What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread - Page 238 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Default What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

August 16th, 2019, 15:35
Yes, there was something off about it generally, but not rotten off, just in a pacing, structure, relevance sense. It's not something I'd feel ripped off about as it's a definitely quality throughout. I, for example, would completely ignore any videos or 'news' pieces that used titles like "Once Upon A Time In Hollywood is the WORST Tarantino film EVER and here's WHY" as disingenuous clickbaiting claptrap, but something more along the lines of "What I didn't get about Once Upon A Time In Hollywood" would certainly interest me.

Can we go into spoilers yet? Oh, ok, I'll use spoiler tabs.

Spoiler – Spoiler Talk

lackblogger

retired poster
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)

August 16th, 2019, 16:01
@lackblogger:

Agree with pretty everything you said in the spoilers section. But I'm not sure I'd take the complaints as actual complaints, and I'm not saying you're complaining either, maybe more making observations.

For me it was very much an "experience" of the end of the 60s to 70s transition period, which I was not part of. I'm an 80s kid myself. So, I just let loose and enjoyed the ride.

Whenever I feel something isn't the way I feel it should be I like to ask myself why should it even be that way? Why can't it be different.

It is the kind of movie that you need to see in a certain state of mind I guess. I was very much tired when I saw it, and just let it wash over me. And very enjoyed myself. But I can see how other people can find it boring or meandering.

Only annoying thing about that night was that I saw it in a german cinema, but in the original english, and for some reason the germans seemed to find it overly funny. They pretty laughed at everything, even more serious scenes. I found that a bit weird, and sometimes annoying as I couldn't hear the lines.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

August 20th, 2019, 23:38
https://www.theguardian.com/film/201…lana-wachowski
Keanu Reeves is set to return to the world of The Matrix with a fourth chapter now officially confirmed.
Lana Wachowski, who created the franchise with sister Lilly, will also return as director along with original cast member Carrie Ann-Moss.
--
1. It's not what you say - it is the way you say it.
Lovely 2 minute video: 'Change your words, change your world'

2. Getting a YouTube video loaded and other BB codes, see this post

Eye

Eye Watch
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)

August 20th, 2019, 23:56
I can only assume he was paid a SHED load of money

lackblogger

retired poster
Original Sin 2 Donor

August 21st, 2019, 02:07
*Facepalm*

Keanu,… why bro??

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)

August 21st, 2019, 02:15

lackblogger

retired poster
Original Sin 2 Donor

August 21st, 2019, 10:21
At least it's a sequel and not yet another reboot-remake-recycle.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)

August 28th, 2019, 20:01
This looks like it will be amazing. Joaquin Phoenix is just plain amazing. You can see his acting chops even through the trailer.

loading…

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

August 28th, 2019, 20:15
Miller Crossing - oldie but goodie - but not as good as good will hunting (which I also recently viewed).

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)

August 28th, 2019, 20:31
I prefer Miller's Crossing over Good Will hunting myself, but they are both fantastic films, to be sure.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

August 29th, 2019, 05:10
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood - easily my favorite of his 9 movies. Epic payoff movie. I realize it’s long and at times confusingly slow and meandering but so was Jackie Brown which as a sum of the parts similarly a brilliant “convergence” movie. I just love his stuff and Pitt & DiCaprio were incredible
--
"For Innos!"

ToddMcF2002

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

August 29th, 2019, 05:19
Notably I saw it with my son and stepson (15 & 19) who I was really surprised to hear thought it was incredible. My son really enjoyed the insight into Hollywood life and DiCaprio’s character let alone the other stuff. Surprised a bit and impressed that the movie that complex and confusingly layered could appeal across generations. Ready for Pulp Fiction then! Royale with Cheese.
--
"For Innos!"

ToddMcF2002

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

August 30th, 2019, 22:19
Tonight, while exercising on my exercise bike I was watching "The Meg" (or "Megalodon"), a 2018 action movie about this prehistoric not-extinct-after-all huuuuge shark (3 times the length of the puny Great White), which turns out to be angry, hungry and difficult to kill. So much for the story.

Now, you might ask: Isn't this movie just a bad, hyper-inflated Jaws wannabe (ripoff)? The answer is probably yes. But I haven't seen Jaws. And besides, while on the bike, the quality of the films I watch isn't always that important. But I can say this: It's better than Sharknado. So all in all, it was a to some degree ok waste of time while exercising.

But there is one unforgivable part in this movie: The music. Not all of it, just a 1-2 minute long song. In other words, not a huge part of the soundtrack, but it's the kind of song you instantly hate, and then can't get out of your head. Now, I usually try to avoid hurting people, so I'll give the link as a spoiler. You have been warned.

pibbur who will need to spend a lot of time with the new Tool album, to regain his sanity.
--
d++a63e++TU4567'!S'!89!A!WM!LuC++++u+++uF+++nR——nS ++++wC—-o++++wS——uLB++++

1. The cat is alive! And pissed!!!
2. It's been 82 years. The cat is dead, and the stench is unbearable!!!

pibbur who

Number 14
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)

August 31st, 2019, 00:35
Ah the Meg - i was gonna skip it but someone talked me into seeing it - was actually quite enjoyable.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)

August 31st, 2019, 11:34
I found it a bit too predictable, among other things. I don't think I would have sat down to watch it, but as I said, it was OK for exercise entartainment.

Today I think I'll watch "A quiet place". I've already seen "The Silence", which again was just OK to watch on the bike. I assume the quiet place will be an improvement.

pibbur who admits that in general he has somewhat primitive tastes when it comes to movies as he prefers effects over story.
--
d++a63e++TU4567'!S'!89!A!WM!LuC++++u+++uF+++nR——nS ++++wC—-o++++wS——uLB++++

1. The cat is alive! And pissed!!!
2. It's been 82 years. The cat is dead, and the stench is unbearable!!!

pibbur who

Number 14
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)

August 31st, 2019, 12:02
Originally Posted by pibbur who View Post
Today I think I'll watch "A quiet place". I've already seen "The Silence", which again was just OK to watch on the bike. I assume the quiet place will be an improvement.
I would rate A Quiet Place as a good, if flawed, film. In a different category to that other stuff, IMO. Almost a bit of a shame to watch it on the bike, perhaps. Good monster effects.
--
"Where can the horizon lie, when a nation hides its organic minds in a cellar, dark and grim? They must be very dim." David Bowie, All the Madmen (1970)

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)

August 31st, 2019, 15:35
I rewatched the Badlands last night, which is a film from the early seventies staring Sheen and Spacek. It starts off a bit slow, but then gets a bit more intriguing as the crimes start ramping up. I remember the first time I saw this movie it was a double feature with Mean Streets, and I pretty much enjoyed them both equally.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

September 2nd, 2019, 23:26
Just saw The Dead Don't Die. What a bizarre little movie this was. I think I liked it overall. It was kind of laid back, black comedy sometimes, but left a sour taste in my mouth in the end. Had a kind of a depressing ending. But it was cute overall.

The only thing I really didn't like was the 4th wall breaking scenes. They seemed kind of useless and seemed to have only been added to add to the weirdness/confusion. I could've done without them.

But I'm really surprised at the amazing cast it had, for the little insignificant movie it was. Really surprising. I wonder how they managed that. Did they all do the director a favor, because I can't imagine this movie having a huge budget, or being able to make that money back, if it did have a big budget.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

September 2nd, 2019, 23:49
Originally Posted by danutz_plusplus View Post
But I'm really surprised at the amazing cast it had, for the little insignificant movie it was. Really surprising. I wonder how they managed that. Did they all do the director a favor, because I can't imagine this movie having a huge budget, or being able to make that money back, if it did have a big budget.
Same director as Coffee and Cigarettes (2003), which also had cast members: Bill Murray, Tom Waits, Iggy Pop, Steve Buschemi, and etc (?).

It got pretty universally panned and none of the critics I read/watched liked it, it has a user score of 5.9 on IMDB, 54% reviewer score on Rotten Tomatoes and 33% user score on Rotten Tomatoes. Most of the complaints were about the 4th wall breaking, it being too clever but not really that clever deep down, and the general pointlessness of it when there are so many better comedy zombie films you could be watching instead.

lackblogger

retired poster
Original Sin 2 Donor

September 5th, 2019, 20:49
Farmageddon
A New Shaun The Sheep movie will be arriving this month.
--
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread