Anime Discussion Thread

A question for those into it, is it just me or nothing in current winter season is worth watching? Everything I gave a shot for couple of episodes seems mediocre or pathetic. Is there something that turns better afterwards?

is it just me or nothing in current winter season is worth watching?

Not just you. Spring should be much better (so many sequels though).

I am about to finish Full Metal alchemist Brotherhood.
I do not watch much anime, so I thought it was pretty cool.
I think a lot of anime would make for interesting RPGs:
- Rurouni Kenshin: Travelling Samurai fighting other people with an aim to become stronger, gain faim,... Has a tinge of fantasy too with these superhuman strength people who can punch through stone. Good low-fantasy RPG
- Avatar: This was more cutesy than anything, but with some interesting themes about rebirth and virtues versus vices. Could be interesting too. Even has necromancy in disguise. So Zombie Apocalypse is possible :p
- Full Metal Alchemist: Become an alchemist with the aim to find the truth, knowledge, or even become king ?

Anyway, next one is Death Note probably... Any cons ?

No cons, watch that one, immediately!

I never watch a ongoing season. Always waiting to end,and watch or at least bookmark something I find interesting.

As from the winter 2017 I marked:
-Konosuba season 2 (first season was last years best comedy series)
-Ao no Exorcist:Kyoto Fujouou-hen (liked the first enough and going to continue)
-Onihei (saw the fight scenes are done well)
-Youjo Senki (I like the crazy girl character)

Surely going to watch the first two I mentioned,the other two,maybe,If I like it enough.

Joxer which ones did you watch,if you don't mind me asking?

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu is last years highly praised series that I missed.

There is a second season that started this January.

All. I think I tried them all.
About Konosuba, I didn't like the first season and will not return to it.

Hmm,well,there are three possible situations.
1. You set your stake/expectations way too high.
2. There is nothing that matches your taste.
3. The Winter season is garbage and simply put, its too shity.

Of course,there are three solutions to remedy this problem.
1. Take a brake from Anime,it might help to clear your head from it.
As sometimes it gets boring.
Come back to watch with a fresh eyes.
2. Watch some older Anime. Or you sure have a backlog,clear it.
3. Watch Mushishi,as it is a true masterpiece and will restore the faith in Anime. ;)

I didn't lose faith, it's just this winter offer that seems to suck. ;)

I never watch a ongoing season. Always waiting to end,and watch or at least bookmark something I find interesting.

As from the winter 2017 I marked:
-Konosuba season 2 (first season was last years best comedy series)
-Ao no Exorcist:Kyoto Fujouou-hen (liked the first enough and going to continue)
-Onihei (saw the fight scenes are done well)
-Youjo Senki (I like the crazy girl character)

Surely going to watch the first two I mentioned,the other two,maybe,If I like it enough.

Joxer which ones did you watch,if you don't mind me asking?

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu is last years highly praised series that I missed.

There is a second season that started this January.

Hey Black Rune, please keep up your list since my taste in Anime seem to match yours and saves me time looking for new shows! I am really enjoying season 1 of Konosuba.

Black Lagoon, Second Barrage, Roberta's blood trail
http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=3395

Little to no fantasy, dark mood and lots of action. Follows the adventures of a bored salary man who ends up with a kind of mercenary company who operate on an island ruled by mafia and such.
My favorite anime is Ghost in the Shell in all of its forms, FMA, Black Lagoon and Death Note which can make it hard to wade through most of what is available.

Did it. Although "old", Black Lagoon is superb action anime with lots and lots of violence in it's both seasons. Nice animation, good music, easy to follow story, interesting characters - one deadly mistress of doom is not enough in this one. No wonder Hollywood made later a few horrible "nuns with guns" movies trying to milk others' idea.
Highly recommended.

Seven deadly sins season 2 is on Netflix. Season 1 was pretty good. You just had to look past the childish start but then the story became really interesting

Seems season 2 starts the same, hope it also opens up. Maybe I just always need a couple of episodes to get adjusted to the stupid stuff in anime

Watched the first season of Nantsu no Taizai (Seven Deadly Sins) last year.
I found it enjoyable enough. Liked the back stories the most.
And I think it is a bit overrated on MAL (8.4/10).

Right now watching Scrapped Princes,two more episodes to go.
Must say, I like it a lot. Mostly because of the story and events that unfold.
Although,it will not make my all time best list,but memorable show to say the least.

@eva89 Welcome to the wonderful and sometimes twisted world of Anime. :)

The Winter season has passed. And I am slowly getting ready to watch some new stuff.

Actually I started Konosuba SO2, not so good as the first one,hmm. Three episodes in.

Also Onihei. It is pretty good. Four episodes in.

I was busy watching Souten Kouro.
It's not bad. It looked promising. But,in the end,it ended up just like a average series.

Watched Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Ermm..if you like to watch cute litle magical girls kill each other,this one is for you.
You pervs! :)
Not a bad show though. Hehe.

And Akatsuki no Yona.
This one also had so much potential. And it is not bad. But it i too light for me,still it had some entertaining value.

BLAME! on Netflix:
https://www.netflix.com/hr/title/80115466

Highly intriguing dystopian scifi animated movie, IMO worth watching. I didn't read manga so can't say how close it's to the source.
Do give it a shot please. Also please, if it's possible in your area, watch with the original audio.

Funny thing about BLAME!, a scene of it was shown in Knight of Sidonia season 2 (it's an anime only thing, despite both manga being written by the same author).

Not so funny thing is because I was unaware of it before, checked amazon, manga series is being reprinted (ongoing, all 10 volumes) and again it's bloody softcover. No I'm not buying.
Anime got me interested in the whole thing. But I just don't want trade paperback any more!

Last week I finished watching Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu: Sukeroku Futatabi-hen. And of course a few weeks before Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu,the first season from 2016.

Rakugo,the art of storytelling and the Anime about storytelling.

I have a sense that Drama Animes are not popular on this thread, or as widely overall.
So,in this anime there are no giant flying robots,energy power ups,no rivers of blood and mindless action,nor there are boobs in the viewers face.
Not saying that all of it is bad,just pointing out the obvious,I think.

Instead, we get a emotional and story driven anime with a beautiful and very detailed animation style. Strong and brilliant writing.
One of the best voiced shows I ever heard. These actors gave their best,and the sound quality is fantastic.
The show is focused on character development and progression.
Also some human traits,the human condition and human nature.
It explores the struggles of the storytelling trade and acting in front of crowds,as well the struggles of the theater as the society in Japan is more televised.
The show is not all gloomy and in serious tones,it has some humorous side as well.
A lot of jokes flying around. And interesting stories.

So,from me it deserves a gold medal,since it is a truly top quality Anime series.
I do recommend it to all who likes these types of shows as it is one of the best I would say. and if you missed it,do give it a try.

I watched a few Rakugo performances on YT after I watched the Anime. :)
It is similar like a Stand up show.

Watched a bit of Voltron, uh, it's going really fast… it was like one normal season of an anime compressed into 30 minutes, crazy, can't complain about lack of content or being slow.

I can be forgiving that animes are childish and over the top, but mechanical tigers that all needs to be found and connected to create a mega-mech to fight the evil that wants to destroy the galaxy.. yeah, i guess that's about where my limit goes for these sort of things.

I have a sense that Drama Animes are not popular on this thread, or as widely overall.
Forget what's popular man.
Instead, describe why something felt so good or fun watching to you. Noone has the same taste, and believe it or not, people do appreciate when someone suggests them something they also find interesting. Well, at least I do.
No, I mean, I don't watch raw drama materials, wether it's anime or something else, but that doesn't mean you can't persuade me at least into peeking at some quality work. ;)

Back
Top Bottom