Bethesda Softworks - Nexus prevents Mod Theft

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
PCGamesN reports that the owner of the largest mod site for Skyrim and Fallout mods Nexus tries to prevent mod stealing:

After more than a month of inaction on Bethesda's part, the owner of the largest site for Skyrim and Fallout mods has taken matters into their own hands to prevent people stealing user creations.

[...]

"There is no reason consoles should not be allowed to have mods, provided the PC modding community is appropriately protected and not dumbed down or negatively affected in any way," Scott wrote in a 5,100-word epic. "However, in order for the mods to be available on consoles, PC mod authors would need to upload their mods, as a separate entry, to Bethesda.net’s system."

This lead, unsurprisingly, to people taking the best mods from Nexus and ripping them wholesale onto Bethesda's system with no attribution, often taunting the original creator in the description.

This is soul crushing for mod authors. To see their hard work being taken, without their permission, often times by people actually openly goading, trolling and mocking the mod authors about the theft and that nothing was being done about it," Scott says. "It became clear, early on, that Bethesda had not planned for the eventuality of mods being stolen. They had no clear moderation system in place. No way of quickly dealing with the issue or indeed any sort of decent reporting system so that users could report stolen mods in detail to the (seemingly non-existent) moderation team."

[...]

Rather than wait for Bethesda to improve their response times to reporting mods stolen or implement an effective moderation strategy, Scott has decided to add an extra permissions system to his own site so stolen mods are easier to see.

"We already have an extensive permissions system for mods, but today we’ve released an addition to that system for console modding," he says. "You can now choose from a set of options in our Fallout 4 section to express your wishes. These are:

• I have uploaded my mods to Bethesda.net and they are available for console users.
  • I have not uploaded my mods to Bethesda.net for console users yet, but I will at some point.
  • My mods will not be available on Bethesda.net for console users.
  • My mods won’t work on consoles or would not be acceptable on Bethesda.net according to their rules.
  • I give my permission for someone else to port my mods to console and for it to be uploaded to Bethesda.net by someone else. Please credit me, however."
[...]
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

Wish the gaming community wasn't such an embarrassment at times.

Sadly, the modding realm has always been infested by entitled douchebags of the highest order. Don't get into modding unless you have a thick skin, and an ability to attune yourself only to the positive people.

The title is misleading. Nexus does *not* prevent entitled assholes from uploading mod authors' work elsewhere - it simply sets up explicit permission fields for the author to state how they wish to deal with Beth.Net. The moderation of such still falls within the confines of Bethesda apathy.

ie., it does not prevent gems such as this:

File hidden
This file has currently been set to hidden by the author of the file. You cannot look at this file page or download any files relating to this file until the author makes the file visible to the public again.

The reason given by the author is: The Seasons Project mods have been hidden for now because thieves keep taking the files, packaging them horribly, and uploading them without permission to Bethesda.net. Because these mods were made for PC, and are not optimized or packaged correctly for consoles, the stolen mods end up breaking console player games. So everyone suffers, the modders who have their work stolen, and the console users who download those mods without knowing they are stolen and may break their games. Currently the most recent stolen files from Seasons, including even a screenshot stolen from my mod page, is still up after four days of endless complaints, flagged reports, and even a DMCA filing. Until Bethesda can implement security measures to better protect the creations of modders, my files will stay hidden. And because of this blatant thievery and disregard for modders by so many people, I have no desire now to port them to console in the future, although I reserve the right to change my mind if Bethesda figures out how to fix this whole nasty mess.

Last edited:
Wait, so Bethesda put out an interesting release with intriguing systems, that suffers from some severe flaws and odd design decisions that have to be corrected later by the player base? Stop the presses!

Yeah, mind boggles innit?

They're probably planning Bethesda.Net Remastered to correct this issue. :p

Wait, so Bethesda put out an interesting release with intriguing systems, that suffers from some severe flaws and odd design decisions that have to be corrected later by the player base? Stop the presses!

that have to be corrected later by the player base?

Good morning my friend, its how Bethodd makes their half-assed products anyway

I'm not usually into bashing game companies, but seem odd that Bethesda hadn't anticipated that this might happen, and consider how they might try to handle it. By offering such a poorly regulated environment, they are just acting as enablers for piracy (DarkOne points out that not all mods are created using the GECK).

I'm not sure what the solution might be however. The only way to really regulate mods would be to manually vet each one before it's made available, but since this would require manpower and money, and since Bethesda aren't charging for the service, I doubt this is realistically going to happen. A better solution might have been to work with, and better support the modding community, rather than trying to "take ownership" of modding itself (with only a half-arsed idea of how that might actually work in practice.)

Hopefully, those who are abusing the system will get their steam accounts banned, and things will settle down a little. It wouldn't surprise me if Bethesda just cancel the whole thing, however; it might just be for the best.

I'm not usually into bashing game companies, but seem odd that Bethesda hadn't anticipated that this might happen, and consider how they might try to handle it. By offering such a poorly regulated environment, they are just acting as enablers for piracy (DarkOne points out that not all mods are created using the GECK).
Nothing odd about it. That's Beth's Standard Code of Practice.

I'm not sure what the solution might be however. The only way to really regulate mods would be to manually vet each one before it's made available, but since this would require manpower and money, and since Bethesda aren't charging for the service, I doubt this is realistically going to happen. A better solution might have been to work with, and better support the modding community, rather than trying to "take ownership" of modding itself (with only a half-arsed idea of how that might actually work in practice.)
Yup, allow modders themselves to handle it. It's the only way that it will ever work.

In fact, as written some time ago, Bethesda follow the desire of their customers. Players who want to make money off modding would prefer by far a system of co optation (cronyism)
It would have made no sense for Bethesda to come up with an extensive system of regulation that goes against players' desire.

For all you said, then Bethesda is releasing a new game, right ?!?!? :p

By offering such a poorly regulated environment, they are just acting as enablers for piracy (DarkOne points out that not all mods are created using the GECK).

Naively perhaps, Bethesda may have assumed some gamers wouldn't be the douchebags they keep proving they are.

Naively perhaps, Bethesda may have assumed some gamers wouldn't be the douchebags they keep proving they are.
And why would Beth assume that? Exactly the same stuff started happening when they tried paid mods for Skyrim. What could possibly make them think that it will be different this time?

Yeah, Bethesda's role in this is really the big news, as far as I'm concerned. It was VERY predictable that this would happen. (Heck, it happens just within Nexus when people include other people's mods in their own creations. I think some have even been accidental!)

You must have a moderation system available. If you can't afford to do that then you can't afford to have this feature. Period.

If Bethesda doesn't get this cleaned up and FAST then they are going to have a big, fat mod boycott on their hands for the next Elder Scrolls game. Heck, they've already got a little one going by the looks of it.

P.S. If they really aren't moderating then I would think the nude mods would be dominating their whole system. Are they?

And why would Beth assume that? Exactly the same stuff started happening when they tried paid mods for Skyrim. What could possibly make them think that it will be different this time?

Yup, the 'proof's in the pudding' don't disagree. It's sad.

You must have a moderation system available. If you can't afford to do that then you can't afford to have this feature. Period.

If Bethesda doesn't get this cleaned up and FAST then they are going to have a big, fat mod boycott on their hands for the next Elder Scrolls game. Heck, they've already got a little one going by the looks of it.

Beth is an expert in minimaxing their cost to profit ratio. They will not do anything they want be forced to. Let's remember that they have left most of the patching of their games to the players. Boycott is long overdue IMO.

I played Skyrim when it came out and didn't experience many bugs at all. The biggest one I remember was the guy outside of Whiterun who kept cloning himself.

I also had a game-breaking bug in a very strange situation, but a re-load of the save fixed it (an item didn't spawn at first that was necessary to exit the dungeon. Re-loading the save made the item appear).

So, yeah. Bugs seem random in some ways as to who experiences them and who doesn't.

Back
Top Bottom