Deus EX: Mankind Divided new gameplay footage

I hope it's true. Square Enix has to get the message. Microtransactions pay2win garbage is not acceptable in fullpriced game.

Sales are pretty clearly in the poor to awful range (Steamspy reports sales that currently stand at about 300,000 and have virtually stopped growing; along with consistently decreasing peak daily concurrent players). Assuming greater sales on PS4 and less on XBox (per the reported trends in Square Enix sales), it's hard to come up with more than 1 million total sales (probably less).

But will SqE attribute that to microtransactions? Probably not since that would mean they made mistakes.

An alternative explanation might go something like this --

The Facts

We know that Denuvo drastically increased sales by stopping piracy causing all potential pirates to buy the game.

Even though there are many reported performance issues, we know for certain the game has no performance problems; so performance could not have hurt sales.

Low total hours of gameplay is also not an issue because some people claim more hours of gameplay meaning lots of people are rushing through the game for some reason.

Microtransactions are not forced on players. In fact, very few players are using microtransactions. Hence microtransactions aren't a problem despite a vocal minority of non-owners claiming otherwise.

Incomplete plot and non-memorable characters not an issue -- We wrote story and characters and know they are good.

Conclusion
The Deus Ex market has changed. The only way to make money on this franchise is to go whole-hog on microtransactions for next game in series. Charge slightly less for game ($50 instead of $60.) Then charge for all weapon upgrades, praxis kits and upgrades of any sort. We will definitely make a huge profit!

:)
__

Sales are pretty clearly in the poor to awful range (Steamspy reports sales that currently stand at about 300,000 and have virtually stopped growing; along with consistently decreasing peak daily concurrent players). Assuming greater sales on PS4 and less on XBox (per the reported trends in Square Enix sales), it's hard to come up with more than 1 million total sales (probably less).

But will SqE attribute that to microtransactions? Probably not since that would mean they made mistakes.

An alternative explanation might go something like this --

The Facts

We know that Denuvo drastically increased sales by stopping piracy causing all potential pirates to buy the game.

Even though there are many reported performance issues, we know for certain the game has no performance problems; so performance could not have hurt sales.

Low total hours of gameplay is also not an issue because some people claim more hours of gameplay meaning lots of people are rushing through the game for some reason.

Microtransactions are not forced on players. In fact, very few players are using microtransactions. Hence microtransactions aren't a problem despite a vocal minority of non-owners claiming otherwise.

Incomplete plot and non-memorable characters not an issue -- We wrote story and characters and know they are good.

Conclusion
The Deus Ex market has changed. The only way to make money on this franchise is to go whole-hog on microtransactions for next game in series. Charge slightly less for game ($50 instead of $60.) Then charge for all weapon upgrades, praxis kits and upgrades of any sort. We will definitely make a huge profit!

:)
__

Don't forget, we'll have to switch to mobile.

300k on pc in 2 weeks might not be so awful; that "mixed" at steam reviews probably put on hold quite alot of people too
I enjoyed the game alot but left a negative review due to selling cheats :S

Last edited by a moderator:
Denuvo vs. RPGfool... 0:1!
Seriously, did they release anything on less piracy, more sales coming from it? I don't remember any publisher bragging about it and we should have some clear numbers by now.

I don't give much credence to the claim that Denuvo is responsible for performance issues in DX:MD. Why would a DRM cause such supposed issues only in some games but not in others?

My concern is the potential for the combination of Denuvo and microtransactions to be used to interfere with game experiences, in future. Denuvo has been very successful at slowing down piracy, but, as they themselves point out, it's not actually DRM - it's an anti-tamper system for the game executable. It works to stop the circumvention of other DRM systems, but it can be used to lock down the game experience in other ways, too.

The problem with this, is that it can also stop us tinkering with our games as we wish to. It would, for example, prevent many of the low-level mods and important fixes that have transformed the Bethesda games - no more memory fixes or ENBs.

If publishers can construct games in such a way as to encourage us to make microtransactions, there's a temptation to start messing with the gameplay to increase our incentive. Not only that, but if they can monetize and lock down cheats, like adding in-game money and XP, they will prevent us from making those tweaks ourselves. Many times I've made tweaks to games - disabling stamina drain when running, adding back money, XP and items after a corrupted save, editing character stats to change my build, an so on. I'd have probably shelved those games if couldn't have done those things.

I could go on, but I'm sure you get the point.

I accept what people are saying about the microtransactions being a non-issue to the enjoyment of this particular game, but I think it would be no bad thing if the publishers get the message that their customers don't appreciate them heading in that direction.

I don't give much credence to the claim that Denuvo is responsible for performance issues in DX:MD. Why would a DRM cause such supposed issues only in some games but not in others?

I doubt that Denuvo is causing general performance problems, but in theory it's possible. Essentially, when they code the game, they call certain processes to run through the Denuvo VM. This will massively slow that process down, so, unless you're crazy, you only run those things through Denuvo that are not performance sensitive - things like loading screens, menus, background calculations, etc. It would be possible to kill the performance of a game using Denuvo, but only if it's implemented incompetently.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom