Quantcast
Vaporum, a 1st person dungeon crawler - Page 2 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Vaporum, a 1st person dungeon crawler

Default Vaporum, a 1st person dungeon crawler

September 23rd, 2017, 14:03
It sounds like you've got more options tied to one character, which makes up for not having a party. In Grimrock most non-mage characters are limited to a single attack and maybe using a consumable in combat. Mages have multiple options depending on build. I can also see how with faster speed it could keep up the challenge. Personally I prefer games with a party, but in a pure action game like this I think having one character isn't a bad thing.

forgottenlor

Font of Useless Knowledge
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
+1:

September 23rd, 2017, 15:31
Originally Posted by forgottenlor View Post
It sounds like you've got more options tied to one character, which makes up for not having a party. In Grimrock most non-mage characters are limited to a single attack and maybe using a consumable in combat. Mages have multiple options depending on build. I can also see how with faster speed it could keep up the challenge. Personally I prefer games with a party, but in a pure action game like this I think having one character isn't a bad thing.
The challenge level is high. I'm playing on Normal and there are even higher difficulties, as well as a few challenge options like Elite Mode. I'm using Elite Mode but I wouldn't recommend it to start on as you can't save during a level. The levels aren't hours and hours long but they hit you with DOOM-style ambushes, traps and deadly encounters. I've lost plenty of progress already by using Elite Mode and it's been rough. And if you set the mode ON you can't turn it off later in the game or at any time. But it does add a strong level of tension to the game which I like.

But yes, everything you said is on point. This is more about developing your single character and using more tricks during combat. You also have Area Of Effect gadgets that you'll have to position yourself properly to use, while certain enemies have the same advantages. It's pretty thrilling combat at times. This game is impressing me more than it has any business doing.

Fluent

The Town Jeweler
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Vaporum, a 1st person dungeon crawler