Fallout 76 players say the Atom shop prices are getting out of hand

Still lets all believe Dart over a veteran industry insider.

Which one, the veteran industry insider who seemed to harpoon AAA titles for not meeting expectations. These days, this stance must come along with an adamant attitude toward the crowdfunded scene, which is an industry of underdelivering, they make a business of underdelivering.

Each video on the AAA industry must be mirrored by ten videos on the crowdfunded scene.

Guy peddles opinions for a living, he will broker any opinion he second guesses his viewership desires him to spit.

Guy has an agenda: lining up his pockets with money by telling what people desire to hear.

Today, 13:54
What are you on again?
Players want equal treatment where skills and not wallet matters. Cosmetics are borderline acceptable - while no skin in League of Legends will buff your character, some Fortnite skins tend to be useful for camouflage and could be called pay2win. Lootboxes are not acceptable regardless of the content inside those - it's not videogames, it's gambling.

Anyway, it's not players but only hotel owners who want to win by paying. These people who want to win by paying are not called players, but are called (killer) whales.
http://www.gamesbrief.com/2011/11/wh…-to-play-game/

I'm amused at that fallacy.

There has never been an MMORPG with a level playing field. You can go back to Ultima Online - and unless you started during the first second, someone would already be ahead of you.

The very notion that all players should sit around and be 100% equal and start at the exact same time - and play for the exact same amount of hours each day - is utterly counter to what these games are about. They're about building something in your own way - at your own pace.

Even Quake is unbalanced in that way, because you either spawn next to the Rocket Launcher or you spawn next to the Submachine gun. That alone will break any semblance of balance.

In this case, we're talking 100% cosmetics - which has zero impact regardless.

Of course it's overpriced - almost all MMOs are like that these days. But it's not overpriced if someone is willing to pay for it, now is it.

There are people out there paying 10000$ for a bottle of wine. Is that overpriced? Not to those people, apparently. Heck, they'll argue it's worth it.

I fully understand that there's a bunch of people against anything like this on principle - but, as I've often said, principles make you stupid.

I also know that there are highly competitive ego-driven people who think their skill in a video game matters to anyone except themselves - and they have this fantasy scenario of a multiplayer game with any level of free-roaming and RPG elements that's actually balanced.

Well, not balanced exactly - just one that they can exploit to their own advantage without other people getting in the way of polishing their tiny egos ;)

But such games don't exist - and, if they did, they'd be incredibly boring - and there'd only be one winner, which is pretty bad for business :)

You can take every single MMO in the world and you can start playing now - and thousands or millions of people will be FAR ahead of you in terms of "advantage".

That's just the nature of these games and, once again, you have to actually know what the hell you're talking about to speak about it from a position of authority.

I'm afraid people who haven't even played FO76 and who're inexperienced enough to actually trust everything they hear from drama-queen Youtube "personalities" - are very, very hard to take seriously here.

It's like you don't know that they're making a living out of drama and they have to say SOMETHING - or they lose income.

I mean, if you had actually PLAYED the game and had actually given it a CHANCE to not suck - then maybe I could take it seriously.

At this point, it's just another dunce-driven circle jerk by entitled whiners who don't have a clue what they're talking about :)

It's no different from the Andromeda debacle - or the upcoming Anthem debacle.

FO76 has issues, no doubt. They messed up PR very, very badly - that's true. But unless you have perspective and you can keep things within reasonable proportions - you're making your case look weaker than it actually might be.

Does not matter. The journey is the reward.

There you go, made me quote a fortune cookie. ;)

Excellent. So now this whole stuff is about the journey.

It is one thing not to read other posters' comments and another not to remember one's own posts.

The journey is the reward and people are bothered cosmetic items are sold for money.

Brilliant.

The journey is the reward and people are bothered cosmetic items are sold for money.

Brilliant.

Haha, no, people (small group of vocal detractors) aren't bothered by cosmetic microtransactions. They're bothered that Bethsoft went mainstream like all the other AAA CRPG developers many years ago.

A small and ignorant part of the gaming audience has this idea that game developers exist to make them - and only them - happy, and that any significant deviation from the expected formula is a kind of treason. Entitled whiners, I like to call them.

They like to pretend that Fallout, Baldur's Gate, Daggerfall and Morrowind were the pinnacle of game design - when, in reality, they were too young and inexperienced to detect their flaws and the compromises.

Some companies are exempt from this concept of appealing ever wider and going "console" - (like CDPR and Piranha Bytes) - and other companies are scorned (Bioware and Bethsoft).

There's no rhyme or reason at all. It's just a grudge carried by people who don't understand the reality of the industry and that developers aren't obligated to cater to all preferences.

I guess I'm fortunate in that I like all these games, and I don't give a shit who makes them. It's not like they're my friends or they owe me anything at all.

I'm still fascinated by the irrational responses, though - and it's always fun to point out the stupidity.

For Bethsoft, most of their games are massively more popular than, say, CDPR games. I mean, Skyrim and Fallout 4 both sold 20+ million copies IIRC.

Which means that the large audience (the one that actually matters to the suits) are very, very happy with these games.

Now, for Fallout 76 - they definitely messed up, no doubt. It has more issues than it should have had - and the PR mistakes are hard to ignore.

But I'm willing to bet it's going to end up being a reasonable hit over time - and I'm sure it will sell a very decent amount of units.

There's a small subset of the community that's being EXTREMELY vocal about the issues - and they're doing everything they can do blow every little thing way, way out of proportion, because they're so petty - now that there's finally a game from Bethsoft that the wider audience isn't entirely happy with.

But they're not going to matter in the long run. Bethsoft will continue to profit and make the games they want to make.

Which, to me, is a great thing. I can't wait for Starfield and Elder Scrolls 6. Both are among my most anticipated titles.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom