CD Projekt - Backs Good Old Games.com

Dhruin

SasqWatch
CD Projekt sent us a press release on a new digital download service they are backing, titled GOG.com (Good Old Games). They promise DRM-free older titles that work with XP and Vista at $5.99 and $9.99...Fallout being one of the titles promised:
Time Travel Invented. GOG.com Brings Good Old Games to the Present
CD Projekt Announces DRM-Free Online Store for Classic PC Games
Warsaw, Poland – July 10, 2008. CD Projekt, best known in the Western world for its award-winning PC RPG, The Witcher, is proud to unveil its invention of time travel. The company sent several representatives to the past and they’ve returned with some amazing findings. Quick to capitalize on the incredible treasures of history, the company is pleased to reveal its newest project, GOG.com. The site, whose name is an acronym for Good Old Games, is a new games-on-demand platform that allows old fogies (and young fogies) to buy some of the best PC games of all time – many of which just can't be found in stores anymore – and play them on modern hardware, completely free of intrusive DRM. GOG.com is poised to become the center of the classic-games universe with a huge community section including forums, user reviews and ratings, as well as insightful commentary and editorials from some of the industry’s most beloved writers. A closed public beta of the site is scheduled for launch on August 1st, and excited old-school gamers can sign up for more info and a chance to enter the beta by visiting GOG.com.
The site makes it tremendously easy for gamers to buy, download and install some of their all-time favorite PC games. The games will be sold for $5.99 or $9.99, are guaranteed to work on Windows Vista and Windows XP systems and are available to download as many times as needed. This is very nice, yes? The DRM-free games, low prices, the site’s ease-of-use and the community are some of the main features that make Good Old Games something more than just another digital distribution outlet.
GOG.com has already lined up agreements with such publishers as Interplay and Codemasters to make their games available on the site. Among the titles those companies are bringing to the site are in-demand classics like Fallout, Freespace 2, Operation Flashpoint: Game of the Year Edition and TOCA Race Driver 3. Negotiations are in progress with several other publishers, with the ultimate goal of GOG.com offering a comprehensive collection of classic PC games from the 80s, 90s and 2000s.
“Our main goal is to create a user-friendly site with the best classic PC games for a price that might be considered impossible to achieve,” said Adam Oldakowski, Managing Director of GOG.com. “The people behind GOG.com are gamers and we all know how difficult it is to find a lot of classic games. So we’ve started building a great games catalogue, gotten rid of the copy protection that gamers hate so much, optimized the games to work on modern operating systems, and made them cheap enough that piracy seems like a rip-off. It’s so easy to buy, download and install a game and then get deeply involved in the community; we’re very confident that gamers will absolutely love the site.”
Okay, so that part about inventing time travel was a lie. Sorry.
More information.

cool :) I really like those CDProjekt guys! (now not only for The Witcher and publishing cool games in Poland) :)

CDProjekt is up to something! Good effort though and i'm sure they could build up fanbase fast and awareness of CDProjekt as a game developer.

Sacrifice & Freespace 2 please.

Lost my Sacrifice cd it seems, and never played Freespace.

Sacrifice & Freespace 2 please.

Lost my Sacrifice cd it seems, and never played Freespace.

Its always good to pay for games no matter what but incase you didnt know freespace open installer does include retail version of freespace 2. And the open version is way better than the original so I would play it only. They even made a mod that converts the first freespace to the level of freespace open so you can play the whole series through with all the improvements.

Have you played it much then Zakhal?

Have you played it much then Zakhal?

Only the first one and expansion. Ive saved the second one for later like good wine. It was the best space sim (mission/campaign based!) when it was released - and now its even better thanks to the open source team. There are many projects based on the FS2 open:
Some of the larger projects in the Freespace community are The Babylon Project, Beyond the Red Line (a Battlestar Galactica mod), and Wing Commander Saga. There's also a number of campaigns both for these mods and the original game's storyline.

Last edited:
Only the first one and expansion. Ive saved the second one for later like good wine. It was the best space sim (mission/campaign based!) when it was released - and now its even better thanks to the open source team. There are many projects based on the FS2 open:

Do you have a link to their site? I would be interested in playing them.

I saw the GOG site but didn't realize it was these guys doing it! I think it is a great idea and can't wait to support them!

Do you have a link to their site? I would be interested in playing them.

Nermind, i found it. I didn't realize there were so many great mods. I am going to have to break out my FS2 disc.

CD Project is quickly becomming my fav dev/publisher.

Pretty cool. Look forward to it!

When I first of this, I was like this O_O - the I was like this :D

If I could decide they should put all the Ultimas, all the Wizardrys, Betrayal at Krondor, Return to Krondor and all the Might and Magic games up there.
And possible some older adventure games as well like the old Gabriel Knight and Tex Murphy games...

are guaranteed to work on Windows Vista and Windows XP systems
I like... a LOT.

Daggerfall and all games by Origin and Westwood please.

wow what a great piece of news! I can't wait to try this out :)

Back
Top Bottom