Outward very early impressions

It is interesting to compare Fluent's play with mine. I played 51 hours all in the first area and Fluent "finished" his play in 54. This would be a completionist vs a storyline gamer. Not to say either of us can't be both! So, one map if you go everywhere and touch everything is equal to a whole game's worth of play if you just follow the story. This is cool to me. However, Outward isn't very content dense compared to most open world type games. Gothic, Skyrim and ACO are all WAY more content, but they're also not an indie team of 9 dudes.

Yeah, I missed literal map-fulls of stuff. I thought eventually the story would lead to some of these areas, but nope. It's got a ton of side content not to mention the 3 unique storylines - there's a lot of content here.

I bought and I kind of like it. It is kind of a weird game though. I am taking my time and it reminds of old games and a little bit of early mmos where you can run to zone to escape. It has a lot of character. I took on some dude with a big axe and barely beat him and got his axe to the zone before his buddy chased me down. It helped payoff my debt early.

I wasn't going to use the debug thing but after about 6 hours I got stuck and I was not about to start over. It does give you a bunch of saved games to revert to but I am going to try not to be tempted by all the other cheat "goodies"

Some mods popped on nexus, including player map marker and configurable stuff for the difficulty, including running speed. Guess in a few months, there will be some nice mods.

Some mods popped on nexus, including player map marker and configurable stuff for the difficulty, including running speed. Guess in a few months, there will be some nice mods.

That's my hope too @porcozaur;. Map Marker will change the game for me and so will fast travel. Since it's in debug mode, somebody should be able to add it and other convenience items eventually.

Personally, I like having a map marker. Call me lazy I guess. But I did all the 80s, 90s, & 2000s cRPGs so I feel just fine being lazy and wanting a map marker.

I don't really need map markers, since the viewing range and the landscape make navigation easy enough (unlike in 80s or 90s CRPGs, where graphics made navigation much more difficult). But more movement speed… mhm.

Just go find a game which already does the things you like?

Is there really that big a shortage of games where you wander round picking up crafting materials, talk to quest-givers & sometimes fight a thing?

I'm just wondering how you are supposed to collect any loot at all, once you wear heavy armor.

Back
Top Bottom