Beamdog - Hiring for D&D Project

Aubrielle

Noveliste
David Gaider announced on Twitter that he wants to hire staff to work on an unannounced D&D CRPG.

Thanks to a tweet by David Gaider, we now know that Beamdog is actively recruiting for "an upcoming (and currently unannounced) CRPG in the Dungeons & Dragons universe." Does that mean we're in store for an enhanced edition of Icewind Dale II or Planescape: Torment, a Baldur's Gate III, or an entirely new game that will kick off an original D&D series? We'll just have to wait to find out, I suppose.

In case you're interested in applying, the newly posted job announcement is for a narrative designer who will be responsible for writing quests, dialogue, and the like:

Ever considered taking your love of roleplaying games to the next level and actually becoming part of their creation? Do you dream about constructing epic quests for the players of your tabletop game? Would the idea of being part of the future of Dungeons & Dragons on computers appeal to you? Beamdog, the game developers behind Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition, Baldur’s Gate II: Enhanced Edition, and Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition—as well as the newly released Baldur’s Gate: Siege of Dragonspear—are looking for a Narrative Designer to join their creative team.

The Narrative Designer will be responsible for working with the rest of the Beamdog creative team to craft an upcoming (and currently unannounced) CRPG in the Dungeons & Dragons universe. This means coming up with unique and exciting quest designs, creating brand new characters the fans will love, and being responsible for their writing and dialogue through the entire iterative and editing process all the way to release.

It's hard work, as Beamdog’s games require a great deal of writing as well as flexibility on the part of the narrative designers, but it makes for a new challenge every day. There is no other career quite like it!
More information.

I guess this means the legal aspects are all settled? Otherwise I suppose it will need to continue with the Baldur's Gate title and AD&D ruleset (or maybe 3e per IWD2).

Bring back 2nd edition! :lol:

(I know it will likely never happen) :)

This sounds like my dream job. I wish English was my first language.

After your comments in the thread about dumbed down games, this is your dream job?

I am sure most of here are hoping for a very hard well thought out game.

Actually, I think 3rd Edition, or whatever used in NWN, might be my favorite.

That one adds a bunch of skills or talents or whatever that you can level up to the game. Spot, Search, Tumble, etc.

That one adds a bunch of skills or talents or whatever that you can level up to the game. Spot, Search, Tumble, etc.

I've always thought 2nd Edition had more soul, more flavor, more richness...but the ruleset in 3rd is cleaner, smoother, and faster. That's just my personal opinion. :)

If I could take the Talents (I think they are called) from 3rd edition and put them into 2nd Edition, I think that's what I would do. :)

I'm like, the only person I know that actually likes THAC0, haha.

I'm good with either 2nd or 3rd ruleset, I'm just hoping it is turn based and not some click-fest thingie. Don't destroy my dreams Beamdog, you guys are only eleven blocks away from me!

Well, they might welcome assistance with localization. I've seen game companies specifically mention this for non-native English speakers.

If I was in a position to pick up and move to Edmonton...

Last edited:

Aye. After playing 3.5e, I have a difficult time going back to AD&D. The combination of skills, feats, and prestige classes, as well as the much cleaner game mechanics, was a huge step in the right direction. I'd really like to see a BG2-style epic campaign that uses a 3.5e or Pathfinder ruleset.

After your comments in the thread about dumbed down games, this is your dream job?
What has narrative design to do with the battle system? That thread only discussed the later.

Well, they might welcome assistance with localization. I've seen game companies specifically mention this for non-native English speakers.
They will most likely leave localization to some translation agency, as usual.

I tried to take part once in localization of Mass Effect. And I didn't like it and eventually decided not to participate. The way they (translation agencies here) do it was just blind. They give you the text, and you're supposed to translate, even though in some cases you need to know the context to translate the text correctly. Back then I naturally didn't play Mass Effect yet, so I had no context.

I don't really know if that's how localizations are always done, but in that case I have to wonder how translators manage to translate well. Luck?

My only problem with 3/3.5 was the potential for cheesiness. There's always the minmaxer player that makes a character that starts as a cleric for 1 level, then 2 of ranger, then 1 of wizard, then 3 of the prestige class 'dragon ninja' then 2 levels of 'samurai vampire' and ended up being more powerful than the rest of the party combined.
I liked the simplicity of 2nd ed. but I realize for the warrior type players it could be monotonous, with each new level just bringing more hit points (to fight against enemies that do more damage) and better chance to hit (to fight against enemies with increased armor) so they didn't really evolve that much.

I was happy with both 2nd ed and 3/3.5 ed... anything resembles either of those will be fun to play! :)

I don't really know if that's how localizations are always done, but in that case I have to wonder how translators manage to translate well. Luck?
I imagine the stakes are low, like the pay. Not much is expected for a localization and that's exactly what's delivered.

As long as it's not the weird hybrid used in IWD2..

Back
Top Bottom