Interplay - Something new is coming...

As far as Darkest Dungeon, it had many elements of a Dungeon Crawler...

Except for building up your characters the way you want. Because they'll just die or go mad and not be worth the time/money to bring them back from the brink. Personally, that's why I can't get into it - your characters are all throwaway henchmen.

Anyway back to interplay. Do people really have faith interplay would do any game in a useful fashion these days ? (Obviously I have zero faith in the current interplay management team).

Just far too many games adhere to that simple formula. Blizzard reached HUGE success with that - kind of an Nethack clone, as I often said.

What I do love - and I really love oit very, very, VERY much ! - is that the Bard is actually influencing things through Music ! Since Wizardry 8, I haven't seen that. Far, far, far too many games are out there merely sllowing mayhem and slaughter, and not a single game is about music. It's as if music as a gameplay part was an invention of the most evil.

Today, games - and especially most RPGs, and since most RPGs these days are based upon the Action-RPG model - are merely about combat. Battling, swords and slaughter, most don't even offer something more sophisticated that slaghter and maybe some kind of magic.

I bet that most Action-RPG lovers hate The Badrd's Tale 4 for its music. For, as you wrote it, "RPGs should be about killing and levelling up" (my words).

People are I bet hugely irritated by music as a gameplax part. It shouldn't be there, I bet they say. Like zjat enemy in the game already says - oh, what an irony ! - "Music is perversion !"

In the current age of dark, brutal, so called "mature", "heavymetalized" games, a thing like music is simply not wanted. Music is like colours. Music is childish. Music is immature. People want brutality.

I love music in games. I always try to have a bard in the group. Linzy is great in Kingmaker. I enjoyed the music in Bard's Tale 1 remake with the bard's songs.

Two of my favorite games all time are Fantasy General and Heroes of Might and Magic 2. That is because the music was so good in them.

As someone that routinely turns sound off in games almost immediately, I must echo the sentiments expressed above about Bard's Tale Four. The music for the most part is beyond excellent, and totally improves the value of both the game and the playing experience. It is what I expect from practically all games, but very few actually deliver a decent audio track.

To see Planescape again, you just need someone to make a game not set in the material plane.

Planescape never was an universe, WotC made a campaign setting out of the books that explained how the planes worked and what was in it. They discontinued the "campaign setting" with 3e and brought back the content into the core books and supplements.

It has a bigger focus in the core manual for 5e compared to 3e too, I don't own the core manuals for 4e so no idea what it looked like in that one.

Didn't now this. Thanks.

pibbur

Ok, so far, I guess I'm the only one excited about a resurrected Interplay and a potential Baldur's Gate 3…I will tell you though, naysayers be damned, and if this thing does get announced, I will have more than enough excitement for everyone! :biggrin:

Ok, so far, I guess I'm the only one excited about a resurrected Interplay and a potential Baldur's Gate 3…I will tell you though, naysayers be damned, and if this thing does get announced, I will have more than enough excitement for everyone! :biggrin:

By all means, I would really like to see that.

pibbur who is not a naysayer, but who by his nature never gets excited, only mildly happyish.

PS: On a side note, I keep reading the subject line as "Something wicked this way comes". DS.

Well, what I rather meant was music as part of the gameplay, as a skill, for example.
I hardly remember any modern RPG with Bards as a class, too.

Actually the one thing I find really fantastic about BT4 is the sound. Not my kind of music necessarily, but excellent quality. The music riddles are excellent, the voice acting is for the most part very good. Also the enviornmental bard songs are really nice. Its just the Bard's Tale games were dungeon crawlers and not puzzle games, and even as a puzzle game BT4 has a number of problems, which IMO prevent it from being a great game, but that certainly has nothing to do with the sound.

This is my impression, too.
Apart from that kind of music probably being very alien to most international gamers, its quality is really excellent. I think I'm even going to buy at least one album by Julie Fowlis.

I just wished now I had opted for the tier with the music on CD.
I was expecting the norm, good quality music, but not this.
This kind of music really blew me away !

We would all be if the chances of something good coming out of it were high...

Right now a resurrected Interplay and the prospect of a BG3 would be certain disaster, no matter in whose hands it sits.

Yes, call me Doomsayer.

Back
Top Bottom