Disco Elysium - Final Cut available on March 30

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The Final Cut of Disco Elysium will be available on March 30:

Disco Elysium - The Final Cut - Release Date!

Disco Elysium - The Final Cut will be available on March 30th.

We are extremely pleased to announce that the release date for Disco Elysium - The Final Cut is March 30th, 2021. That's right, it's almost time for the show, people. Let the countdown begin!

If you already own Disco Elysium then The Final Cut will be available to you as a free upgrade. Those who purchase the game after The Final Cut goes live will get to experience it all from their first playthrough at no extra cost.

So, where does this announcement leave us? Well, it means there are now only 13 days left until you can play the new and wonderful experience we've been working hard on for you all. We've talked about a few of the features that we're adding but there are plenty more we haven't even mentioned...

We won't spoil them here, but let's just say one new feature might have you reconsider if teleportation really is possible. On a less mysterious note, we want to give a shout out to our animator, Eduardo Rubio, who has added a ton of new animations for you all to enjoy. As we've said before, we also have full English voiceover, new political vision quests, and new characters for you to meet.

We know the community is eager to play Disco Elysium - The Final Cut and want to thank you all for your patience as we put it all together. It's proven a hell of a beast to box up and get into shape, but we're so proud of how it's all come together and can't wait for you to love it.

Disco Elysium - The Final Cut is the definitive edition of the groundbreaking role playing game.
Pursue your political dreams in new vision quests, meet and question more of the city's locals, and explore a whole extra area. Also enjoy full voice-acting, controller support, and expanded language options.

Get even more out of this award-winning open world.
You're a detective with a unique skill system at your disposal and a whole city block to carve your path across. Interrogate unforgettable characters, crack murders, or take bribes. Become a hero or an absolute disaster of a human being.

THE FINAL CUT AT A GLANCE:

• Free upgrade for all players
  • New Political Vision Quests
  • New Characters
  • New Clothes
  • New Cutscenes
  • Full English Voice Over
  • Full Controller Support
  • + more!
Thanks Redglyph!

More information.

I tried to get into this a couple of times before it finally stuck. Then I played for maybe 10 hours and was really getting invested when the story broke that the Final Cut was coming soon, so I've been patiently waiting for this to be released to start over and finally play through it for real.

I thoroughly enjoyed the game. It was the equivalent of a great "page-turner" (back when we actually had, you know, pages that turned). I was always eager for the next big revelation, the next bit of lore, the next new character. Then I got to the end. I don't suppose they changed the ending in the Final Cut?

They had me at "free upgrade" for owners of the game.
That's nice, given the success I imagine they could have made that a DLC for previous owners.

I'm not entirely convinced with their merchandise however. I mean, vinyls at 130$, or this... where do you hide that after buying it?

image.png

Not sure about this one. I thought I read there were political/social positions being pushed in the narrative?

Not sure about this one. I thought I read there were political/social positions being pushed in the narrative?

Almost everything in life is political. Why be afraid of political stances. Better to understand and be aware of them, than pretend they're not there.

I just love it when developers tackle subjects like colonialism, nationalism and still want to pretend their games are not poltical, in order to be able to both take a political stance, but still try and sell to the most amount of people.

On topic, from the around 5h of Disco Elysium I played, I liked their role-playing options for taking poltiical stances. I even wish more games would embrace this, like they have.

Almost everything in life is political. Why be afraid of political stances. Better to understand and be aware of them, than pretend they're not there.

I just love it when developers tackle subjects like colonialism, nationalism and still want to pretend their games are not poltical, in order to be able to both take a political stance, but still try and sell to the most amount of people.

On topic, from the around 5h of Disco Elysium I played, I liked their role-playing options for taking poltiical stances. I even wish more games would embrace this, like they have.
I think the problem is not so much having to take a political stance, as having to do it in a game, when you usually play to take your mind off those considerations.

I think the problem is not so much having to take a political stance, as having to do it in a game, when you usually play to take your mind off those considerations.

Yeah, I can understand wanting to game mindlessly (and I don't mean that in negative sense, at all) without wanting to consider serious subject matters. But if I want that I'll play DOOM or something, where that's expected. (even though there's plenty of political themes there also, if you really want to dig deep :D)

But in games that invest a lot of time in world building, geo-political matters and the human condition, and this is almost guaranteed in rpgs which want to build fictional worlds that usually mimic our own in some way, you can't escape that. That's why it felt a bit weird to complain that an rpg like Disco Elysium tackles those matters. It felt to me like complaining that water is wet.

It felt to me like complaining that water is wet.

I would describe it in different way - its more like eating a food you would enjoy if it wasn't for a certain ingredient you don't like being included (e.g. I love cakes but I dislike lamington because of coconut flakes), so it really depends on whether the stuff you don't like is included in tolerable level for you or you decided to tolerate the bits you don't like because the other parts are so good.

I don't like political stuff but I ended up enjoying Disco Elysium quite a lot. I've written a short impression on it here if anyone is interested in reading:

https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1061630983&postcount=3425

It's exactly how I see it :D
Yeah, I can understand wanting to game mindlessly (and I don't mean that in negative sense, at all) without wanting to consider serious subject matters.
I didn't necessarily mean play mindlessly, or indeed I'd play Doom(*) and wouldn't be here. No, it's just a question of balance. I'm not complaining water is wet when I take a shower, it doesn't mean I'd enjoy being drowned in a pool.

Here I'm expecting a detective game, not a political lecture. I haven't played the game yet, I'm not saying that's how it is, but from @purpleblob;'s impression and seeing they'll add even more of that in their Final Cut, I'm already bracing myself ;) If that's just occasional I don't mind of course.

(*) wait, hadn't you just posted something about Doom Eternal BTW? :p

Its not so much that I want a mindless game either. I just don't want to play a game that preaches one particular political\social point. If the game has balance and presents multiple sides to issues I am good with that. Most of the western world is dominated by left wing anti-western sentiments in gaming and media that only presents one point of view. If it preaches to me about that, no thanks.

I didn't notice anything like that when I played, but I also didn't play it very long. What really annoyed me was how slow everything is. I was hoping this new version would include an option tp speed up character animations and the ability to edge pan the camera.

Its not so much that I want a mindless game either. I just don't want to play a game that preaches one particular political\social point. If the game has balance and presents multiple sides to issues I am good with that. Most of the western world is dominated by left wing anti-western sentiments in gaming and media that only presents one point of view. If it preaches to me about that, no thanks.

Unfortunately, it's only social left wing ideas. And fake ones at that. Because they don't tend to cost money to support. Economically, it's all right wing. Rugged individualism, resource hoarding, hero worship, greed, social status acquisition, classism, etc etc.

Here is a more detailed article on what is new in Final Cut. It's Gamespot, so FWIW.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/d...-black-and-white-movie-to-color/1100-6489042/

Taken together, the improvements and additions to Disco Elysium in The Final Cut bring the game in line with ZA/UM's original vision--not the pie-in-the-sky conception with a sprawling city and real-time tactical combat, but the involved, novelistic version it spawned, and which Disco Elysium came close to hitting in 2019.

That's why ZA/UM poured so many resources into fully voicing the game, Ashilevi said: The developer wanted to create the best version of Disco Elysium it could, and make it as approachable as possible for players, especially if they were playing it on their couch.

"We wanted the existing game to shine in its full glory, rather than rush off and go wild with expansions," he said. "Disco Elysium was already complete, all that was missing was the political quests branch, which is now added to the story. Thus it made complete sense for us to pour most of our resources into the aspect of the game that still had the greatest amount of untapped potential--voice over. Up until now the game mainly stood on the shoulders of two giants: the writing and the art direction. Now we finally have that third pillar built in the form of full voice-over, which not only complements but also elevates the strongest features of the writing and artistic style of the game. With those three pillars supporting the experience of moving through the story the player finally gets fully immersed in the game the way we wanted them to be immersed in it in the first place."

Back
Top Bottom