Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Early Reviews Roundup

Played just over 8 hours (according to Steam; didn't feel that long) still in Prologue with first character (I'm slow and thorough, no door goes unopened). Main issue with TB I've had is that sometimes switching weapons at start of a round loses main action while at other times it doesn't. Switching is supposed to affect movement, not main action. Quite annoying to lose a turn. Still loving the game so far.

Just started playing maybe a few hours in after the prologue.

My initial thoughts were to many options but they streamlined character generation. The engine has also been improved since Kingmaker it feels faster, and more intuitive to use.

I'm not a fan of the rotating camera though as it gets annoying having to rotate all the time because of blocked camera angles. That's just my personal opinion though.

Surprise most of all is not a single bug yet but I'm not far into the game.:biggrin:

PS: I have no interest in TB combat either.:p

It's great to hear from the reviews and from our community that this game is great. PF:KM is probably my favorite game so far, and I am eager to play WotR, but I have to complete Solasta first. I think this may be a good thing though, because it seems that there are still bugs to iron out.

Game received a small patch on GOG. Don't know what was fixed it's now 1.0.0s.

I'm playing turn based combat guys, not seeing any bugs so far.

I've played it turn based through most of the Maze and there are definitely bugs.

One I've seen multiple times is it will be a character's turn and suddenly someone will execute an opportunity attack on an enemy whose turn it was not. It's like the game knows that enemy is going to move on their upcoming turn, and it sticks the OA in where it doesn't belong.

Probably more of a warning for people who are new to Pathfinder or D&D in general, or are into casual gaming. People who know those systems will take that as a big plus :)

Me, I'm probably in-between. As much as I love depth, I vastly prefer depth in immersion and story over depth of mechanics or of graphic quality.

My minor Dyslalculia hinders me to understand most math-based mechanics, which is quite a hindrance for to enjoy a game, because almost all RPGs based on pen & paper rule sets are mostly math based.

I'm always surprised - I still am - that no-one even tries to explain math based mechanics with words !
It's almost as if math people were carrying an inherent hate of words with them, cynically put.

Another thing that does bother me is the quest overload. Right after the prologue your bombarded with quests from different NPc's. It was the same in Kingmaker also.

Makes you wish you can say wait a damn minute let me finish another quest first.

Another thing that does bother me is the quest overload. Right after the prologue your bombarded with quests from different NPc's. It was the same in Kingmaker also.

Makes you wish you can say wait a damn minute let me finish another quest first.
Isn't that the same in most games? :)

You can focus on the quests that have a red hourglass, those must be completed before the end of the chapter (pay attention to the Storyteller's quests once you talk with him, though, there are items you need to find before the end of the chapter too).

I'm usually starting with everything I can find in the Defender's Heart, then with Woljif's companion quests because they're close by and quite easy, they bring some XP and cash in return and mostly, they're fun. :)

After that, just pick them one by one and it'll unfold naturally. There's a bigger place at the center of it all, the Market Square, where most of the combats are located, I'd usually go there next thing, with a few health & buff potions. You have to find a passage to the other side of the city walls anyway. Take the time to explore this place thoroughly.

Isn't that the same in most games? :)
No I've not played any RPG like the last two Pathfinder games. Seems the developer loves to shove quests at you. All that leads is to confusion on what to complete first.

Sure they color code them but the quantity doesn't help.:)

Well, I'm still in the Prologue ... I wonder when it may end ...
The game itself acts a little bit slow on my PC, but plays otherwise fine so far.

I'm not buying the game until I finish the old one, which might be a while.
How buggy is this one? I can't believe the large number of bugs still present in the predecessor, some of which are relatively recent - they whack one down and another few pop up.

How buggy is this one? I can't believe the large number of bugs still present in the predecessor, some of which are relatively recent - they whack one down and another few pop up.

For me it is surprisingly unbuggy. Although, I sometimes have trouble with my keyboard stopping to work or doing weird stuff (like locked direction keys). The first one had similar problems, though not for me.
There are also some seemingly "spontaneous" attacks of opportunity from my guys in turn-based mode.
Some weapon effects apparently do not work (i.e. frightening effect from March of Terror).

Other than that, nothing game-breaking so far.

Same as Darkheart for me. Some minor niggles but no crashes and no huge, glaring issues so far, although I have only just finished the prologue and arrived in Act I.

I have to admit that I have sobered up a little after my initial enthusiasm. The best thing -so far and by far- was the character creation with all those many choices and options. But the actual game was only OK up to this point.

I'm not a huge fan of yet another RPG that has a demon invasion as a premise. That's probably the most unoriginal setting by now. At least I can't think of anything more unoriginal and overdone ad nauseam. The prospect of pushing back yet another billion demons is really not very motivating to me personally. YMMV.

The characters/companions are also only OK up to this point but it's early game so maybe the more interesting ones will show up later. The opening dungeon took a few hours (five, six?) in turn-based mode.
There are many, many fights and they last quite long because it's mostly *miss* .. *miss* .. *miss* .. *miss* .. *miss* .. you hit for 2hp .. *miss* .. *miss* .. *miss* .. you hit for 1hp .. and so on :biggrin: .

As always with RNG, you can't shake the feeling that the game may be "cheating" at times because it is almost unreal how unlucky you are sometimes. I played this initial run on 'Core' difficulty with a Ranger/Nomad.

For my real, full playthrough I will -as always- wait for the complete package with all DLCs and patches on board. I haven't finished Kingmaker yet and I intend to do so in the near future hopefully. The Ranger/Nomad was not too interesting so I will probably switch to a magic wielding class when playing the game for real because that should spice up things considerably. Until then I'll keep chipping away at my humongous backlog (including Kingmaker)…

Game received a small patch on GOG. Don't know what was fixed it's now 1.0.0s.

I think that's Mac specific fix:

We've just released a hot fix for the Mac version and for Epic Games Store digital rewards. The update is available in Steam, GOG and EGS.

Update 1.0.0u

- On Mac: right-click mouse button didn't work in the inventory - fixed.
- On Mac: trails (dotted lines) didn't show in turn-based mode - fixed.
- In Epic Games Store: Kickstarter rewards weren't available - fixed.

No I've not played any RPG like the last two Pathfinder games. Seems the developer loves to shove quests at you. All that leads is to confusion on what to complete first.
OK, I was used to having huge journals filled with quests in TES series, or in PoE (that neither of us has finished :D). Encased may be a little like that too.

TBH I often have the same feeling with a new RPG. It gets easier :)

Well I found a bug :)

My character disappeared
That's convenient :p The ultimate rogue. At least you didn't fall through the floor, this still happens in the maze, sometimes.

I'm not a huge fan of yet another RPG that has a demon invasion as a premise.
[...]
As always with RNG, you can't shake the feeling that the game may be "cheating" at times because it is almost unreal how unlucky you are sometimes. I played this initial run on 'Core' difficulty with a Ranger/Nomad.
Well, the setting was made very clear from the start, so you must have expected it. :)

They chose that adventure path because the story was adaptable to a video game, was interesting and maybe not as straightforward as one can see at the beginning. And because of the extra dimension given by the mythic paths. I'd say you should be patient, more is to come.

As for the RNG, it's the D&D mechanics legacy, it's the same as any other classic RPG. Yes... sometimes I wish there was a file log, so I could verify that it's not cheating :lol:

good god that first home base defense fight goes on FOREVER
I hated it the first time.

Now I often keep some distance so that the enemies go for the soldiers and leave my party alone the time to get back health and buffs, then I take the enemies in sandwich between the soldiers and my party.

Back
Top Bottom