Nokia or Motorola ?

alenscrist

Banned
Hi all friends!
Nowadays I am very confuse which mobile is good for me? Many people say Nokia is better than Motorola and many says Motorola is better than Nokia. Please give me some advice on mobile company and which model is good?

Nokia is still world #1 but is sinking fast due to poor OS and screwed up vision and strategy. Moto is doing much better now on the heels of some good choices including the move to Android.

If you are looking for a 'smartphone', Android OS is a good choice, and personally I like my Moto Droid quite a bit. Nokia are crap in the smartphone market due to lousy OS ... the only worse OS for smartphones is Windows Mobile ...

I have a Nokia smartphone. I just got my wife an Android one (HTC Hero) for Christmas. My mom uses an iPhone, and my dad has one of each. (Yes, he's a gadget geek.)

For what it's worth, here's what I've gathered:

If you want a basic phone, for talking, SMS, and little else, go with Nokia — they're inexpensive and reliable.

If you want a smartphone, it gets more complicated.

Nokia (Symbian): reliable but ugly and boring

Nokia (Symbian) pros: stable, well built, priced attractively, great battery life, very good hardware keyboards on many models, great "phone characteristics" (i.e., voice quality, reception, standards support). (I've used my E71 for a couple of years now, and it has given me absolutely zero problems — it's the first phone I've had in years that has only done what it's supposed to do, with no maintenance, glitching, or other issues whatsoever.)

Nokia (Symbian) cons: dated, ugly-looking user interface, limited apps, dated, ugly industrial design, may need third-party extensions e.g. to sync with Google calendar, fussy configuration utilities, feels sluggish compared to many competitors.

Who would like Nokia (Symbian): businesslike engineer types who just want something that gets the job done ("the job" being phone, calendar, SMS, email, GPS+map, and very, very occasionally checking the web for something), doesn't mind being dropped, doesn't run out of battery easily. Also, who won't care much for multimedia or social network type uses, and isn't bothered by the fact that it looks ugly or dated compared to the competition.

Who would hate Nokia (Symbian): anyone for whom attractive design, a slick UI, or "Web 2.0" style features are highly important.

iPhone: beautiful but fragile

iPhone pros: best and most polished usability and, UI, and design on the market, great app store where you can find an app for just about anything, seamless integration with Mac OS X.

iPhone cons: pricey, poor battery life, technical characteristics (voice quality, reception, ruggedness etc.) at best average.

Who would love an iPhone: Anyone with a Mac who also uses its "iLife" features, anyone who uses the phone primarily for other things than talking on it.

Who'd hate an iPhone: Anyone who primarily uses it as a phone, email, and SMS client; anyone who doesn't regularly plug it into the computer anyway to recharge it; anyone who's afraid of breaking it by dropping it.

Android: just growing into its potential

Android pros: pretty good and rather attractive UI, great integration with Google services, lots of apps.

Android cons: platform still relatively new = frequently updated, quality of handsets varies a lot (the HTC Hero is great, the cheaper ones not so much), battery life is pretty poor compared to Nokia (although better than the iPhone).

Who'd love an Android: anyone who wants both very good basic phone and messaging capabilities and "Web 2.0" capabilities; anyone who already uses many of Google's services; anyone who's willing to take merely good-enough rather than best-of-class performance in most areas.

Who'd hate it: Anyone who hates seeing their handset "obsoleted" by fresh Android releases on a frequent basis (and doesn't want to or can't update the firmware).

I have no experience with Blackberries, nor with Nokia's new Maemo platform (of which I have heard good things, though).

Hope this helped!

Another spam turned into serious discussion...really funny

I dont know about other phones but nokia phones come with application that enables you to connect your laptop to internet very easily. I plug one usb wire into the laptop and while the phone is charging the nokia application ask if I want internet-connection. I click mouse once and it connects to internet. Its very handy in P&P RPG. I use small 10" samsung laptop and open office excel for character sheet.

You could buy a laptop with 3G or 3G usb-device but you would have to get another simcard and pay for second internet connection instead of using the one on your mobile phone. So its better to you use mobile phone for the internet.

I dont know about other phones but nokia phones come with application that enables you to connect your laptop to internet very easily. .

That is called 'tethering' ... in the US tethering is carrier dependent for support. Some allow it, others try to charge (some successfully) ;)

As for the discussion-spam... this is a topic of some interest to folks, so why not.

Don't waste your time in this thread. The OP will be banned soon.

Nokia is still world #1 but is sinking fast due to poor OS and screwed up vision and strategy. Moto is doing much better now on the heels of some good choices including the move to Android.

If you are looking for a 'smartphone', Android OS is a good choice, and personally I like my Moto Droid quite a bit. Nokia are crap in the smartphone market due to lousy OS … the only worse OS for smartphones is Windows Mobile …
Raised just to show txa vision was true one year ago. *Applodes* Happened to read this by chance. Was looking else and going to…

EDIT:

Now I cant remember what I was digging up.

Back
Top Bottom