The TV Series discussion thread

Yeah, Stranger Things (1) was never about the action, but rather that 80's E.T./Goonies/Spielberg nostalgia goodness. I too hope the producers didn't lose sight of that.

Yeah, Stranger Things (1) was never about the action, but rather that 80's E.T./Goonies/Spielberg nostalgia goodness. I too hope the producers didn't lose sight of that.
It's Hollywood's way, with more money comes bigger explosions.

Orville is so strange, the humor is so off that it just leaves me with a "uh, what?" It's like they could not decide what to go with so they only get halfway to comedy (which isnt really comedy) and to drama (which isn't really drama, or something that can be taken even remotely seriously). I would have really liked to see it either a full blown, "serious" sci-fi series or just over-the-top comedy / parody, which could have been really awesome, so much potential. What a waste.

Curb your Enthusiasm is great so far, first episode was especially great. Hilarious that SJW's gets so triggered by it, makes it even more enjoyable.

Gotta watch latest Dirk Gently too, S1 was fantastic, up there with Stranger Things.

Orville is so strange, the humor is so off that it just leaves me with a "uh, what?" It's like they could not decide what to go with so they only get halfway to comedy (which isnt really comedy) and to drama (which isn't really drama, or something that can be taken even remotely seriously). I would have really liked to see it either a full blown, "serious" sci-fi series or just over-the-top comedy / parody, which could have been really awesome, so much potential. What a waste.
That's probably why critics didn't like it, they were expecting a comedy and they saw Sci-Fi, or they were expecting Sci-Fi and they saw comedy. Basically the show works when you don't box your mind into watching a specific genre. When you watch The Orville you're not watching strictly sci-fi or comedy, you're watching The Orville.

That's probably why critics didn't like it, they were expecting a comedy and they saw Sci-Fi, or they were expecting Sci-Fi and they saw comedy. Basically the show works when you don't box your mind into watching a specific genre. When you watch The Orville you're not watching strictly sci-fi or comedy, you're watching The Orville.

sure, but it doesn't work to its advantage, again, it gets halfway there. i guess its good if you like bad comedy and bad drama, if you want proper comedy there are many excellent shows, if you want a great drama or more serious sci-fi there are other shows.

I love shows like twin peaks, it's a show which is also kind of genreless, it can be comedy, horror, drama, sci-fi, i really couldn't care what genre it is, as long as it does what it does well. I can't say that for this show.

sure, but it doesn't work to its advantage, again, it gets halfway there. i guess its good if you like bad comedy and bad drama, if you want proper comedy there are many excellent shows, if you want a great drama or more serious sci-fi there are other shows.

I love shows like twin peaks, it's a show which is also kind of genreless, it can be comedy, horror, drama, sci-fi, i really couldn't care what genre it is, as long as it does what it does well. I can't say that for this show.

Well that's your opinion of course. I actually find the comedy works well (not the actual jokes but the comedic parts like the Practical Joke of episode 4 I think was brilliant), and the drama is good enough for me.
I can relate to the problem too, my favorite TV series is Doctor Who, but the first time I watched it dismissed it because I was expecting a serious sci-fi show with time travel and when I saw it was a goofy sort-of-comedy show I stopped watching it. It was years later that I decided to try it again, but now knowing what to expect, I ended up not only enjoying it, but becoming a fan of the show.

Well, for all its faults, I'm liking Orville more than Discovery. Discovery is really rubbing me the wrong way with its stiff, portentous acting and the awful dialog writing. The SciFi woo is also more incoherent and silly than it ever was, while also taking itself more seriously.

I haven't even watched the last few episodes of Orville nor do I feel any desire to. I really wanted to like it, but I think I'm a victim of my own expectations in this case.

I still think it could have been a lot better (funnier) had it been on cable as opposed to Fox.

Yes and yes. :)

I wanted to watch Discovery on my phone, but the CBS app is only for tablets and TVs, apparently. Poop.

Also, Orville is pretty pathetic when compared to TOS and TNG "reunions" on Futurama and other cartoons.

Anyone watching the man in the high castle?

I think it's quite good and I enjoy the while concept of alternate history too.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

I've read it but want to watch the series if ever possible. I think there's a disconnection though because the era it was written in there was a real understanding of the events that happened. Its better than the usual "whatif" because how much he focuses on people and their individual stories and you realize the parallels what "really" happened. I also loved the ending. Its got so many of those PhilipKDickensian themes wrapped in one of his better stories.

I've read it but want to watch the series if ever possible. I think there's a disconnection though because the era it was written in there was a real understanding of the events that happened. Its better than the usual "whatif" because how much he focuses on people and their individual stories and you realize the parallels what "really" happened. I also loved the ending. Its got so many of those PhilipKDickensian themes wrapped in one of his better stories.

I am very interested in WWII history, so I think I know and understand a large part of the characters. Although, only the major ones ...

That's what makes the series really interesting.

Just watched the latest Punisher trailer. Doesn't look good to me. It seems they are trying to turn Frank into a regular hero instead of the anti-hero he has always been in the past, destroying what made him special.

Watching "The last Kingdom", now I'm at S02e4, which is a pleasant surprise. So if you like Vikings, you probably like this one as much.

I watched the Last Kingdom simply because of how much I enjoyed the books, and found it decent. I think whoever they chose as Uhtred was a horrible pick, but other than that I really enjoyed the show.

The Last Kingdom was unknown to me when I encountered it on netflix. And hence was a complete surprise how great it was. Love the more bleak (and real?) atmosphere and the pace is fast. Can't wait for the next season. I never read the books but I read some books of Cornwell a long time ago (if it is the same author), specifically his interpretation of the legend of Arthur, and the show represents his style pretty well.

I thought Vikings was pretty standard and mainstream in comparison. In fact I was first following vikings before I switched over to the last kingdom. Although Vikings was actually not that bad so I might pick it up again.

These days also watching the good place among other things, which I don't think has been mentioned here yet. Enjoying it, there is a nice twist at the end of season 1 (didn't see it coming although the signs are there when I look at it afterwards).

We love the Good Place, it's a short, interesting show with a nice cast. It will be hard to have such a good surprise this season but, if any show could actually pull it off, this one might.

We love the Good Place, it's a short, interesting show with a nice cast. It will be hard to have such a good surprise this season but, if any show could actually pull it off, this one might.

Never heard of it. Checked it out via google and it looks fascinating. I'll check it out this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom