the text, is the subject of ongoing controversy among medieval scholars. This is due to the ambiguity of a few words in Old English which appear in the original Beowulf manuscript. While there is consensus over the word "modor" (mother), the phrase "ides, aglæcwif" is the subject of scholarly debate.
An not uninteresting read on that topic : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grendel%27s_mother

For the Beowulf, it all boils down to a few words of which some are still not understood, and the possibility to dismiss the description oof Grendel's mother as a "monster" and instead repolace that meaning for the word as a "warrior". It is possible, although still in discussion, that Grendel's mother must be called a "warrior". Read the article from the link above on that.

It might show that women were capable of fighting during the phase when the Beowulf saga was created, too. Or else she wouldn't have been included in such a way, I think.
--
“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)
Last edited by Alrik Fassbauer; September 17th, 2017 at 22:46.
Alrik Fassbauer is offline

Alrik Fassbauer

Alrik Fassbauer's Avatar
TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#98

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Old Europe
Posts: 17,460
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » New hard evidence of female Scandinavian warriors
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:59.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright by RPGWatch